• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Manoeuvre Training Centre (CMTC), Wainwright

Gunner

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Game on for Wainwright training facility for troops

By BROOKES MERRITT, EDMONTON SUN

Military officials in Alberta are quietly readying to open one of the world's most sophisticated armed forces training centres.

Brig.-Gen. Stu Beare will oversee development of the Canadian Manoeuvre Training Centre in Wainwright - a state-of-the-art war games facility.

"By next year, more than 4,000 members of the Canadian army will be trained in combat tactics ranging from direct-fire weapons to chemical contamination, all in a live environment," Beare said.

The $500-million facility will train two groups of 1,000 soldiers each, twice per year. Special reserve forces will use it in the summer.

Beare said the facility is part of a larger strategy to transform the Canadian Armed Forces, preparing troops for foreign theatres in which terrorism and urban warfare are more prevalent.

"Two years ago we had 6,000 troops overseas; our military couldn't sustain that," Beare said. "By next year we'll be at 4,000. They'll be better-trained and we'll be acting in better accordance with our size."

Month-long training at the CMTC will see troops using a state-of -the-art laser tag system to simulate combat operations in populated areas, complete with non-English-speaking civilians, insurgent and coalition forces.

"This will be the jewel in the Canadian Forces crown," Beare said. "A posting in Wainwright will take on a whole new meaning."

Gunner said:
"This will be the jewel in the Canadian Forces crown," Beare said. "A posting in Wainwright will take on a whole new meaning."

Does this mean that JD's will be expanding their bar and dance floor?

It seems like the army really started the publicity blitz for the CMTC during the 1 CMBG/LFWA CoC yesterday.  It was all over the local news.

McG, you are correct.  The CF is pumping alot of money into the local economy of Wx and they want to raise its profile among local, provincial and federal politicians.  Were you at the CoC yesterday?

I spent $160 on a window for my 1983 Civic in The Town of Wainwright today.  It's not DND money YET, until I can get the MPs convince  Roads and Grounds that one of their riding mowers launched a rock into my car in the parking lot of bldg 18. (Former German POW barracks, now Cdn Warrants and Sergeants).

I also bought $28.34 of gas.  Cheaper there than in Edmonton.

Tom

Try and convince the provincial government (whoever does the auto there) that your vehicles is for work purposes (Military/DND) and ask for tax rightoff on your gas  :P

My dad goes through 100$'s a week on gas because we do floor installing and we need to go all over BC.  So it's nice that he gets the rightoff

Crown made of tin.

Well at least we'll have all the assests to train with once a year as they raped the BN to stand this thing up.  Wonder how long before international units push us out entirely.

Can you imagine describing Wainwright in this manner to a new recruit or young officer. "This will be the jewel in the Canadian Forces crown," Beare said. "A posting in Wainwright will take on a whole new meaning."    

From armpit to jewel - there must be a storyline there somewhere.

When we drove through Douglas on the way to Shilo in 1994. my wife said, "where the heck are you taking us.   I said, "Wait dear, were not there yet."

I will spend Sep & Oct in sunny Wx for BTE, I will see how much tarnish is on or how many cracks there are in this jewel in the CF crown."

Stu and I were young Gnr offrs together, he has always had a knack for colourful media-friendly quotes.   Keep in mind he will oversee the construction of the crown Jewel from Kingston not Denwood.

"From armpit to jewel - there must be a storyline there somewhere."

You don't actually expect the Camp to look much different, do you?  I suppose I could put a flower in my window.  Maybe we could get a shrubbery for Bldg 152, somethig not too big, not too small....

Tom

I think wainwright, both the base and town, have come a long way since I first started training there in the mid 80s.  Would it be my posting of choice?  No, but I can't say I would go there kicking and screaming.

I'll be there in Oct as well.  I wonder if we will be kitted up with all the gear?

Gunner said:
Were you at the CoC yesterday?
I was in amongst the spectators to the north side.

Gunner said:
The CF is pumping alot of money into the local economy of Wx and they want to raise its profile among local, provincial and federal politicians.
I just got the same information this morning.  It seems this is an attempt to respond to the typically "supportive" town of Wainwright (the one that will not even allow a Timmies).

It seems this is an attempt to respond to the typically "supportive" town of Wainwright (the one that will not even allow a Timmies).

There is both an internal to the CF campaign as well as external to the CF campaign going on.  The addition of 100s of PYs has placed a burden upon the camp and the town and it is causing problems, not the least of which is higher real estate prices.  A lot of CF members do NOT want to go to Wx and it is causing problems posting the right people to CMTC.

CMTC is termed "Cape Canaveral" as it will "launch" BGs upon international operations.

I have no doubt that Wx has come a long way since the 80s. I still can't imagine it as a jewel.  Does that mean that Gagetown, Sufffield and Shilo are also jewels in the CF crown.  If Wx is Cape Carnaveral, I guess Suffield is the dark side of the moon. 

In Wainwright, EXCON is no longer the big hole on the hill it was a year ago, it is now a real building behind the Officers Mess.  The top end of CMTC will move into it , and leave the Obsever/Controllers in the Korean War vintage Building 152. OPFOR has already moved into the tan coloured Brit lines.  A new hole has been dug NW of the WSM (former WW2 6 Cdn Inf Div , later German POW barracks).  This is the start of two 92 (+ -) person barracks for Officers and Warrants and Sergeants.

Don't expect newly paved roads with curbs, a swimming pool, or any of the amenities of a large CFB.  As well, a rather parochial commercial mentality among the local denizens of the town means a one hour drive to the nearest Timmies.  DND money apparently went into the town pool, but the alleged 'free use by off duty mil pers and families' appears to have been a rumour, or conveniently forgotten.  Probably just another urban myth.

oh go from a place with no spousal employment to a new place without spousal employment.  I'd rather try to get in on the TUA transfer.  Edmonton is looking real nice now.

Back