• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadets with Reserves on FTXs...

MikeL said:
So, your Cadet corp goes on excercises with your affiliated unit, an are givin weapons and ammo, and run around   playing enemy force or your own platoon, something doesn't sound right there... Maybe Cadets in the '80s an prior did stuff like this, but I can't see it happening now.

Believe it. It has happened a lot in the past at our unit, and is happening again soon. Cadets will be acting as en force, alongside BMQ/SQ qualified troops, with Militia NCOs supervising. All have weapons and ammo.

FSgt_mandal said:
There are Air Cadet sqns with affiliated reg/reserve units?!?! I want one :( lol. But seriously, this is the first I've ever heard of Air Cadets with affiliated units. Does it happen often?

When I was with Cadets we were affiliated with Inch's MH Sqn out of Shearwater, NS. Even got to go for a ride in the Sea King once.....and we came back!! Sorry Inch, couldn't resist.

Good supporting points from people here wanting to foster an interest in the CF, I like to think that should be one of the major aims of the Cadet movement and one of the goals for members of the affiliated Reg or Res units. Again, in Cadets you have future members of said units, why not expose them to as much as possible/safe to keep that interest alive?

Caesar said:
Believe it. It has happened a lot in the past at our unit, and is happening again soon. Cadets will be acting as en force, alongside BMQ/SQ qualified troops, with Militia NCOs supervising. All have weapons and ammo.

It used to happen quite regularly, though cadets now fall under tighter restrictions.  They are allowed to go on EX with a unit as long as they are over 16.  They are allowed to participate in things like rappelling, but are not allowed to act as enemy force.  Nor are they allowed to use the weapons.  They are not allowed to handle automatic weapons.

According to the new gun control laws (which cadets fall under and are supposed to obey) they are not allowed to.

Caesar said:

I would love to know what unit would let cadets act as en force Giving them weapons and Blank Ammo is Breaking   THE LAW . I have been on weekend FTXs with our support unit for the past 5 years and not once did cadets act as en force or carry a restricted weapon (BILL C-??? will find it )They were treated like young soldiers. There has to be at least one CIC officer out with them NO CIs...

It would be BILL C-68

The act was changed do to the fact that the FEDREAL GOVERNMENT WAS BREAKING THERE OWN RULES on restricted weapons. Hence Militia and law enforcement

Well said MR Piper

So have you learned your drill yet on your BMQ yet  ;D

Here is a link to answer some questions people may have with Cadets using firearms.
http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/compliance/bulletins/cadets/bulletin-1_e.asp

Some more info that would seem to refute cadets acting as enemy force, at least in Central Region (i.e. Ontario):

CRCO 1803, para 5:  "Tactical exercises with weapons (real or simulated) and "war games" are forbidden."
http://www.central.cadets.ca/crco/1803.pdf

Seems pretty clear to me.

The term "cadet organizations" in the Firearms Act refers to the Department of National Defence/Canadian Forces (DND/CF) sponsored cadet organizations (CCO/JCR), which include the Royal Canadian Sea Cadets, the Royal Canadian Army Cadets, the Royal Canadian Air Cadets and the Junior Canadian Rangers.

Under the Firearms Act, a member of the CCO/JCR under the control and supervision of the Canadian Forces is exempt from the possession provisions of the Firearms Act. This means that a young person (12 to 17 years old) who is a member of the CCO/JCR does not have to obtain a licence to handle firearms, as long as they are under the control and supervision of the Canadian Forces. A CCO/JCR Civilian Instructor, while acting on behalf of and under the authority of the Canadian Forces also is exempt from the possession provisions of the Firearms Act.

Doesnt this mean that while under CF supervision they are exempt from the firearms restriction? thats what Im reading it as..

scott1nsh said:
When I was with Cadets we were affiliated with Inch's MH Sqn out of Shearwater, NS. Even got to go for a ride in the Sea King once.....and we came back!! Sorry Inch, couldn't resist.

You sonofa...... We always come back, just sometimes we get a ride from someone else!

Burrows, that's what I read as well. Where did you find that quote?

http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/compliance/bulletins/cadets/bulletin-1_e.asp

I took some of the text and added a nice little [ Quote ]  [ / Quote ] tag around it. LOL

It even goes into saying that only members of the Canadian Cadet Organisation or the Junior Canadian Rangers are exempt...Not boyscouts or anything non cadet related..this can only make me think that we would be exempt...or that someone got paid BIG MONEY to write that...I like the first one..

Cadets are indeed exempt from the Firearms Act, as previous posts have spelled out.  Of course, this only applies to CF weapons, under proper (i.e. CIC) supervision.  This is why they're able to go on a range or carry rifles on parade.  However, running around in the field with weapons would almost certainly be seen to in contradiction to the CRCO I quoted previously (no tactical scenarios or war games).

ARMYboi69 said:
If it isn't anything that is against rules, could someone explain what's been going on with the RHFC in Kitchener, Ontario?   It would be great to go out for a day or weekend with them (they're our AFU), but according to our CO they're "Having difficulties" between our Corps and the RHFC.   Does anyone know what they are and if they're going to be fixed?   It would be awesome to go out with them for a while and see some things that they do, and we have some of the Reservists from the regiment that come to teach us, but we've never had an FTX with them.   Anyone know why?

If that's all your CO told you, that's all you need to know.

Cadets will learn a lot of good from this. On the hand some reservist will be p*ss off.  If this does happen I think the more older cadets should go with the reservist on these FTX. :warstory: :cdn:

Garbageman said:
Cadets are indeed exempt from the Firearms Act, as previous posts have spelled out.   Of course, this only applies to CF weapons, under proper (i.e. CIC) supervision.   This is why they're able to go on a range or carry rifles on parade.   However, running around in the field with weapons would almost certainly be seen to in contradiction to the CRCO I quoted previously (no tactical scenarios or war games).

Well said
Only Sr Cadets (ARMY) above of 15 or 16 and A qualified silver Star may handle a restricted weapon (C-7)Trg with a Support Unit  I may be mistaken.
But cadets can only carry # 4 or # 7 Rifles on parade not Drill C-7s or real C-7s

Are the old Lee Enfields still around for drill and cenotaph duty?

Garbageman said:
Some more info that would seem to refute cadets acting as enemy force, at least in Central Region (i.e. Ontario):

CRCO 1803, para 5:   "Tactical exercises with weapons (real or simulated) and "war games" are forbidden."
http://www.central.cadets.ca/crco/1803.pdf

Seems pretty clear to me.

And a little more INFO read

Appendix 3, Use of the C7/8 rifle

http://www.cadets.ca/support/cato-oaic/intro_e.asp?cato=14-41

I have planned a C-7 shoot on 3 Dec with my Sr cadets that qualify (The hardest thing is finding an RSO)

The New RCO is Great in Centrel Region (BEWARE IF YOU BREAK THE RULES) :'(

FYI

Back