• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Born in the US but Canadian First Nations?

IBmikmaq

Inactive
Reaction score
I curious, it states as part of the application process one of the requirements of joining is that one must first be a Canadian Citizen. However, I was born in Boston but lived in Canadian in an aboriginal community (Mikmaq)  since I was 11. I have always been a status Indian under the Canadian Indian Act so never felt a need to apply for Canadian Citizenship and basically used my status card to enter Canada when ever I leave the Country.  All my Identifications are Canadian except for my american passport.
Presently I am in my second year of Law at the Schulich school of law at Dalhousie and I have two under-grad degrees so law officer interest me so.

My question is this; Can I enter the Canadina Army as a Canadian Aboriginal with an American citizenship?

respectfully, 

Michael

Forgive me for asking, but isn't there someone at your school who could more accurately answer this question than we can?

You seem to represent an unique situation.

I presume that at least one of your parents are Canadian by birth? If so, that probably makes you a Canadian by descent regardless of your place of birth. You might still have to formally request such citizenship be confirmed.

Both my parents were Canadians, my father was a steal worker like so many other Canadian Aboriginal because they have no fears of height. My father worked in the States for many years building skyscrapers in New York and Boston, hence why I was born in the States. I did not realize I could be a Canadian because of this fact, I only assumed because my birth certificate is american as is my passport. Because I am status I never had to consider whether I could be considered a Canadian. Thanks I will look more into this new information.

This may be a helpful resource, or at least a starting point.

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/aboriginalprograms-93

Thank you for your interest in Canadian Armed Forces.

To apply to the Forces, you must:

Be a Canadian Citizen.
Be 17 years of age, with parental consent, or older, except:
Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applications must be 16 or older.
Have completed at least Grade 10 or Secondaire IV (in Quebec).
Certain entry programs and occupations require higher levels of education.

It is suggested that you contact Immigration Canada at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/. They will be able to answer your questions.

IBmikmaq said:
Both my parents were Canadians, my father was a steal worker like so many other Canadian Aboriginal because they have no fears of height. My father worked in the States for many years building skyscrapers in New York and Boston, hence why I was born in the States. I did not realize I could be a Canadian because of this fact, I only assumed because my birth certificate is american as is my passport. Because I am status I never had to consider whether I could be considered a Canadian. Thanks I will look more into this new information.

So, given the foregoing it should be a simple matter of making an application.

Go here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp

It will take you through the steps. You'll wind up clicking back and forth through several pages, but this is the path you need to follow.

Good day,

First Nations/Inuit/Métis.  Status cards for First Nations and Canadian Métis are legitimate forms of identification for enrolment.  However, they are not proof of Canadian citizenship. Applicants still have to provide a Citizenship card, or birth certificate as proof of citizenship.  Applicants can go to Canada Immigration Info http://www.canada-immigration-info.ca/index.htm  to get information on how to attain any of these documents.

A reminder as well in accordance with the read first post that this form is for Recruits to ask questions to be answered by qualified CAF recruiters ONLY!

Back