• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian decoration made in China ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although it hardly concerns me one way or another(never debate economics with someone of the military persuasion, heh), there does still remain a factual question: Is the manufacture of the CD in fact sourced offshore? I would think it to be rathher dicey politically, over a negligible saving in cost.

Edit: Oops, Bruce beat me to it, but what the hey.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
That was an interesting little side-show and all, but now I'm curious, is it made in China?

Wasn't that my original intent ? I would realy like to know, couldn't find anything on Google

as well on a side note..

Does anyone here remember how cheap the Kosovo medals that were handed to roto 0 were. I remember the day they came in and it was sad. A peice of ribbon, the medalion and that was it.

I have no doubt the CD is made in China if they are the lowest bidder for the contract.  I don't really care who makes it as long as it is of high quality.  I dislike wearing medals that looked like they were made from a machine press....

i had heard stories of people waiting 2 years for theirs.

It use to be this bad and usually the result of poor unit administration.  I think it has become much better over the last five years with on-line ordering on CDs, etc.  It remains a pull system so it doesn't hurt to remind your chain of command a couple of months before you reach the magic 12, 22, 32 marks...

People scoff at the CD but I went through alot to get mine and it represents my memories of years in the military.  There weren't many of my BMT course still around when I received mine in 97!

Britney Spears said:
Although it hardly concerns me one way or another(never debate economics with someone of the military persuasion, heh), there does still remain a factual question: Is the manufacture of the CD in fact sourced offshore? I would think it to be rathher dicey politically, over a negligible saving in cost.

Edit: Oops, Bruce beat me to it, but what the hey.

Dicey politically?  In what way?  The Liberals weathered the storm of Canadian flags being made in China, and the country survived the swastika-bedecked Chinese Christmas crackers from a year or two ago.

How many Canadians subsidize the communist regime in Cuba every year by vacationing there?  I don't agree with it, but the girls at work have made me very aware I'm in the solid minority by suggesting they not do it.

I can't see that many people really caring if they were made in China.

What political repurcussions do you feel might occur if they were made there, and the media decided to report on it?

Dicey politically?  In what way?  The Liberals weathered the storm of Canadian flags being made in China, and the country survived the swastika-bedecked Chinese Christmas crackers from a year or two ago.

Well don't look at ME, You don't need to explain globalization to me, I'm all for making everything in China. Oviously not everyone shares my enlightened viewpoint, and politicians to take that into account.

Besides, Chinese goods have a reputation of being cheaply made, deservedly or not. It would simply be good marketing to not make them there, because I don't think the small savings in cost would really be worth it. How many of them  do we need every year anyway?

This is one rare time where i will agree with you Dorosh.

I don't think there would be much of a public reaction.  For me it was more of a personal issue.  In the time i served to receive my CD i have been trough alot and i have lots a few freinds.  I have had the unfortunate pleasure of comming close to losing life and limbs on a few occasions and my family suffred greatly for my miliatry service to the point where i ended up divorced.  I just beleive that a decoration for one's service to canada should be made here not by some second rate contractor ia far far away land.

How do you think the americans would react if the MOH was made in china ?  Or the britts if the VC was made in China ?

Just a thought

Britney Spears said:
Well don't look at ME, You don't need to explain globalization to me, I'm all for making everything in China. Oviously not everyone shares my enlightened viewpoint, and politicians to take that into account.

Besides, Chinese goods have a reputation of being cheaply made, deservedly or not. It would simply be good marketing to not make them there, because I don't think the small savings in cost would really be worth it. How many of them  do we need every year anyway?

I wasn't explaining globalization, I was just saying, the government has already weathered this kind of storm before (ie "Canadian" stuff being made offshore.)  Lately, I think (or hope) the governing party has bigger things to worry about.

If you build the LSVW in BC, despite the costs and poor quality of the product, just to keep the project "all-Canadian", you're damned.  Then you're damned if you get medal boxes made off shore.  The medal box that sits in your dresser.  Granted, its better than getting it in the mail like they did the CPSM for some people, but really, if they can save a buck on something no one will ever see....go for it.

Then while I was in the washroom the CD was gone when I got back........ ;)

Wow, this thread is one big Seinfeld episode....

I got my 'shyte nickel' back in 1988, and I still have the box, but it does not say where it was made. I am sure these medals are made in Canada, but who knows about todays minatures. The full size ribbon I am told is made in the UK???

Personally, I don't really have anything agaisnt Communist Chinese people, but I really hate buying things made in China (I think of underpaid people, working 16 hr days and 6 or 7 days a week in a sweatshop environment), and I view the whole Chinese economy as being corrupt beyond all belief.

If I have the chance, I'd rather pay a few extra bucks to support my own country's trade (or that of a western nation), and to be honest to support my own country's jobs, not theirs.

I certainlly hope this   is another urban legend about PRC made CDs.

Cheers,

Wes

The offical answer is....

They are made in Canada

I asked a good source who makes reproductions...  and
he/she... makes them in China and they make them perfectly.

So.. CD's are apparently made in Canada.
The box ?? China..  Dunno..

Why am I even in this thread... it scares me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back