• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadets with Reserves on FTXs...

My CO told me and the other seniours, that he is trying to get us on and FTX with the regiment. Also, we have a few guys from the Regiment come on FTX's with us, and i agree that its easyer that way.

The best way is to write a memo about it and pass it up.  Like they said, doesn't matter if you don't have that high of a rank.  If the idea's good, it will be tossed around.  All you have to do is make it "official" by writing that memo.
Having reserve people go on cadet FTX could be an idea, however, there's the issue of pay there.  Not all reserve people have a lot of free time to give out. 

True. Let me just use the ex. of my sqn. When we go to the bush, our AFU comes with to provide med support (they're a med company) as well as general duties that we can't preform due to time restraints or other such things. For ex. when we are in classes, they are the ones watching the fires. Also, they show us some small things, like how to put up the mod/bell tents and how to properly light the Coleman stoves and immersion heaters. Good thing, year before we were affiliated, one of the seniors messed up and we had a flaming heater go flying through the air!  ;D

As to the pay thing, I do believe that they are being paid for the time they spend with us.

In regards to the pay, could that be the stem of the problem?

Perhaps the unit asks for volunteers, and unless they get a certain quota of volunteers they will not send out any men. That means they don't have to pay them for something that does not contribute to the units effort.

Two things to remember here regarding reserve members. 
Most of us are either students, or employed, or in my case, both.  5 courses in university, plus I drive a big rig truck as a part time job.  I need my weekend money to pay rent and food and bills.  Leaving on an FTX on a voluntary basis with cadets means dropping 25% of my monthly income.  That is a  lot of money when you're on a tight budget.  And if I take time off, like right now, it's to spend in books cramming like a madman for finals.

Now I'm an extreme case.  Not everyone is that strung out with time and money.  Would I be done with school and have free weekends, I'd do it on a voluntary basis.  It looks just as good in a resume as volunteering with the Big Brothers :P

Here's another issue.  The regiment pays for the member.  The regiment is also on a tight budget.  So for the pay problem, the regiment might just not want to waste the little work days they have for actual training on such a project.  Of course there's always ways around this, like splitting wages between the regiment and the corps and whatnot. 

As for asking for volunteers, I've never heard such a call. 

Personnaly, I'm all for a kind of a program like this and I like the idea.  And I think I might toss it around with some people at the regiment. 

The way I understand it, is that 28 Med (AFU) asks for volunteers to send. We normally have four come with us. 28 Med takes care of the pay, though that may not be correct, I'll see if I can get back to you on it, and they use the time to make sure they still have a decent idea of what they're doing. As they're a med company and we're teens in the woods...we tend to need them!

If they'd ask for volunteers I'm sure a few people would go for it.  Especially those with former cadet experiences.  Again it's all about the regiment wanting to fork out the money. 

Back