• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chris Wallace leaving Fox

Fox News was a holdout against the Fox Faux News Opinion Entertainment fluff stuff. With Chris leaving it sounds like the rabble is making inroads into the more legit side of what's left of Fox.

:cautious:

Won't miss Chris Wallace at all. He is not his father, no matter how he tried.

Reactions: QV
NBC's Brian Williams quit his network. He had an unusual message.

NBC's Brian Williams quit his network. He had an unusual message.
Not unusual at all. Have a read of the Washington Post's "18 Steps to a Democratic Breakdown." The hatred and divisiveness is growing, and it's being actively aided and abetted by the politicians elected to bring the country together.

And increasingly, we have diminished reason to be smug up here north of the border.

"18 Steps to a Democratic Breakdown"

With a couple of exceptions, a list of vague (as in absence of details) hand-wringing objections aligned with worries Democrats have that not everything goes their way all the time. No one should be taken seriously who writes or talks about voting control changes as if change is presumptively bad and must necessarily reduce turnout (it doesn't).

[Add: the most important part about the "democratic process" that holds it together is its output legitimacy: the opinion that whatever was done was done "fairly". Loosey-goosey voting standards are more corrosive than voting controls that people in most other countries - including ours - take for granted. Efforts - co-ordinated or not - to "nudge" an election to a desired result are bad no matter who undertakes them.]

If the temperature is to be turned down, the people complaining will have to admit to their flaws also. I suppose most of the hatred and divisiveness originates with political operatives and opinion columnists who will not tell a story straight or allow it to be told straight, and then pretend it just didn't matter and everyone should all move on after they've pocketed their political advantage and the original narrative is revealed as bullsh!t.

It will happen here. There is a seething under reported anger going on in this country too. I see it everyday. Talk to people in unguarded moments they are mad, upset and sometimes confused. They understand something is very wrong may not know what it is but they feel it.

There is a seething under reported anger going on in this country too. I see it everyday. Talk to people in unguarded moments they are mad, upset and sometimes confused. They understand something is very wrong may not know what it is but they feel it.

When I hear people griping about Canada, and they don't even "know what it is" they are "seething" about, I am reminded of this,

It will happen here. There is a seething under reported anger going on in this country too. I see it everyday. Talk to people in unguarded moments they are mad, upset and sometimes confused. They understand something is very wrong may not know what it is but they feel it.
I have a feeling this contributes to why some people refused the covid vaccine.

To quote General Patton:

If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking.

Politicians are mistaken when they assume their successful re-election means their immoral unethical self-serving hypocritical behaviour is forgiven. Trustworthiness is much harder to create than to destroy. It's not just the size of the hole dug so far; it's that they continue digging. It's unlikely any real crisis of public confidence will result. But if one does, as with most crises the inflection will be sharp (no-one will really see it coming because it will deviate so sharply from whatever is measurable as "trends").

When I hear people griping about Canada, and they don't even "know what it is" they are "seething" about, I am reminded of this,

I think that clip actually may help explain why people are upset. That clip comes from a time that was pretty much the pinnacle of our civilization and things have been trending downwards. People may not be able to articulate what exactly is wrong, but they can see that the Canadian way of life they (or their parents) knew is being chiselled away.

Granted, we still have it very good, and our children have it good in the context of human history. But I can understand the anger. I remember the Canada I grew up in, and I do not see a present or future for my children that is nearly as good as what I had. I was able to buy my first house at 25, my children most likely will never own homes. Heck, I was allowed to breathe air unimpeded, go to a movie theatre or a restaurant and my children can't. It was never ever illegal to go to church when I was a child. Even my wife, growing up in communist Poland, never had a scenario where it was illegal to go to church yet these are things we see in Canada today. Regardless of whether the reasons are justifiable, there's been a marked downturn in quality of life. Even if it's still better than many places, people will still be upset over such a downturn.

That clip comes from a time that was pretty much the pinnacle of our civilization and things have been trending downwards.

They don't call it The Greatest Generation ( also known as the G.I. Generation and the World War II generation ) for nothing.

All my heroes were from that generation.

As each new year arrives, it is most likely the best year to ever be alive. There are just too many good things that outweigh the bad.

Most expressed opinions fall into two silos: "good old days", or "never better". There is a third: some things have been lost which should not have.

What's missing are the wisdom to see what should be conserved, and the fortitude to conserve it. Everyone who sees a fence (look up Chesterton's fence) demands it be torn down immediately, without any real deliberation as to consequences. So we have lost some freedoms and social structures.

There's no "arc" or "right side" of history. Downturns happen if the wrong stuff is allowed to decay.

Back