• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cfat rewrite 14 years later...

Sapran

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I wrote my Cfat when I was 16-17 about 14 years ago. Crappy day I remember, I didn't qualify for any trades as the test was a lot harder than I thought it would be.

I am 31 now and a father/real estate agent. As you can imagine life is pretty busy, I have applied for the infantry reserve as I see it being something I could commit to.

So for my question, is the CFAT still the same bull shit I remembered a long time ago? and what are your thoughts on scoring and passing marks when it comes to reserve. I know none of us will have the direct answers but curious on what people's opinions are.

Many thanks to anyone that could give me some insight, I feel with my life experience and getting 94% on my real estate exam that requires some good verbal knowledge and math, that I shouldn't need to write this test. Maybe I am just bitter but feels a little wrong to not be allowed in because maybe I lack the ability to fold objects in my head. This time around will be a different mindset, I feel like the Canadian military need me more than I need them at this point, so I won't be quite as heartbroken if things don't go the way I want.... That being said I feel like it is my duty to serve in these tough times as the world is on edge, so I hope they allow me to do so.

Hey Sapran,

I was going to write that your previous CFAT test is still eligible, but since you didn't passed any trades, I guess this doesn't apply :p

CFAT points does not differ if you go Regular or Reserve; it will determinate if you're eligible for certain trades, regardeless if it's full or part-time.

You can try the free online CFAT test on the FAC website. There's also plenty of good Youtube videos to help you train and get ready for your next CFAT exam, and a lot of free stuff to practice for the exam.

If you're good in verbal skills and problem solving, you're a step ahead a lot of people ;)

Hey Sapran,

I was going to write that your previous CFAT test is still eligible, but since you didn't passed any trades, I guess this doesn't apply :p

CFAT points does not differ if you go Regular or Reserve; it will determinate if you're eligible for certain trades, regardeless if it's full or part-time.

You can try the free online CFAT test on the FAC website. There's also plenty of good Youtube videos to help you train and get ready for your next CFAT exam, and a lot of free stuff to practice for the exam.

If you're good in verbal skills and problem solving, you're a step ahead a lot of people ;)
Thanks for the reply Aper,

I am a native speaker but still got destroyed on the verbal section I remember, words I have never see in my life.
All I can do is take another crack at it, I remember the recruiter looking at my test and just shaking his head haha...word for word (this is the Canadian military if you want you can go join the American Military) good times.. The Cfat on the forces site was the reason I failed, very misleading when it comes to difficulty as I think that needs to also be addressed.

Either way I will let you know how things go and hopefully it will be good news in the future.

Thanks for the reply Aper,

I am a native speaker but still got destroyed on the verbal section I remember, words I have never see in my life.
All I can do is take another crack at it, I remember the recruiter looking at my test and just shaking his head haha...word for word (this is the Canadian military if you want you can go join the American Military) good times.. The Cfat on the forces site was the reason I failed, very misleading when it comes to difficulty as I think that needs to also be addressed.

Either way I will let you know how things go and hopefully it will be good news in the future.
The current version of the CFAT practice (link found on Forces.ca under How to Apply > Steps to Apply) is much more close to the actual test than the one that was available 14 years ago (the current practice test was released around 2018).

The old practice test is not the reason you scored the way you did though... if it was, then how did other people pass? I recommend using it as a guide to study. Ensure that, as a minimum, you are confident in quickly solving all of the problem solving questions without a calculator (scrap paper and pen/pencil is provided).

Hey Sapran,

Hey guys,

I wrote my Cfat when I was 16-17 about 14 years ago. Crappy day I remember, I didn't qualify for any trades as the test was a lot harder than I thought it would be.

I am 31 now and a father/real estate agent. As you can imagine life is pretty busy, I have applied for the infantry reserve as I see it being something I could commit to.

So for my question, is the CFAT still the same bull shit I remembered a long time ago? and what are your thoughts on scoring and passing marks when it comes to reserve. I know none of us will have the direct answers but curious on what people's opinions are.

Many thanks to anyone that could give me some insight, I feel with my life experience and getting 94% on my real estate exam that requires some good verbal knowledge and math, that I shouldn't need to write this test. Maybe I am just bitter but feels a little wrong to not be allowed in because maybe I lack the ability to fold objects in my head. This time around will be a different mindset, I feel like the Canadian military need me more than I need them at this point, so I won't be quite as heartbroken if things don't go the way I want.... That being said I feel like it is my duty to serve in these tough times as the world is on edge, so I hope they allow me to do so.
Hi Sapran I’m in the same situation as you I failed my cfat yrs ago and recently tried it again seeing the short fall of manpower! I thought with being a firefighter for the last 17yrs would be helpful getting into my local reserve unit would help but since I couldn’t figure out those crazy math questions and spatial questions I failed again so it is to me frustrating… apparently years ago the cfat was pretty easy and they eliminated people via basic training maybe they should do it that way again

Hi Sapran I’m in the same situation as you I failed my cfat yrs ago and recently tried it again seeing the short fall of manpower! I thought with being a firefighter for the last 17yrs would be helpful getting into my local reserve unit would help but since I couldn’t figure out those crazy math questions and spatial questions I failed again so it is to me frustrating… apparently years ago the cfat was pretty easy and they eliminated people via basic training maybe they should do it that way again
The CFAT hasn't changed, and actually was made easier than 17 years ago when you did it by letting people fail sections and still pass with an overall mark. If you qualified for no trades, then best of luck with the remainder of your firefighting career. It's an important job too.

Hey buddy! that is insane that you are a firefighter and they didn't take you. That job itself requires a lot of dedication and study. Hearing stories like this personally are having negative thoughts towards the Canadian forces. I have seen the people that they take, let's just say they look pretty soft..

Hey buddy! that is insane that you are a firefighter and they didn't take you. That job itself requires a lot of dedication and study. Hearing stories like this personally are having negative thoughts towards the Canadian forces. I have seen the people that they take, let's just say they look pretty soft..
Yeah, we're looking for a few good real estate agents to round out the numbers in JTF2.

Sure thing! With their sharp negotiation skills and ability to navigate tricky terrain, those real estate agents might just be the secret weapon JTF2 didn't know they needed. Imagine them storming into a negotiation room armed with market analysis and closing deals like it's a high-stakes mission. Who knows, maybe they'll even have a special ops division for flipping properties!

The timing for much appears to be bad. They just dropped the CFAT for a bunch of trades...which i imagine will slow everything further.

Looks like a whole crop of recruit potentials being made to wait as many are stuck post med, pre selection.

Maybe talk to recruitment about the no CFAT?

Back