• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadets

McInnes

Inactive
Reaction score
I have been arguing with an Air Cadet for the past couple of weeks who holds the rank of sergeant. I am in the process of joining the reserves, and he keeps telling me that Cadets are part of the CF and that people who are in the PRes or in the regs have to respect him for he holds the rank of sergeant. His father who is a Reserve Captain at CFB Comox (and is deploying next month) also says that Cadets are part of the CF and simply laughs at me. lol, this is not a personal argument, it is just that, on the Cadets Canada website Cadets Program Overview it states "Cadets are not part of the Canadian Forces, nor is there any expectation for them to join the military."
Although, what is posted on the net as "official" isnt always so. Just wondering if anyone had thoughts or knowledge regarding this. appreciated :cool:

McInnes you are right cadets are not part of the CF. We may be affiliated with some units in the CF but we are selves are just a civillian youth organization. When my corp worked with many members of the reserves we were told by our CO that we are not part of the CF and that everyone of us cadets including the RSM had to obey the wishes of all reserve members, Privates and up. It didn‘t matter what rank you were. We had one cadet (a MCpl) who try to pull rank on a QOR para guy. Boy did he get in $hit.

We had one cadet (a MCpl) who try to pull rank on a QOR para guy. Boy did he get in $hit.
And so he should have! Cadets are NOT members of the CF. I hope the CIC OPI also got chewed out by the senior QOR rank present on the exercise as well. It‘s this kind of immature attitude and behaviour by a tiny number of cadets and their CIC officers that continues to tarnish the reputation of all cadets, regardless of element.

There are a lot of good kids -- and officers, for that matter -- in cadets who would love to work with PRes or Reg personnel, but it‘s d@mned hard to find any willing to put in the time because the negative stereotypes associated with cadets -- usually because of crap like this.

It‘s a little frustrating! :mad:

I myself am in cadets, and I would never have thought that a cadet would try to tell a reg force member what to do or resepct him. That is just rediculous. Cadets is just a small part of the reserve section, but not part of the CF.

who was the air cadet that you were arguing with?? i‘m the deputy commander of 386 sqd. (wo2) and i‘d LOOOVE to know who it was.. lol.. man, though, some cadets are SOOO rude!! i had to get one of the officers outside tonight, because they wouldnt listen to me! i mean, seriously... kids today have no respect for anyone.. themselves, higher ranks, officers.. *shakes fist* grrrr and i totally agree.. cadets need to understand that even though we wear dnd issued uniforms, we ARE NOT CF.. we‘re a part of the dnd organization.. and must comply with all dnd and members of the cf‘s wishes... :mad: stupid kids...

Hey ArmyBoyzGurl

I got 5 that says it was Nikkel
BTW tear those para wings off his chest for me unless he did the course he cant wear them, he told me they were his Bros and so was entitled to wear them have them stripped as he is an insult to all paras including my father and gradfather

Only people in Cadets who are in CF are the CICs who are actually commissioned res officers.

True?

Yes, that‘s what i‘ve always been told. and that is what i conclude. :cool:

A Cadet is not a part of the CF. He/she is part of an organization that is modeled after the CF, however not nearly as much as it used to be.
As for the fact of the dispute of the rank issue between cadets and reserves, only a complete idiot would truly believe that a cadet rank could be within the higher chain of command for any reservist.
As for the CIC, some of those pers believe that they are reservists when in fact they are not. One pers that I used to work with believed that he could transfer directly over to a reserve unit with no additional training.....yeah right.
The CIC is it‘s own entity within the CF outside of the res and the reg world. So, yes, a CIC is a commissioned officer in the CF, but not a member of the res.
And if this other dude is wearing "wings" and believes that he is entitled because they were his "Bros" is sorely mistaken. You don‘t wear someone else‘s, you earn your own. If I saw this kid, I would rip them of myself and feed them to him. Why doesn‘t he just wear someone else‘s medal‘s while he‘s at it?!

It used to be a practice, long ago, that you would wear medals of relatives on your right hand side - this was never an official practice from what I can tell, and has fallen (thankfully) from disfavour. It was not done (I don‘t believe) by service personnel in uniform, and was restricted IIRC to direct descendents/antecedents (ie either mothers/fathers or sons/daughters). And only done when the medal earner had deceased.

I saw it done about 7 years ago when a Japanese-Canadian display was opened at our regimental museum, honouring those men who served the regiment in the First World War. A grandson of a 10th Battalion vet wore granddad‘s medals on his right side for the service.

Recently, Russell Crowe wore his dad‘s MBE to the Oscars, though he wore it on the left IIRC, probably not knowing any better.

Anyway, that is thrown in for interest‘s sake.

CIC officers, as mentioned, are part of the CF, not the reserve, and they definitely rate proper compliments (ie hand salute or other form of greeting as appropriate) as holders of a Queen‘s commission, from all members of the CF, reserve and even Regular forces.

I was in AirCadets for 7 yrs, WO1 for 2 of them. I have gone on course every year I was in Cadets. I just retired in 00‘. Anyways, One time when I was in Borden my flight was jogging on a bike path one way and a group of Reg or Reserve ( I don‘t know which ) was running at us from the other. We were with our officer at that time. Neither of us moved and our groups kinda crashed into each other. The guy in charge of the Reg‘s then just friggen reemed out my officer for a minute. Then we went on our way.

I think though that they should have been courteous to us ‘kids‘ (14 to 17 yrs old).And moved to the side for us.I know I would have if the roles were reversed. They were all at least 19 and up. And their NCO was probably about 25. I think he was being an *******, but thats just my opinion. It doesn‘t matter whether your reg res or cadet, everyone should treat everyone else with respect, and those that are ‘higher‘ should go out out their way to help out others. My point is that they should moved over. That‘s just my thoughts.

but if they should move, you should as well. and also armed forces should have more respect than cadets. i dont mean that in a bad way, its just that i would treat police officers with respect, such as i would armed forces. just a thought.

what do you mean what you are basing it on? As in like, everyone should have mutual respect for everyone else? or just like having respect for "higher order" organisations such as the rcmp, cf?

Actually, CIC is a sub-component of the Reserve Force. The Reserve Force consists of the Primary Reserve (Navy, Army, Air, Comms and soon to be Medical), Supplementary Reserve, CIC and Canadian Rangers. Transfers can be done between sub-components but that does not mean that additional training is not required.

The officers of the Cadet Instructor Cadre are responsible for the safety, supervision, administration and training of cadets, aged 12-18 years. The aim of the cadet program is to “develop in youth the attributes of leadership, good citizenship and physical fitness, while stimulating an interest in the sea, army and air elements of the Canadian Forces".

Cadets are not part of the CF but the Cadet Program is sponsored by the Department of National Defence.

If I were the IC of that cadet group, I would have moved my troops. Firstly, we are on a Canadian Forces Base - we‘re on their training ground as respectable guests. Second, they should have no reason to move out of the way - cadets are not boy scouts or any helpless group of kids.

However, the fact that the the Reg NCO reamed out your officer is totally innapropriate. C‘mon folks - that is not necessary at all. If you get your kicks out of yelling at a group of cadets then perhaps the CF isnt the organization for you.

On something of a side note; I sniped a Cadet in the *** playing paintball on Sunday. For some reason he was crawling around in the bush, even though my team was half a field away. I got some other guy on my team following me, so I tell him, pointing at a bush about 20 feet to the left of the cadet, "Move up to that bush there, I‘m gonna sneak up on him from behind. When I tell you to, start firing at him and don‘t stop until I‘m dead or he is." So I creep up so I‘m about 10 feet away from him. He doesn‘t see me, cause I‘m wearing my ghilie suit, so I take aim. Through the scope of my gun I see his desert boots, his camelback, but most importantly, I see him lift his mask (a big no-no). So I wait until he lowers his mask, and I take aim right at his butt. I pull the trigger, a white blotch appears on his *** , and all I hear is him yelling "OWWW!"

Some people have a power fixation.Yelling is not the most efficant way to get your point across.

A officer is a officer regardless. Appointed by the Queen and as such deserving of respect.

I use to live in Vernon & saw alot of cadets @
camp there.When i was on leave i would use the
obstical (?)course to stay in shape & the kids would compete with me.The nco,s & officers though
it was great to have a reg force guy show interest
in the kids & i found them to be very serious
about there training. The cadet corp is the base that the reg/reserves need to fore fill it,s
committments.These kids are the future & should never be slagged. :cdn: :sniper:

This old guy at the paintball field told me he joined the reg force when he was my age. He said he went in straight from Cadets after 5 years and failed after 2 weeks of basic. He said his cocky "know it all attitude" pissed off his instructors, so they made sure they gave him **** .
It‘s sorta the case today. On my basic, the guys that thought the course was a joke compared to thier cadet experience were picked on alot, not only by the instructors but by us as individuals. I‘m glad I was never a cadet > :)
One guy thought he was hot stuff, because he had been a cadet for 12 years; during on inspection he had the audacity to say "You didn‘t inspect my locker Master Corporal." when they had passed him over. Normally his locker was perfect anyways, but still, his section commander walked up to his locker, threw everything on the ground, and said "It‘s ****." Suffice to say most of us found it quite hilarious.
It was differant in that, the guys that did the best in the course were the guys who were in Cadets but didn‘t tell anyone. I found out the day before my grad parade that my bunk mate was a Cadet RSM; I think he placed 4th of 5th in our platoon.

I was, like many of the members here a cadet when I was a kid. It was an enjoyable and excellent learning experience for me. I learned how to suck it up and follow difficult tasks to the end. These skills have helped out a great deal since. Now here I am a member of the Pres and I thought all the cadet stuff would be useless. I was wrong, all the cadet map work, weapons handling, dress and deportment stuff all came back to really help me out.
Where I find myself getting annoyed is on some forums the cadets out number the res personnel and yammer on and on about this and that what they are gonna do and all the kit they have all that. I am a soldier, I work hard at this as my second job and am proud to follow my grandfathers path through the forces. If I am fortunate to be able to serve in this manner. The simple thought that a 17 year old wog Ocdt expecting that I‘ll salute him makes me just a bit nauseous.
This isn‘t the boy scouts this isn‘t summer camp. It‘s fun and its hard and I enjoy it very much.
I would suggest to all of the cadets, please take what you‘ve learned and move up to the next level, the Reserves need you. In the mean time learn your place, our training NCO‘s will ****ed soon teach you.

Back