• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CinC Unit Citation Award pin placement change?

eliminator

Reaction score
So, this is random. Today I saw an Army Lt Col wearing a CinC Unit Commendation pin on the right pocket flap of his tunic. (The pin was actually positioned on the inwards side of the right flap with the War of 1812 Commemorative pin on the opposite side of the same pocket flap.)

Has there been a change with the placement the CinC Commendation pin? Does it have something to do with whether the individual was a member of the unit when it received the citation?

Just thought I'd ask....

From what I've seen if you weren't part of the unit for actions it was awarded the CinC it is worn on the right pocket,  if you were part of the unit at the time it goes on the left.

Example,  2PPCLI has the CinC worn on right side for Medak Pocket,  and members who were part of Op Apollo, TF 1-06 and/or 3-06 have their C-in-C on the left.
http://www.army.gc.ca/IAOL/143000440000270/143000440000273/HTMLFiles/2vp_rsm_cwo_dandrade_sm.JPG

I remember when I first got into the Battalion everyone wore the Medak Pocket CinC on their left side, but then it was moved to the right. 

Thanks for the quick and informative reply. So, technically those who wear the CinC Unit Commendation pin on the right side, only sport it while a member of the unit that has previously been awarded. Once posted out, they remove it? Those who were part of the unit when the events for which the commendation were awarded, wear it for life, in the traditional lower left pocket spot.

Just stumbled across lots of great photos:

http://www.brandonsun.com/multimedia/pov/124068139.html

eliminator said:
So, technically those who wear the CinC Unit Commendation pin on the right side, only sport it while a member of the unit that has previously been awarded. Once posted out, they remove it?

Yes,  once the member is posted they remove the CinC and in the case of 2PPCLI the Presidential Unit Citation as well.

eliminator said:
Those who were part of the unit when the events for which the commendation were awarded, wear it for life, in the traditional lower left pocket spot.

That is my understanding as well,  and what I have seen.

eliminator said:
Just stumbled across lots of great photos:

http://www.brandonsun.com/multimedia/pov/124068139.html
OK, in the third pic the Maj (OC?) and LCol W seem to have the Presidential Unit Citation on their right shoulder. It used to be on the left only. When did this change?

The Presidential Unit Citation is worn on both shoulders. This always has been the rule, at least since I joined 2VP in 1976.

The Commander in Chief citation is worn on the left breast pocket as shown in the pictures from one of the above posts, if you we're with the unit at that action/event.

If you were not there , the CinC is worn on the right breast pocket on the flap. When you are posted out, the CinC comes down. Same with the Presidential Unit Citation.

Jim Seggie said:
The Presidential Unit Citation is worn on both shoulders. This always has been the rule....
How 'bout that. Wrong twice in the same day.  :dunno:

Back