• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANFORGEN 040/19 - Patches and T-shirts

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
I mean, I get the idea...but how many people will shell out $ for embroidered sqn blue and "Sqn colour" t-shirts?  Esp if the sqn colour ones are only to be worn on Fridays? 

CANFORGEN 040/19 C AIR FORCE 09/19 151307Z MAR 19
CHANGE TO CADO 1/006 - OPERATIONAL DRESS
UNCLASSIFIED

REF: CANADIAN AIR DIVISION ORDERS, VOLUME 1

AN AMENDED CANADIAN AIR DIVISION ORDER ON OPERATIONAL DRESS WAS RELEASED 17 JANUARY 2019

A SIGNIFICANT CHANGE TO THE ORDER IS THE ABILITY TO AFFIX BADGES AND PATCHES TO OPERATIONAL DRESS UNIFORMS. RCAF AVIATORS TO GENERALS WILL NOW BE AUTHORIZED THE WEARING OF BADGES AND PATCHES TO IDENTIFY THEIR SQUADRON OR UNIT, AN EXERCISE OR OPERATION, OR A COURSE, TRADE OR QUALIFICATION

IN ADDITION, WINGS, SQUADRONS AND TACTICAL UNITS ARE AUTHORIZED TO WEAR BLUE T SHIRTS WITH AN EMBROIDERED LOGO AT THE NECK - OR ON FRIDAYS, THEIR OFFICIAL SQUADRON COLOURED T SHIRT

THE RCAF CWO AND I RECOGNIZE THAT THE RCAF CAN ONLY SUCCESSFULLY DELIVER AIR AND SPACE POWER IF WE HAVE WELL-LED, ROBUST, HEALTHY AND INCLUSIVE SQUADRONS AND UNITS. AS SUCH, THIS DIRECTION WILL SERVE TO ENHANCE ESPIRIT DE CORPS AND IDENTITY. AS AVIATORS, TAKE THE OPPORTUNITY TO EMBRACE AND CONTRIBUTE TO THIS NEXT CHAPTER OF OUR TRADITIONS. SIC ITUR AD ASTRA - SUCH IS THE PATHWAY TO THE STARS

THE INSTRUCTIONS AND FOLLOWING UPDATES MAY BE FOUND IN THE CADO AT THE FOLLOWING LINK HTTP://RCAF.MIL.CA/ASSETS/RCAF_INTRANET/DOCS/EN/1-CAD/CADO/VOLUME-1.PDF

LGEN MEINZINGER, COMD RCAF, AND CWO GAUDREAULT, CWO RCA

Dimsum said:
I mean, I get the idea...but how many people will shell out $ for embroidered sqn blue and "Sqn colour" t-shirts?  Esp if the sqn colour ones are only to be worn on Fridays?

Whew... I thought there was going to be some messing around with flight suits, leather jackets and 'Top Gun' sunglasses....

daftandbarmy said:
Whew... I thought there was going to be some messing around with flight suits, leather jackets and 'Top Gun' sunglasses....

If "messing around" meant "get some more", I'd welcome the change. 

The CADO requires everyone to go get a Velcro patch on the fleece jacket so you can put the flag on it too.  Lots of...useful changes  ;D...in the CADO. 

I think most people would be happy if they could get a flight suit to put any patches on that wasn't thread-bare.  That's not a fashion issue, either, that's part of my dual-layer.  I'll worry about embroidered t shirts when the ALSE issues are solved...

I've now been around long enough that my full colour Sqn patches and embrodiered tee-shirts are back in "style".  I wonder if I have enough time left before I retire to see it all cycle back to low vis again?

Am I the only one picturing this from that one bit of the CANFORGEN?

Attachments

• the-rcaf-can.jpg
    the-rcaf-can.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 427
See, I was thinking more along the lines of tie dye...

s-l1000.jpg

The one thing I like about the way they did it the patches aspect was to authorize them but also delineate what was public vs personal/non-publically funded. It saves time and effort staffing up requests for this badge or that badge but regardless if approved, it is clear if it is optional then it procured without public funds.  As much as I hate buttons and bows I think it may be worthwhile for all L1s to come up with their variant of this CANFORGEN, especially CJOC as you can spend an entire tour trying to get a badge bought at NPF/personal expense approved. 

Eye In The Sky said:
The CADO requires everyone to go get a Velcro patch on the fleece jacket so you can put the flag on it too.  Lots of...useful changes  ;D...in the CADO. 

I think most people would be happy if they could get a flight suit to put any patches on that wasn't thread-bare.  That's not a fashion issue, either, that's part of my dual-layer.  I'll worry about embroidered t shirts when the ALSE issues are solved...

Because velcro never hurt anyone involved in aero-space operations, right?

Oh, wait... Apollo 1

"Another major finding was that the prevalence of flammable materials inside the Apollo 1 cabin further increased the risk of fire.

After the accident, NASA reduced the amount of flammable Velcro in the crew cabin, and tested many of the capsule's materials for flammability."

https://www.space.com/14379-apollo1-fire-space-capsule-safety-improvements.html

milnews.ca said:
Am I the only one picturing this from that one bit of the CANFORGEN?

that message is being forced down the throats of the masses pan-CAF already...

daftandbarmy said:
Because velcro never hurt anyone involved in aero-space operations, right?

Oh, wait... Apollo 1

"Another major finding was that the prevalence of flammable materials inside the Apollo 1 cabin further increased the risk of fire.

After the accident, NASA reduced the amount of flammable Velcro in the crew cabin, and tested many of the capsule's materials for flammability."

https://www.space.com/14379-apollo1-fire-space-capsule-safety-improvements.html

The AF fleece isn't approved for flying duties...but I do have 6 Velcro patches on my flight shirt and 5 on my jacket  :Tin-Foil-Hat:

I'm usually more worried about the 50k+ pounds of POL and thousands of pounds of search/kill stores that are part of the party I'm sitting over/around though  :D

dapaterson said:
See, I was thinking more along the lines of tie dye...

s-l1000.jpg

The pattern is overly aggressive in design and the pink appears somewhat faded;  I'm curious why the pink is being subjected to weaker colouring than the blues and white and feel concerned for how pink might feel about this. 

Eye In The Sky said:
The pattern is overly aggressive in design and the pink appears somewhat faded;  I'm curious why the pink is being subjected to weaker colouring than the blues and white and feel concerned for how pink might feel about this.

Mr.Pink would approve.... or Joe will bust his chops again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W5KhfJHF_4

What an interesting transformation of our forces. This loosening of the the dress standards to raise mortal is a bit of a smoke screen. Members of the forces take pride in what they do and how well they do it. T-shirts and patches don't creatate this training does. 

What an interesting transformation of our forces. This loosening of the the dress standards to raise mortal is a bit of a smoke screen. Members of the forces take pride in what they do and how well they do it. T-shirts and patches don't creatate this training does

And yet we can't roll our CADPAT sleeves up in the summer when we get too warm

NavalMoose said:
And yet we can't roll our CADPAT sleeves up in the summer when we get too warm

Can't protect your arms from IEDs with your sleeves rolled up  :tsktsk:

Years ago I was an instructor at the battle school.  The CSM for Combat Skills Coy explained that we always had our sleeves down because in the combat arms we were always ready.  I thought this was an Army Combat arms thing that became the norm over the years.  It was a symbolic thing more than anything else but reinforced a certain way of thinking.  My memory of the whole thing is hazy because I could care less about sleeves down or up one way or another. 

AlDazz said:
What an interesting transformation of our forces. This loosening of the the dress standards to raise mortal is a bit of a smoke screen. Members of the forces take pride in what they do and how well they do it. T-shirts and patches don't creatate this training does.

You are not wrong but I know several females that were elated with pony tails and making pantyhose optional.

Remius said:
You are not wrong but I know several females that were elated with pony tails and making pantyhose optional.

I'm not female, but there are several at the unit and I can understand why PONYTAILFORGEN was such a big deal.  For aircrew, women had to basically put their hair in a ponytail anyway to fit under the helmet - we don't always wear one but a ditching situation is hardly the time to remember to undo the bun.  After the flight, they have to run to the washroom or wherever to put their hair back in a bun. 

The ponytail thing just means they don't have to do that anymore. 

Back