• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CBC "interactive casualty map"

Kilo_302

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
I don't know if any of you guys have seen this, but the CBC news website has what it calls an "interactive Afghanistan map" that shows the locations and circumstances of Canadian casualties in Afghanistan. I don't see what the point of such a feature is. I could maybe understand it if they included NATO casualties, Taliban casualties, civilian casualties, sites of major engagments etc, but to focus entirely on Canadian deaths seems to be a bit morbid. The whole thing feels like a crude video game, and it's pretty offensive. To be fair, some other features are included such as Kandahar itself, some geographical features etc. But it appears that these were added to avoid criticism. The sidebar has Canadian casualties listed by date, leaving no doubt as to the focus of the map. I have to admit, I rely on the CBC for my television/online news in conjunction with BBC as well as some American sources, but as far as military reporting goes, this is over the line. CBC should be ashamed to have included a feature on it's website that serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever, other than to exploit the deaths of Canadian soldiers.

Interesting as well to see the locations of our FOBs.. they aren't hidden or anything, but I would have thought thats something the general public doesn't need to know.

MikeM said:
Interesting as well to see the locations of our FOBs.. they aren't hidden or anything, but I would have thought thats something the general public doesn't need to know.
When you go out of your way to keep info from the public, that the bad guys obviously know, you only feed the conspiracy trolls.

It's just another part of that tax-paying, oversight-of-government, transparent democracy...thing.

Edit for clarity: I was referring to the Taliban as "the bad guys," not the CBC....this time  ;)

The map was posted just before Remembrance Day - it appeared then to be part of their way of remembering and honouring all soldiers.  I think that is why it focused only on the Canadian deaths, but I could be wrong.

Kilo_302 said:
I don't know if any of you guys have seen this, but the CBC news website has what it calls an "interactive Afghanistan map" that shows the locations and circumstances of Canadian casualties in Afghanistan. I don't see what the point of such a feature is. I could maybe understand it if they included NATO casualties, Taliban casualties, civilian casualties, sites of major engagments etc, but to focus entirely on Canadian deaths seems to be a bit morbid. The whole thing feels like a crude video game, and it's pretty offensive. To be fair, some other features are included such as Kandahar itself, some geographical features etc. But it appears that these were added to avoid criticism. The sidebar has Canadian casualties listed by date, leaving no doubt as to the focus of the map. I have to admit, I rely on the CBC for my television/online news in conjunction with BBC as well as some American sources, but as far as military reporting goes, this is over the line. CBC should be ashamed to have included a feature on it's website that serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever, other than to exploit the deaths of Canadian soldiers.

Not that I don't see your point (or CBC's bias) - but I think it's a good idea, and I would like to see this done (with even more information) for Canada's previous casualties.

Honouring the dead is probably the last thing on a CBC producer's mind, influencing the public opinion against the war is uppermost.

I looked at the map, but "Truth" wasn't marked anywhere..........

Well they seemed to have forgotten about Sgt. Short, Cpl. Beerenfenger and Cpl. Murphy.  ::)

Michael Baker said:
I like it, since it shows what our soldiers fight through every day.
How so?

cheeky_monkey said:
Well they seemed to have forgotten about Sgt. Short, Cpl. Beerenfenger and Cpl. Murphy.  ::)

My oh my, indeed they have.

Lest We Forget.

Cpl Jamie Murphy - 27 Jan 2004 - Suicide Bomber
Sgt Robert Short - 02 Oct 2003 - Mine Strike
Cpl Robbie Beerenfenger - 02 Oct 2003 - Mine Strike

Now I realize that the CBC map is entitled "Canadian Casualties Around Khandahar," and that these 3 soldiers were killed in the Kabul area, but at least a mention of their passing and sacrifice would be appropriate.

The Librarian said:

Lest We Forget.

Now I realize that the CBC map is entitled "Canadian Casualties Around Khandahar," and that these 3 soldiers were killed in the Kabul area, but at least a mention of their passing and sacrifice would be appropriate.

It's actually VERY easy - I've done similar maps myself for work using
http://quikmaps.com

Maybe we should start using the "Send Your Feedback" on the page - I'll try, and see what happens....

We may not even have to do that. CBC monitors this website pretty closely. Its the only one in Canada that brings together soldiers, ex-soldiers and and military "enthusiasts" on such a scale. Since this stuff is so foreign to CBC you can bet they get interns to check this site for what the "real military" POV is. The ytoo have to get down in the dirt sometimes :)

Michael Baker said:
We can see Panjwayi, where many soldiers were injured, an some killed.

A semi-detailed satellite picture does NOT tell of the mission our soldiers are engaged in, nor does it does not tell us where in the region the mission has the most support.
Most Canadians can only guess what kind of hell they have to fight through, and even then they will never be able to fathom the troops' sacrafices.

I don't see why anyone here should take offense at a casualty map... I don't see that it's such a big deal. When I was at Meaford there was a map very similiar to that at the entrance to the mess, and in between the set of front doors to the North barracks. No one made a stink about it and declared "I'm offended!"

...of course, Meaford is a combat training base... so being offended by a map meant you didn't go there if you were overly sensitive.

The Librarian said:

Lest We Forget.

Zoom out three levels.

Back