• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Close Protection Training

riggs

Inactive
Reaction score
Is there much training in vip/close protection training in the forces. And do regular army units provide close protection or does that task go to JTF. My goal isn't the JTF, but vip/close protection work does intrest me. Thanks

I am pretty sure that Military Police  might receive some training in this.

Edited the title for you.

I will PM this thread to our resident expert, but for the next 2 weeks his attendance here will be spotty.

The Combat carry magizine always has a scenario they talk about for protection teams. About $4-5 per issue and some good articles in between the 1911 love-in stuff.

What exactly do you want to know?
1. The MPs recently got the tasking back,
2. We lost 2 who were part of BGen Frasiers team over seas to a roadside bomb,
3. There is a selection held about twice a year with as many courses,
4. The intent as far as I know is to reach a certain critical mass of CP operaters before a CP "unit" is stood up, and
5. That's all I have without getting too far into the weeds.

Cheers

Poppa

Did you attend the recent Town Hall meeting where the MP's are passing off the CP to Area Security Officers and Reps, or something along those lines?  Apparently there is supposed to be some sort of PPS to inform/show them how it is to be done.  Could you clear this up if you know anything about it?

I've been on leave for the past week and a half so...no.
Is this just info on the CP tasking or were folks under the impression that the CP was being farmed out to non MP types?
I'm back at work Wed so I can do some snooping

I am interested in this info as well.  I don't here any details over seas.  I am doing the CP thing right now in the ghan.

I've had a couple of my people apply for CPP.
But I must warn you, you have to be in shape and confident in your weapons handling skills to even consider trying out.
Plus if your icon is correct your also an Officer, which I have to tell you sets yourself at a higher standard than every NCM/NCO at the selection. I've known other Officers who've technically "passed" the CPP course but didn't get selected because of leadership. So you have to certainly not be half-***ed about your approach to the program.

But if you are willing, I wish you the best of luck. 

Is it still locked in as an MP only course? I was wandering about things like this. Is there anychance for PRes MP Officers/NCMs to apply for this?

There are a number of Res MP's who are working in the CP world, domestically and in theater. It was also just opened up for MSE Ops to fill driver positions. The MSE types will go through all the same screening and training but will be used as...drivers, go figure.

MPO's can apply but IMHO there are too many MPO's who want to be Cpls and do all of the cool shit. BTW I know some MPO's who are CP types and I have no problem saying this to them. Don't take it as sour grapes.

Does anyone know why this isnt open to infantry? I know in Canada CP is more geared towards MP's, but in theater it seems like an infantry specialty to me.

If you can wait a bit, say until tomorrow I'll take a bash at that one for you.

Oh what the hell.

Basically it's down to who owns the capability. Obviously, we'll use other trades because we don't have our own LAV dvrs etc...but if it's in our mandate why not do the job in theater?

I know that didn't answer your question but I think my cats just destroyed something upstairs. I'll try and get a better answer later.

The basic CP stuff is done by the MP trade - basically they took it due to their "expertise" from doing the DFAIT stuff.
  Highend PSD is done by DHTC - however I understand CSOR will be developing this.

There is a big difference in domestic Executive Protection -- which most DFAIT jobs are as well.
  High Risk PSD as done in Iraq and Afghan - typically gets halfassed by the Military (the US mil as well from what I have seen).

That is really too bad that they are accepting MSE Ops in the CP program.  They don't need drivers, every MP who goes thru the training is trained to drive to a very high standard .... they need Signallers and Medics as a priority. 

We were using R22eR folks in my Roto to fill positions here and there, with great success.... PM me if you want more info, this was theatre-specific, obviously - it's an MP mandate, for the most part, with JTF-2 coming in on specific occasions, as they are still responsible for certain aspects of CP (I can mention that much without breaching OPSEC). It's a great go for the MP branch, I really hope that we can sustain it. As a branch, we're stretching thin to retain the capability, but it is good for us. I've got many buddies and troops who have gone CP. I'm seriously debating it in the next year as it's an amazing job overseas, and I want to feel some of that rush that my friends have gone through  and related to me, and have tried to convince me to do, in terms of deployed-CP ops. Those folks who have mentioned that we're opening up the task to MSE-Ops are correct - we need drivers. It's definitely a good go. I don't know about opportunites for CP in other trades. It is a very physically and mentally demanding job... in *my opinion only* while it is a MP mandate right now, there is no reason why we couldn't open it to other trades who can qualify and complete the requisite training.

captjtq said:
We were using R22eR folks in my Roto to fill positions here and there, with great success.... PM me if you want more info, this was theatre-specific, obviously - it's an MP mandate, for the most part, with JTF-2 coming in on specific occasions, as they are still responsible for certain aspects of CP (I can mention that much without breaching OPSEC). It's a great go for the MP branch, I really hope that we can sustain it. As a branch, we're stretching thin to retain the capability, but it is good for us. I've got many buddies and troops who have gone CP. I'm seriously debating it in the next year as it's an amazing job overseas, and I want to feel some of that rush that my friends have gone through  and related to me, and have tried to convince me to do, in terms of deployed-CP ops. Those folks who have mentioned that we're opening up the task to MSE-Ops are correct - we need drivers. It's definitely a good go. I don't know about opportunites for CP in other trades. It is a very physically and mentally demanding job... in *my opinion only* while it is a MP mandate right now, there is no reason why we couldn't open it to other trades who can qualify and complete the requisite training.

Wow, I don't really know where to begin.....for starters have you actually talked to any CP guys that have come back from theatre about some of this?  The R22eR augmentees are not a "great success"..... From my experience they could barely keep the "great success" off of charge parade or from embarassing the VIP.  One bad apple?  Maybe.  As far as training him in CP drills go - we couldn't where I was, everytime we started to practise something all the LEPs on camp would come out to watch .... not too mention the lack of space.  You can't expect a guy to pick up all the drills in theatre during a few practise runs - so by no fault of their own - they were not good to have on the team.  However, an untrained Vandoo was better then nobody at all.  Still this should not ever happen.   

Secondly the whole MSE Op thing.  I don't know but I would suspect again that nobody asks the guys in theatre or the guys returning.  I don't know who or where they seem to come up with these grand ideas.  Let me make this very clear:

WE DON'T NEED DRIVERS!!!

Every CP member already knows how to drive, its part of the training, its required, is practised all the time.  Each team needs someone who is skilled with comms equipment.  Most meat heads don't know jack s**t about comms gear.  Each team needs someone who is a skilled medic.  Again most meat heads don't know any first aid past what is taught during pre-deployment training!! Many times you are far far away from QRF and medivac... so it would be nice to have some one who can treat a wounded member beyond sticking a tourniquet around his neck!

So basically CP operators know how to drive, know how to shoot, and they know how to protect the vip.  What needs to be brought to the table are skills that MPs don't normally have and that won't be taught to them.  Signallers, Medics, Mechanics, Infanteers - all have skills that are useful and that MPs don't have.  These are the people that should be recruited for the CP program.     

QV said:
Wow, I don't really know where to begin.....for starters have you actually talked to any CP guys that have come back from theatre about some of this?  The R22eR augmentees are not a "great success"..... From my experience they could barely keep the "great success" off of charge parade or from embarassing the VIP.  One bad apple?  Maybe.  As far as training him in CP drills go - we couldn't where I was, everytime we started to practise something all the LEPs on camp would come out to watch .... not too mention the lack of space.  You can't expect a guy to pick up all the drills in theatre during a few practise runs - so by no fault of their own - they were not good to have on the team.  However, an untrained Vandoo was better then nobody at all.  Still this should not ever happen.   

Secondly the whole MSE Op thing.  I don't know but I would suspect again that nobody asks the guys in theatre or the guys returning.  I don't know who or where they seem to come up with these grand ideas.  Let me make this very clear:

WE DON'T NEED DRIVERS!!!

Every CP member already knows how to drive, its part of the training, its required, is practised all the time.  Each team needs someone who is skilled with comms equipment.  Most meat heads don't know jack s**t about comms gear.  Each team needs someone who is a skilled medic.  Again most meat heads don't know any first aid past what is taught during pre-deployment training!! Many times you are far far away from QRF and medivac... so it would be nice to have some one who can treat a wounded member beyond sticking a tourniquet around his neck!

So basically CP operators know how to drive, know how to shoot, and they know how to protect the vip.  What needs to be brought to the table are skills that MPs don't normally have and that won't be taught to them.  Signallers, Medics, Mechanics, Infanteers - all have skills that are useful and that MPs don't have.  These are the people that should be recruited for the CP program.     

I don't need to ask any of the CP guys. I was the Deputy Task Force Provost Marshal on Roto 2. Yeah, it wasn't the 100% solution, but it was a great success in the view that they already had the mentality, and required a lot less training than even bringing in another non-CP trained MP. It allowed you folks to get on with a lot of jobs that you otherwise wouldn't have been able to do because of manpower issues. And while you're wonderful drivers, and I'd stack you up against anyone, we don't have the numbers to sustain everything at this point. Until those numbers increase, or they increase the numbers of the branch, it's going to be a struggle and we're going to continue to look for other solutions.

Back