• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Short Service Medals

Been back for a while from a year in the sandbox, where I was imbedded with the CF as the lone horseman. Great experience and great people in the CF, by the way.  Just a couple of rumours I thought I might bring to the discussion, as well as an 'outsiders' viewpoint on the medal discussion. May head off on some other threads but here goes...

1) I guess from the outside, I see any kind of recognition for the guys and gals 'over there' as a good thing - but realistically it can easily create dissention. I think much of it is in the attitude of the wearer...Saw the development, warts and all, of the Cdn. CIB - that looks like a recipe for problems. Of interest, when I was in Kandahar in 2005 on a TAV, the US Battle Group were scrapping because US personnel on KAF hit with rockets were claiming the career-building CIB while the grunts were out there fighting for it...funny how history repeats itself.

2) As for 'second class' medals, as an RCMP I am not allowed to get the same medal as the folks I worked along side of - GSM for me (same as the CANCAP folks). Fair? Probably not and I know it pissed some people off, but I have to admit I know what I did to earn it and I am proud of it just as much as my SWASM.  My father in law (may he rest in peace) was a Merchant Navy officer in WWII, PPCLI in Korea and Intelligence Corps (including the October Crisis) until he ended his career - when he died he had a fistful of medals. The only ones that really mattered to him? His North Atlantic Star and Burma Star - I guess because they meant the most to him personally for what he had done, including taking a torpedo from a U-Boat and surviving going down and stranded at sea. Food for thought.

3) The whole medal of sacrifice thing was discussed while I was there, as was the short service medal - nobody wants to be just like the Yanks but I don't think that will happen. Again, from an outsiders point of view a little bit of extra recognition doesn't hurt - although I do like the wound stripe(s). I wonder if the medal of sacrifice will extend to the families of those KIA? Perhaps something like that may be a very special posthumous recognition for the families? Just a thought.

4) Prior to rotating home, there were a couple of rumors which the Brass at least partially confirmed. They said the GCS (and the GSM) were going to be amalgamated into one medal (the Star) and named changed to 'Afghanistan Campaign Medal'. ISAF bar kept (no mention of what happens to the 'Allied Force' bar) and another bar issued with 'Kandahar' for 30 days or more service (or sorties in/out) within the Provincial boundaries of Kandahar. They also said it would allow roman numerals for tours. True? I am starting to doubt it as that line seems to have gone silent since I got back. Too bad - I felt for everybody who was doing their 3rd or 4th tour over there and had the same medal for their first 30 days on their first tour. The 'Kandahar' bar appealed to folks because it means something to show that you were there, etc. Again - as an outsider it seemed to be a good idea but the wheels of the CF turn slowly, I guess.

Anyway - there is my 5 cents - maybe up to a dime. Interested in hearing if anybody else heard similar rumours.   

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-medals/too-many.htm

i think this explains my point of view

A soldier who spends 35yrs as a member of the Australian Army without deploying ends up with two medals. His long service and the ADM itself. There aint no chest full.

I don't think thats too many, and check out what the ADM is officially given out for before you use the link above.

The ADM has its purpose, and there is nothing cheap or wimpish about it. I am very proud of mine.

if and when the time comes the CF go for something similar, I'll be putting in for mine.

Some people will always be critical over nothing.

Wesley  Down Under said:
A soldier who spends 35yrs as a member of the Australian Army without deploying ends up with two medals. His long service and the ADM itself. There aint no chest full.

I don't think thats too many, and check out what the ADM is officially given out for before you use the link above.

The ADM has its purpose, and there is nothing cheap or wimpish about it. I am very proud of mine.

if and when the time comes the CF go for something similar, I'll be putting in for mine.

Some people will always be critical over nothing.

I have the ADM on my CF's and am proud of it. I spent 10 years in the Australian navy and the medal was introduced after i discharged. Originally I believe one of the conditions of this medal were to have completed an initial enlistment term, I'm not sure of what the aussie army terms are but mine were open ended which basically means no signups after 4 to 6 year period then i think it got change to min 4 years. In my personal opinion alot can happen in the navy in 4 years especially now in the environment we currently are. I've seen guys 21 years old that have been deployed on ships all over the place and probably have 6 medals but not the ADM, so although it's a short time it may not always be a gimme medal.

Back