• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bowe Bergdahl: Missing in AFG 2009, Released 2014, Tried 2015

zipperhead_cop said:
.... that was a pretty slick video.  I would hazard a guess that Hezbollah has been coaching them?

Not quite - more like Al Qaeda:
.... Taliban’s re-branding project began by sending a start up team as interns to Al Qaeda’s video production unit Al Sahab in 2006 and very soon afterwards in early 2007 their own production standards visibly improved ....

More:
.... Some of the Taliban videos are produced by a group that calls itself As-Sahab Media, which has put out videos of al-Qaida leaders such as Ayman al-Zawahiri. These videos feature computer graphics -- and Arabic subtitles ....

The latest - Taliban whine "how can you complain about our 'journalistic' video of only one prisoner when you have Abu Ghraib?":
.... Today when the Mujahideen have captured their only soldier and released his interview in accordance with all principles of journalism, the Americans consider this as an act of violation of human rights and disrespect to the prisoner! The Mujahideen of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan being armed with all noble Afghan traditions and Islamic norms and principles will not have a conduct with the prisoner like the Americans had with prisoners or they are having but this prisoner will enjoy all the rights, that the great and sacred religion of Islam bestows on prisoners ....
::)  More on full statement (.pdf compressed to fit) attached.

From Stars & Stripes:
ISAF officials today marked the one-year anniversary of the disappearance of Spc. Bowe Bergdahl, declared missing after he didn't show up for a unit roll call last summer. By mid-July commanders knew where he was; a Taliban propaganda video showed the young soldier in their captivity.

Bergdahl, a member of the 1st Battalion, 501st Infantry Regiment, is the only known U.S. servicemember currently being held by enemy fighters. Taliban commanders released two more videos featuring the soldier from Idaho in December 2009 and April 2010, demanding the release of prisoners at Naval Station Guantanamo Bay in exchange for his freedom.

But since then no news has surfaced about the soldier or his condition ....

More in ISAF statement and the Idaho Mountain Express.

He is a deserter. The taliban dont hold prisoners very long and Bergdahl is still alive.

Bumped with the latest ......
The family of a U.S. soldier held captive by the Taliban for over two years said on Wednesday they were optimistic about the possibility of talks between the Afghan insurgent group and countries including the United States.

They expressed hope that Bowe Bergdahl would be freed "as soon as possible" in a statement issued a day after the Taliban said they had reached a preliminary agreement to set up a political office in the Gulf Arab country of Qatar.

"We are optimistic about the possibility of diplomatic discussions between Taliban officials and government officials from other nations, including the United States," the family said in a statement released through the Idaho National Guard.

"Our only son, Bowe Bergdahl, has been held captive for two and a half years. We hope he will be released as soon as possible. We know that serious discussions among diplomats are the most likely way to make this happen, and for Bowe to be returned safely to us, his family," it added.

Bergdahl, of Hailey, Idaho, was a member of the 1st Battalion of the 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment in Afghanistan when he went missing in June 2009. Three days later, the U.S. military declared him captured by the Taliban.

In May 2011, Robert Bergdahl posted an online appeal asking the government of Pakistan and its armed forces to help free his son. In July, the NATO security force in Afghanistan said U.S. and NATO forces had made bringing Bergdahl home a top priority.

The Afghan Taliban announced a preliminary deal on Tuesday to set up a political office in Qatar, which could lead to diplomatic talks, and asked for the release of prisoners held at the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. (link to statement text at Army.ca) ....
Reuters, 5 Jan 12

I wonder how much, if any, having a Taliban store-front in Qatar'll help this guy, too? 

Taliban:  we ain't releasing this guy in exchange for Gitmo releases.....
Aljazeera television published an unconfirmed report yesterday in which it claimed that 3 officials of Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan have been released from Guantanamo in exchange for the American prisoner Bergdahl who is held by Islamic Emirate. Aljazeera channel also said that their claim has been confirmed by officials of Islamic Emirate however the reality is that all these assertions are baseless which are not affirmed by any officials of Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan. We strongly urge all news agencies to avoid damaging their reputation by publishing such untrue reports. They should also avoid coming under the influence the western media outlets which want to portray as if all the problems have been solved and through which, they want to spread concerns and keep the Muslims masses in the dark. Our enemies must similarly realize that the courageous people of Afghanistan under the leadership of Islamic Emirate will continue their legitimate struggle and armed Jihad until all the occupying forces are expelled from this soil.

The spokesman of Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, Zabihullah Mujahid
jihadology.net blog, 10 Jan 12

Nothing on Al Jazeera English web site on this at this point.

Bump with the latest from the parents, seeking a prisoner swap .....
Nearly three years after finding out their son Bowe was taken hostage by enemy forces while serving with the U.S. Army in Afghanistan, Hailey-area residents Bob and Jani Bergdahl are breaking a long silence, hopeful that renewed awareness about Bowe's plight will lead to his release and return home to Idaho.

In an interview with the Idaho Mountain Express, the Bergdahls said they believe Bowe is alive and could be brought home through aggressive negotiations or, possibly, a prisoner exchange. They said they are now vocally supporting grassroots efforts to bring their son's case into the spotlight, in part because of mounting frustration over the inability of the U.S. government to negotiate Bowe's release.

"There is a dynamic here that has changed," Bob Bergdahl said. "Everybody is frustrated with how slowly the process has evolved."

Pursuant to that frustration, Mr. Bergdahl said he and his wife now want to publicly thank activists across the globe who have initiated petitions and awareness campaigns to recognize Bowe and plead for his safe return to the United States. And, Mr. and Mrs. Bergdahl said, they are advocating that the Pentagon and the White House consider swapping one or more U.S. prisoners being held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, for their son.

"I'm pushing it hard," Mr. Bergdahl said. "We started out by trying to encourage the Taliban to take care of our son. ... Now, we're worried that the government isn't concerned enough to put him on the (negotiating) table."

Mr. Bergdahl said he and his wife want to see a peaceful resolution to the standoff, preferably one that doesn't put other American soldiers in harm's way in order to secure Bowe's freedom.

"We don't want to see Americans killed," he said.

Mrs. Bergdahl said the family has reasons to believe that Bowe is still in captivity in Afghanistan or Pakistan.

"We know he is doing as well as he can be," she said.

Mr. Bergdahl said he believes a deal to swap Taliban prisoners at Guantanamo for Bowe would be a "win-win" for the United States—his son could be returned safely to Idaho and the government could foster goodwill with the Afghan people.

(....)

Mr. Bergdahl said he is hopeful that the grassroots movement petitioning for Bowe's release gains new momentum.

"We want to get the people going, to raise awareness that there is an American POW," he said. "It's the power of the people. If we could get (comedian) Jimmy Fallon to Tweet about it, that would be something."

Mr. and Mrs. Bergdahl said two campaigns this year to free Bowe stand out as examples of how much Bowe's case has touched people across the world. One was a petition drive by Wisconsin Eagle Scout Johnny Weber, 15, who was adopted three and a half years ago by Brenda and Rick Weber of Wausau, Wisc., from an orphanage in central Russia. He started the petition after meeting Sen. John McCain on a trip to Washington, D.C. Weber on April 23 sent to the Idaho Mountain Express a copy of a letter he sent to President Barack Obama. In the letter, he says he collected more than 55,000 signatures.

"I would like to know if my family and I can come to Washington, D.C., and hand you the petitions," he says. "I realize you are Sgt. Bergdahl's boss as you are the commander in chief and I believe they belong to you now. ... My vow is to honor our veterans and soldier every day and invite everyone to join me."

The second campaign was started in the Himalayan nation of Nepal, where Dr. Nanda Singh has been gathering signatures of supporters in the city of Katmandu. He said his goal is the "safe and speedy release of Sgt. Bowe."

The Bergdahls both said they would like to issue a public "thank you" to Weber, Singh and all of the other supporters who have joined their cause ....
Idaho Mountain Express, 9 May 12

See previous post re:  the latest (10 Jan 12) on the Taliban's position on a prisoner swap ....

Its unlike the taliban to keep a prisoner this long,unless Bergdahl is of some use to them.

tomahawk6 said:
Its unlike the taliban to keep a prisoner this long,unless Bergdahl is of some use to them.
Life imitating art?  "Homeland"

Rolling Stone magazine's take:
The mother and father sit at the kitchen table in their Idaho farmhouse, watching their son on YouTube plead for his life. The Taliban captured 26-year-old Bowe Bergdahl almost three years ago, on June 30th, 2009, and since that day, his parents, Jani and Bob, have had no contact with him. Like the rest of the world, their lone glimpses of Bowe – the only American prisoner of war left in either Iraq or Afghanistan – have come through a series of propaganda videos, filmed while he's been in captivity.

In the video they're watching now, Bowe doesn't look good. He's emaciated, maybe 30 pounds underweight, his face sunken, his eye sockets like caves. He's wearing a scraggly beard and he's talking funny, with some kind of foreign accent. Jani presses her left hand across her forehead, as if shielding herself from the images onscreen, her eyes filling with tears. Bob, unable to look away, hits play on the MacBook Pro for perhaps the 30th time. Over and over again, he watches as his only son, dressed in a ragged uniform, begs for someone to rescue him.

"Release me, please!" Bowe screams at the camera. "I'm begging you – bring me home!"

Private First Class Bowe Bergdahl arrived in Afghanistan at the worst possible moment, just as President Barack Obama had ordered the first troop surge in the spring of 2009. Rather than withdraw from a disastrous and increasingly deadly war started by his predecessor, the new commander in chief had decided to escalate the conflict, tripling the number of troops to 100,000 and employing a counterinsurgency strategy that had yet to demonstrate any measurable success. To many on Obama's staff, who had been studying Lessons in Disaster, a book about America's failure in Vietnam, the catastrophe to come seemed almost preordained. "My God," his deputy national security adviser Tom Don­ilon said at the time. "What are we getting this guy into?" Over the next three years, 13,000 Americans would be killed or wounded in Afghanistan – more than during the previous eight years of war under George W. Bush.

Bowe's own tour of duty in Afghanistan mirrored the larger American experience in the war – marked by tragedy, confusion, misplaced idealism, deluded thinking and, perhaps, a moment of insanity. And it is with Bowe that the war will likely come to an end. On May 1st, in a surprise visit to Bagram Air Force Base in Afghanistan, President Obama announced that the United States will now pursue "a negotiated peace" with the Taliban. That peace is likely to include a prisoner swap – or a "confidence-building measure," as U.S. officials working on the negotiations call it – that could finally end the longest war in America's history. Bowe is the one prisoner the Taliban have to trade. "It could be a huge win if Obama could bring him home," says a senior administration official familiar with the negotiations. "Especially in an election year, if it's handled properly." ....

Bergdahl walked away from his base.He is at the least AWOL and quite possibly a deserter.His parents are complaining not enough is being done to get him back. I wouldnt risk the life of one SF operator to gain his release.

tomahawk6 said:
Bergdahl walked away from his base.He is at the least AWOL and quite possibly a deserter ....
Even the Rolling Stone article shares that version of events - from the article:
.... Ordinary soldiers, especially raw recruits facing combat for the first time, respond to the horror of war in all sorts of ways. Some take their own lives: After years of seemingly endless war and repeat deployments, active­duty soldiers in the U.S. Army are currently committing suicide at a record rate, 25 percent higher than the civilian population. Other soldiers lash out with unauthorized acts of violence: the staff sergeant charged with murdering 17 Afghan civilians in their homes last March; the notorious "Kill Team" of U.S. soldiers who went on a shooting spree in 2010, murdering civilians for sport and taking parts of their corpses for trophies. Many come home permanently traumatized, unable to block out the nightmares.

Bowe Bergdahl had a different response. He decided to walk away.

In the early-morning hours of June 30th, according to soldiers in the unit, Bowe approached his team leader not long after he got off guard duty and asked his superior a simple question: If I were to leave the base, would it cause problems if I took my sensitive equipment?

Yes, his team leader responded – if you took your rifle and night-vision goggles, that would cause problems.

Bowe returned to his barracks, a roughly built bunker of plywood and sandbags. He gathered up water, a knife, his digital camera and his diary. Then he slipped off the outpost.

Bowe might have spent his childhood hiking in the mountains of Idaho, but the terrain he now faced was nothing like back home. To get to Pakistan, he would first have to descend some 1,500 feet from the mountain outpost and skirt the village of Yaya Kheyl, a town known for harboring Taliban. At that hour, there would be few people on the main road through Paktiki, dubbed "Route Audi" by U.S. forces. But as dawn broke, a stream of motorbikes and pedestrians would start to pass by. Alone, white-skinned and likely wearing his Army uniform, Bowe would have stood out immediately ....

tomahawk6 said:
.... I wouldnt risk the life of one SF operator to gain his release.
Along those lines, here's an excerpt from "No Easy Day", the book about the Bin Laden raid:
.... Private First Class Bowe Bergdahl disappeared on June 30, 2009. A Taliban group captured him and quickly moved him closer to the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan in hopes of getting him across. Our intelligence analysts tracked every lead after his disappearance, and we launched several rescue attempts but came up empty. It was a race to get him back before they smuggled him to Pakistan.

One evening just after the first video appeared, we got word they might have [a] possible location for him. ‘Intelligence says he was likely in this area south of Kabul today,’ our troop commander said, pointing at a map of central Afghanistan. ‘We don't have much intel to go off of, but this is a priority.”

We never found Bergdahl on that deployment, and as of the summer of 2012 he was still a prisoner. But in my gut, I think he was there at some point. We probably missed him by a few hours, or maybe in the fight they were able to escape ....
Source:  Stars and Stripes, 6 Sept 12

The taliban arent known for keeping prisoners alive for long. I think he probably converted to Islam and is of some value to them.

The family of an American prisoner of war captured nearly four years ago in Afghanistan says it has received a letter it believes was written by him.

U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl of Hailey, Idaho, disappeared from his base in Afghanistan on June 30, 2009, and is believed held in Pakistan.

His mother and father in Idaho issued a statement on Thursday saying they’ve received a letter they are confident was written by their son.

In the statement, Bob and Jani Bergdahl say the letter, delivered through the International Committee of the Red Cross, gives them hope that their son is doing as well as can be expected, under the circumstances.

“Our family is greatly relieved and encouraged by this letter,” they wrote.

They didn’t release excerpts from the letter or detail its content.

They thanked the Red Cross for its help and support — and renewed their plea for his captors to release Bergdahl, who turned 27 on March 28 ....
Army Times, 6 Jun 13

I'll believe it when he's free ....
The Afghan Taliban are ready to free a U.S. Army soldier held captive since 2009 in exchange for five of their senior operatives imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay as a conciliatory gesture, a senior spokesman for the group said Thursday.

The offer follows this week’s official opening of a Taliban political office in Doha, the capital of the Gulf state of Qatar.

The only known American soldier held captive from the Afghan war is Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl of Hailey, Idaho. He disappeared from his base in southeastern Afghanistan on June 30, 2009, and is believed held in Pakistan.

In an exclusive telephone interview with The Associated Press from his Doha office, Taliban spokesman Shaheen Suhail said Thursday that Bergdahl “is, as far as I know, in good condition. “

Suhail did not elaborate on Bergdahl’s whereabouts ....
Army Times, 20 Jun 13

Statement by ISAF Commander GEN Joseph F. Dunford
Today marks four years that U.S. Army Sergeant Bowe W. Bergdahl has been held captive.  Sgt. Bergdahl, from Hailey, Idaho, was discovered missing during a unit roll-call in Afghanistan on June 30, 2009.

"Four years later, we are still waiting for Sgt. Bergdahl's safe return, and it is my sincere hope that the wait will soon come to an end.  To Sgt. Bergdahl's family, I want to say that we know you have not given up hope, and neither have we," said Gen. Joseph F. Dunford, Commander of ISAF.

"I understand the people of Hailey, Idaho continue to remember Sgt. Bergdahl this year by planting a tree and hosting a 500-bike motorcycle ride. Our thoughts and prayers are with them and would like nothing more than to see him returned to his loved ones,” Dunford said.

Sgt. Bergdahl was declared Duty Status Whereabouts Unknown (DUSTWUN) on July 1, 2009, and his status was changed to "Missing-Captured" on July 3, 2009. Sgt. Bergdahl is listed as a member of the 1st Battalion, 501st Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division, from Fort Richardson, Alaska.
ISAF Info-machine, 30 Jun 13

A few updates .....
Bowe Bergdahl of Hailey, Idaho is the only known U.S. soldier currently being held by the Taliban and today the Pentagon confirms what we reported earlier this week, that they do indeed have a video proving he is still alive.

“I can confirm that that is in fact the case, we are aware of a new proof of life video.  We believe it was shot recently,” said Rear Admiral John Kirby, the Pentagon’s Press Secretary.

The video has a time reference of December 14th, 2013, just 5 weeks ago, and it’s the first proof of life since videos released in 2011.

“"Release me please I'm begging you. Bring me home. Bring us all home. Please," said Bergdahl in a video the Taliban released in 2010 ....
KPVI TV, 17 Jan 14

The father of a soldier who fell into Taliban hands four years ago in Afghanistan launched a White House petition drive on Friday to get his son freed.

Robert Bergdahl, whose son Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, 27, of Ketchum, Idaho, vanished from a remote U.S. fire base near Pakistan in June 2009 and is officially considered “missing-captured,” tweeted links to the petition which had collected 141 signatures by Saturday morning.

“Please Sign The White House Petition to free Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl Prisoner of War,” Robert Bergdahl tweeted late Friday.

His petition, on the heels of a reported new video of the missing G.I., is a general call to “take action to secure the release, or rescue, of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, using all means available, including force.” ....
ABC News, 18 Jan 14

Afghanistan’s Taliban said Sunday it has suspended “mediation” with the United States to exchange captive Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl for five senior Taliban prisoners held at Guantanamo Bay, halting — at least temporarily — what was considered the best chance yet of securing the 27-year-old soldier’s freedom since his capture in 2009.

In a terse Pashto language statement emailed to The Associated Press, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahed blamed the “current complex political situation in the country” for the suspension.

A U.S. official with knowledge of the talks said the cause of the suspension was not the result of any issue between the United States and Taliban. He declined to elaborate and spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to journalists ....
Army Times, 23 Feb 14

This Breaking NEWS coming from the BBC reference US soldier held by Taliban:

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

LINK

BBC NEWS, ASIA
31 May 2014 Last updated at 12:50 ET

US soldier Bowe Bergdahl freed from Afghanistan

A US soldier who has been held by the Taliban in Afghanistan for nearly five years has been freed in deal that includes the release of five Afghan detainees, US officials say.

US Army Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl, 28, was handed over to US forces in good health, the officials said.

The five Afghan detainees have been released from the US prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

They were handed over to Qatar, which mediated the transfer.

Sgt Bergdahl was the only US soldier being held by the Taliban in Afghanistan.

More on LINK

Back