• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAP: What NOT to bring

eliminator

Reaction score
I'm going on CAP in a few weeks and I'm starting to sort of all my kit and make sure I have everything thats on the kit list.

Are there any things that are totally useless? I'm taking all my kit with me on the plane so I'd like to leave as much non essential kit as possible at home.

-Webbing?- dont we just get issued tac vests once we get there?
-Is complete sleeping bag over kill? : inner, outer, hood, and liner.
-Parade boots and oxfords?
-Air matress?
-Combat overshoes?
-DEU stuff: 2 long sleeve 2 short sleeve, 2 pairs of pants?

I know kit lists exist for a reason, but I dont think I need a mountain of kit

elim

I wouldn't think the full sleeping bag is over kill, considering your course will end sometime in November.  It does get cold at night, even now.  Tac vests (if you haven't been issued one yet) will be issued on your arrival.  Not sure why you wouldn't want to being your air mattress, it is pretty light and makes the nights that much better...

Yes there are joining instructions, you are best to bring everything that is on the list.  Just keep the stuff you don't use in lockup. 

Like I said, personally I would bring everything just to be safe. 

Okay,  CAP is unlike other courses.... If you have been issued something that is on the Kit list BRING IT.  On my CAP I brought stuff on the kit list,  they did an inspection to see that I had everything on the list.  For a pair of missing gloves (I stuffed them in my shoes to make room and forgot about them) I got grilled over fairly hard.  CAP is like how people think boot camp will be.

On my CAP,  the lockers were all different sizes/shapes.  Not everyone got the same amount of locker space so there were locker inspections.  I saw bring whatever you think might be usefull,  but that doesn't mean you'll bring everything with you on every exercise.  I saw some people on course who literally carried 4 times more than they had to. I am saying that even if you bring it,  you can leave it in your locker.  IE,  if we're going out for one night,  you don't need to carry allot of stuff.

As far as not needing stuff when in the field,  they didn't check us to see if you brought your extra sleeping bag into the field or left it in your locker.  They did spot check for Mags, BEW, BFA etc every 20 minutes or so,  but that is to your benefit.

But I will say bring a few camelback bladders.  You can put it into the top of your ruck sac - even in the fall you'll need the water.  Also,  permanent markers are a really good idea - but only with alcohol swipes.  You can write on laminated items and erase it with the swipes.  (there is a product called Zwipes at staples that have the two intergrated - good stuff)  There are lots of army-style item stores around the base,  if you find you do need stuff,  you can get it with little trouble.

Now if you're going to Gagetown,  don't take the taxi waiting for you.  If you call a taxi you'll save yourself 10 dollars or more (keep your receipt, insist on a legible one)

Since I got back I've done almost nothing but tell people about CAP,  what to expect, and how to avoid some of the perils. 

eliminator said:
I'm going on CAP in a few weeks and I'm starting to sort of all my kit and make sure I have everything thats on the kit list.

Are there any things that are totally useless? I'm taking all my kit with me on the plane so I'd like to leave as much non essential kit as possible at home.

-Webbing?- dont we just get issued tac vests once we get there?
-Is complete sleeping bag over kill? : inner, outer, hood, and liner.
-Parade boots and oxfords?
-Air matress?
-Combat overshoes?
-DEU stuff: 2 long sleeve 2 short sleeve, 2 pairs of pants?

I know kit lists exist for a reason, but I dont think I need a mountain of kit

elim

Whoa!  Someone planning for FAILURE.

You have been given a Kit List for a purpose.  If you have never been to Gagetown, then you wouldn't know about the Four Seasons in one day.  Nor would you know about the Stand By Your Bed Inspections where you have to have ALL your kit immaculately laid out.  If you don't have all your sleeping bag and your air mattress, how do you expect to survive in the Field Portion of the Crse?  If you don't have your DEU complete, how do you expect to pose for your Crse Photo, stand on Grad Parade, and any other function that the School may pass your way, such as Rememberance Day Parade? 

You are gearing yourself up for Failure, if you keep this attitude about you.

About the DEUs, I was hinting at the possibility of taking just one long sleeve shirt, one short sleeve, and one pair of pants. I'm not a total retard.  :p

I'm just trying to possibly save some space in my bags since I'm taking EVERYTHING with me to the airport. Course starts in 2 weeks and I just recently changed to army, so CMTT isn't an option.

I guess the only real "beef" I have with is the webbing. Is it just going to sit in my locker for 3 months? That alone could save abit of space.

BTW, has anyone ever transported their rucksack commercial air? Should I fill it with kit and just get Air Canada to put it in one of those clear plastic bags they put stuff in?

I'm probably not going to leave anything home anyways, but I thought I'd ask for some opinions. I have friends who did CAP a few years ago and they didnt even get a kit list, they just brought what they thought they'd need and they faired alright....

Don't worry about your rucksack travelling on Commercial Air.  It is very common these days, now that there is no longer Service Flights (I know.....for over fifteen years or so.)  I have travelled several times this year with full ruck and duffle bags.  Never had any problems.

But Air Canada is know for "loosing" said rucksac alot. Got to remember if you are coming to Gagetown that the airport here is small and the only flights that service the airport are the Dash 8-300 and the Beechcraft 1900 D.

Nfld Sapper said:
But Air Canada is know for "loosing" said rucksac alot. Got to remember if you are coming to Gagetown that the airport here is small and the only flights that service the airport are the Dash 8-300 and the Beechcraft 1900 D.

It's when you transfer in Toronto ... it goes missing. It's like the black hole.

TN2IC said:
It's when you transfer in Toronto ... it goes missing. It's like the black hole.

Actually had that happens when I go through Halifax but if I go through Montreal I have no problems.

Useful info, thanks! I am scheduled for CAP in a few weeks as well and I was planning to take everything on the list, but this just confirms it.

I don't want to hijack the thread, so if I am out of line let me know, but here is my question. My joining orders stated the course I am on is from Sept. 9 to Nov. 16. Now I am informed (yesterday) that it is from Sept. 9 until Dec. 7th. I a reservist and I think my boss has been pretty awesome to let me go for 10 weeks, but 14 weeks on short notice is going to be a killer.

My home unit is trying to find out what the situation is. The calender does not show this change and no answers from above are too forthcoming as of yet. The problem is I have to fish or cut bait and my home unit is having trouble getting any answers. By chance does anyone here know what is going on? Is this a clusterfluck or a new program by design? Is the new condensed CAP going from 10 weeks to 14?

What's CAP?

I take it you don't mean Combat Air Patrol?

well I know they are putting more stuff into Mod 3 - beefing up Urban Ops.  If you can only do 10 Weeks,  only go for 10 weeks.  CAP is done in Modules,  Mod 5 being last (and the easiest)  In the GTA 32 Brigade Battel school used to offer it decentralised.  There were lots of people who only were taking one or two Mods this summer.  Look at the dates on your joining instructions (look at those pages that have all the names,  look at the dates for each mod and figure out what you can be there for)  

CAP is common army phase - it is similar to SQ ...

Thanks for the help, I know it is set up on modules but it is STRONGLY recommended that one go straight through. As a reservist coming back next year for a missing module or two is difficult because 1. Memory fade makes jumping in with both feet a year later pretty challenging.  2. It means one more year of a thumb in the arse waiting to be employable.

I appreciate your input though, thanks.

Cardstonkid said:
Useful info, thanks! I am scheduled for CAP in a few weeks as well and I was planning to take everything on the list, but this just confirms it.

I don't want to hijack the thread, so if I am out of line let me know, but here is my question. My joining orders stated the course I am on is from Sept. 9 to Nov. 16. Now I am informed (yesterday) that it is from Sept. 9 until Dec. 7th. I a reservist and I think my boss has been pretty awesome to let me go for 10 weeks, but 14 weeks on short notice is going to be a killer.

My home unit is trying to find out what the situation is. The calender does not show this change and no answers from above are too forthcoming as of yet. The problem is I have to fish or cut bait and my home unit is having trouble getting any answers. By chance does anyone here know what is going on? Is this a clusterfluck or a new program by design? Is the new condensed CAP going from 10 weeks to 14?

My course (including the battle school prep week) goes from Sep 9th-Nov 23rd, and thats all 5 mods

Just a quick note:

There is no grad parade for CAP.  Atleast there wasn't last year. 

There is no requirement for DEUs.  (I hadn't been received mine by that time.  They were delivered to Clothing while I was there and they never got out of the box until after I got home!)  There were a number of reservists on course who had not been in for 1 year and where thus not entitled to DEUs; as a result, our DEUs were not inspectable.

That being said -- don't be a fool.  If you have the kit, bring it.

By the way, the 'four seasons in one day' comment is not a myth.  Nor is the existance of swamps/ponds on the sides of steep hills.

Good luck with the course.  I hope you enjoy it.  It will be what you make of it.  I loved it and had an absolute blast while others I know did not have as great an experience as I did.

I happen to be there during Nov 11, so I'm assuming we'll be at least wearing DEUs for that day.

elim

Lesson 1:  Never assume anything.

(Although there is a very strong likelihood that you are correct!)

Back