• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

Yes please, the logistics dept will be more than happy with this set up :)

Imagine, submarine logistics capability! I've always wanted my dolphins lol
I have always thought an underwater logistics capacity would be good way to go. A large tanking sub would pop up and fuel the fleet. (I know WWII milk cow) Dive and go back to refill. After watching the Ukraine and other wars I think secret or stealth or hidden logistics maybe a thing in the future. If you can't see the tail you have trouble destroying it.

Last edited:
I think the Type 45 doesn't have a proper integrated ASW capability. At least in comparison to the Type 26. Tradeoffs for the AAW suite. The helicopter and hull-mounted sonar are pretty much all they have.

I think the Type 45 doesn't have a proper integrated ASW capability. At least in comparison to the Type 26. Tradeoffs for the AAW suite. The helicopter and hull-mounted sonar are pretty much all they have.
The T-45's Ultra MFS-7000 are not even in working order or fitted it is rumoured.

The article did say something fitting a bow sonar. The more I read and learn about ships its is not a case of ok just throw a VLS in there and sonar here oh and put a great big radar up top. It all sounds like one change and you end up doing a thousand other changes. Length and speed are calculation. Weight higher up changes the center of gravity. on and on.

I thought the Lego idea of ships would be good. ASW destroyer today AAW frigate tomorrow change out the mission mod. But that has not seemed to work in real life. I thought the Stanflex thing would be the future. build just a hull with powerplant, hotel services, shipkeeping areas and a flex CIC. Everything would be plug and play. You would in time have everything on different replacement and upgrade schedules. Guns don't need updating as fast as torpedo's and radars etc. Going to Haiti pull out the missiles insert the HADR box.

The T-45's Ultra MFS-7000 are not even in working order or fitted it is rumoured.

One of my good Naval Architect friends got back from working at US yards recently. There was Aussie, Brit and US pers in the office. All the navies have the exact same problems. Not enough people, ships worked too hard on operations falling apart without proper maintenance, and equipment being borrowed and stolen from ships out of rotation to fit on ships that are going to sea. No one knows how bad all the problems are because they are so huge that they can't track everything.

Exact same story in every fleet, Canada included.

One of my good Naval Architect friends got back from working at US yards recently. There was Aussie, Brit and US pers in the office. All the navies have the exact same problems. Not enough people, ships worked too hard on operations falling apart without proper maintenance, and equipment being borrowed and stolen from ships out of rotation to fit on ships that are going to sea. No one knows how bad all the problems are because they are so huge that they can't track everything.

Exact same story in every fleet, Canada included.
You read about this in every online thread. The same type of stuff in all the allies navies even in the USN but a different scale and different level. USNI, Navy Lookout etc. In the west we are putting out our warts and all. Plus the complains and gripes about this stuff mainly not classified. You don't hear anything about the PLAN and little about say Russia. But the Russians have just shown the world that they are in worse shape then we thought. The big question is the PLAN. Their new ships do look impressive and they are building them fast too. But are like Chinese made cell phones or items from the Dollar Store? The largest question of the age.

The big question is the PLAN. Their new ships do look impressive and they are building them fast too. But are like Chinese made cell phones or items from the Dollar Store?

Fair enough. But those are 13 year old ships and the planes are 1950s tech. I think the PLAN is also learning. I always read people saying they have not had a war in 40 years, the don't have the knowledge etc. I still think they are closer to IPhone quality than dollar store. But I guess we only know after the ball goes up. On second thought I wish it remain a mystery.

But those are 13 year old ships and the planes are 1950s tech.
The PAC/CAC JF-17 Thunder is a fourth-generation fighter—design concepts from the 1970s. Second-generation fighters are associated with 1950s’ technology.

0pHOv5z.png

A focus on the Ops Room:

The PAC/CAC JF-17 Thunder is a fourth-generation fighter—design concepts from the 1970s. Second-generation fighters are associated with 1950s’ technology.
4th is a serious overstatement. 3rd is generously accurate.
* I don't care what Wiki says - its a rip off mishmash of several 70's and 80's era fighters, but not as capable as the parent designs.

Last edited:
4th is a serious overstatement. 3rd is generously accurate.
Why? It appears to meet a lot of the requirements for fourth-generation and 4.5 generation fighters such as:

• In service from around 1990 to now (JF-17 introduction in 2007)
• Broad multi-role capability
• Fly-by-wire
• Digital instead of analogue computers
• Digital instead of analogue avionics
• Thrust-to-weight ratio greater than unity
• Infrared search-and-track
• Active electronically scanned array
• Diverterless supersonic inlet

Interesting. At the bottom of this article (Workshop focuses on Canadian Surface Combatants’ Ops Room for future sailors) is an indication that construction of the first CSC will commence in 2023. This would be good news, if true. That seems to be a year earlier than has been reported lately (Liberals mull giving Irving an extra $300 million to build warships).
Cool. Though it is one of the articles that want the Conservatives to give all of the work to Davie.

Interesting. At the bottom of this article (Workshop focuses on Canadian Surface Combatants’ Ops Room for future sailors) is an indication that construction of the first CSC will commence in 2023. This would be good news, if true. That seems to be a year earlier than has been reported lately (Liberals mull giving Irving an extra $300 million to build warships).
That is likely a typo or someone on the PA side misunderstanding something; it's still in the preliminary design phase with equipment/materials being selected.

Probably even premature to do something like doing test welds on the specific steel to figure out the warping/deformation.

If they were a year out from construction wouldn't be tabletopping ops room setups, this is all early design type work.

That is likely a typo or someone on the PA side misunderstanding something; it's still in the preliminary design phase with equipment/materials being selected.

Probably even premature to do something like doing test welds on the specific steel to figure out the warping/deformation.

If they were a year out from construction wouldn't be tabletopping ops room setups, this is all early design type work.
Sigh. All PA's only report on what we are told. If you feed us crap, we present crap. GIGO.

I suspect that someone mistook "ordering some long lead items" with "starting construction".

Back