• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

George Floyd/ Derek Chauvin Thread

Donald H said:
Haggis and Target UP, I think Canada is the best country in the world, regardless of whether it's under the Liberals or Conservatives, bar none!

I have stood on that wall for Canada wearing a green or blue uniform for over 40 years.  It is a wonderful, beautiful country with some of the smartest, kindest and most giving people in the world.

However, what I think of Canada internationally is irrelevant. My post was to make the point that Canada has not been taken seriously on the world stage since 2015 and probably  will retain that ignominious status for the foreseeable future.

Haggis said:
However, what I think of Canada internally is irrelevant. My post was to make the point that Canada has not been taken seriously on the world stage since 2015 and probably  will retain that ignominious status for the foreseeable future.

I've also been around for more than 65 years but I didn't wear the uniform for nearly as long as you did. And I won't ask you what you mean by internally because you're said it's irrelevant and that tells me you don't want to discuss it further.

But I 'will' take an opposing position on your comment of Canada not being taken seriously on the world stage since 2015. My point is, that which counts for your opinion is in my opinion quite possibly not the same for the majority of Canadians.

I can only guess on what your opinion is founded so why not tell us what your think happened in 2015 that stopped Canada being taken seriously on the world stage.

:cheers:

Haggis said:
However, what I think of Canada internally is irrelevant. My post was to make the point that Canada has not been taken seriously on the world stage since 2015 and probably  will retain that ignominious status for the foreseeable future.

"internally"?? Or did you mean "internationally" ?

Haggis said:
Gosh darn otto korrect.  Fixed.

Now it makes more sense! But makes me doubly curious as to what you think happened to Canada in 2015 on the international scene to cause us to be regarded not so highly?

Could you have possibly meant 1995? That makes a lot of sense to me but I won't lead the conversation in that direction right now.

Your opinions are valuable to me. There's been a lot of water under your bridge. My bridge too and so I'll bring you a different perspective if I continue here.

Looks like the trial is coming up soon. Likely to see a lot of boarded up windows.

Saw this in the news yesterday.

Paramedics arrive at a call and help police officers restrain a man in distress with a backboard.

( The "scoop sandwich" was used back in the day, but I never saw it in the 21st century. Looks like the crew didn't get the memo. )

"It's not until paramedics arrive and help officers restrain him with a blue plastic backboard that he becomes unresponsive."

“We’re going to put this on his back, and you guys can sit on it. Sit on that board.”

...yeah, he died.

Lessons learned:

The end.

This is the body cam footage. It was released on Friday.​

I'm no expert, but I see it as a straight up EMS kill. They should have known better. My guess is the crew will be sent for remedial training, and the taxpayers will be on the hook for a major lawsuit.

( Sorry about the bold in some places. It's my computer, not me. )

Yikes! Is that SOP?

Seems like they were more focused on getting his hands secured than making sure he stayed alive...

Yikes! Is that SOP?
With everything that has been taught about positional asphixia since the mid 1990s, I'm surprised there are services still using boards.

Seems like local protocols may vary.

Looks like the family is getting $27,000,000 USD.

200.gif

Yes. That's what gets me, D and B. Not just this case either.

We had one involved my former department just after I retired. Police were not involved. There was no criminality. No criminal charges. Not even a parking ticket. Nobody got fired. Just some remedial training.

But, that one boo-boo cost the city taxpayers ( as I am ) $10,000,000.

Absolute horse crap.

Was it a tragic & avoidable situation? Absolutely. Will the family be paid a hefty sum? Absolutely.

But $27M??

That's not even remotely reasonable.

Absolute horse crap.

Was it a tragic & avoidable situation? Absolutely. Will the family be paid a hefty sum? Absolutely.

But $27M??

That's not even remotely reasonable.
It’s a message to the policing profession collectively to un**** itself. It’s saying “here are the financial consequences to any municipality that doesn’t get it together”. Bear in mind that this was a settlement. They clearly feared a trial would result in a much higher amount. The intent with these large amounts is to deter like behaviour in future.

Okay, from that perspective, that huge sum makes more sense.

Still...mind boggling. Just wow.

And never, NEVER, admit the department has done anything wrong.

That $27 million from the city is on top of the other donations to the family.

Bear in mind that this was a settlement. They clearly feared a trial would result in a much higher amount.
To draw a Canadian comparison, this is exactly why the Trudeau government paid $10.5 M to Omar Khadr. Had his suit gone to trial it was likely the Crown would have lost and taxpayers would have been on the hook for five times more than that.

To draw a Canadian comparison, this is exactly why the Trudeau government paid $10.5 M to Omar Khadr. Had his suit gone to trial it was likely the Crown would have lost and taxpayers would have been on the hook for five times more than that.
Precisely.

“You as an organization are liable for a massive wrong. Don’t do it again or this will happen again.”

OP: Case against Minneapolis officers appears to be unraveling before it gets to trial since facts matter.

I guess by now most of us who have been following the case have read about the verdict in the criminal trial.

There is also the civil liability to the City of Minneapolis taxpayers.

From what I have read, Derek had 19 years of service with the city police, and earned a $72,000 salary in 2019.

The city paid the NOK of George Floyd $27 million.

If my calculation is correct, that would be Derek's salary for the next 375 years.

Reminds me of when my employer paid out $10 million to a NOK for a boo-boo by one of our crews on a call. Unlike the case in Minneapolis, there were no criminal charges, and neither one got fired or resigned.

Case against Minneapolis officers appears to be unraveling​

Might have to re-think the thread title a little bit.

The judge handed Derek 22.5 years.

Back