• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Close Protection Training

The next CPAC is in November, so apply now if you want a chance at it. I suggest at least Exempt on your express test, it's competitive.

I took my Close Protection course in the United States, I didn't want to wait so I paid for my own course, travel, and expenses. When I retired I went straight into Close Protection in Afghanistan and haven't looked back yet. 

Cheers
Pop

Hello, I am new to army.ca. I came here because I can not get any real answers elsewhere. This year, they are not running a CP selection/course. I am wondering if this is temporary or have they shut it down? Any feedback would appreciated.

If it's going to happen it will come out in a CANFORGEN, but given how many selections/courses that have run in the last several years, and the winding down of major ops next year, I suspect there are plenty of qualified personnel floating around in the CF, and they don't really need to run any selections.

Hatchet Man said:
If it's going to happen it will come out in a CANFORGEN, but given how many selections/courses that have run in the last several years, and the winding down of major ops next year, I suspect there are plenty of qualified personnel floating around in the CF, and they don't really need to run any selections.

What is CP selection/course?

Maplehawk said:
Hello, I am new to army.ca. I came here because I can not get any real answers elsewhere. This year, they are not running a CP selection/course. I am wondering if this is temporary or have they shut it down? Any feedback would appreciated.

Only MPs are selected for close protection training.  CP Operators who aren't MPs received previous training.

Shamrock said:
Only MPs are selected for close protection training.  CP Operators who aren't MPs received previous training.

No, that is not the case anymore as two people from my reserve infantry unit got their qualification last year and a buddy of mine from QOR the previous year.

Shamrock said:
Keep reading that thread

? The last post in that thread states:

CANFORGEN 215/10 VCDS 028/10 211449Z OCT 10
CLOSE PROTECTION (CP) RECRUITING CAMPAIGN
UNCLASSIFIED

PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL PREVIOUS CPAC CANFORGENS ARE TO BE CANCELLED UPON RECEIPT OF THIS MSG

THE CANADIAN FORCES PROVOST MARSHAL IS SOLICITING HIGHLY MOTIVATED, PHYSICALLY FIT VOLUNTEERS FOR EMPLOYMENT WITHIN A SMALL TEAM ENVIRONMENT CONDUCTING CP. THE CP MANDATE CALLS FOR PERS WHO POSSESS VERY UNIQUE PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES AND ABILITIES, ENABLING THEM TO BE TRAINED TO PERFORM A VERY SPECIFIC, HIGH PRIORITY TASK. AS SUCH, A CP ASSESSMENT CENTRE (CPAC) WILL BE HELD IN JAN 11 TO SCREEN PERSONNEL INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR THE CP ROLE. APPLICATION DEADLINE IS 1 DEC 10

IT IS ESSENTIAL FOR VOLUNTEERS AND THEIR CHAIN OF COMMAND TO UNDERSTAND THAT THOSE FOUND SUITABLE FOLLOWING CPAC WILL BE LOADED ON ONE OF THE UPCOMING SERIALS OF THE CP COURSE, THE FIRST OF WHICH IS SCHEDULED TO RUN EARLY 2011. SUCCESSFUL GRADUATES OF THE CP COURSE WILL LIKELY BE TASKED AS A CP OPERATIVE AS EARLY AS MAR 11 TO BE DEPLOYED IN 2011

THE CP QUALIFICATION IS OPEN TO ALL CF MEMBERS WHO MEET THE FOLLOWING PRE-REQUISITES FOR CP TRG AND EMPLOYMENT:

REG OR RES F MBR OF THE RANK OF CPL TO SGT
REG FORCE MP OF THE RANK OF CAPT AND BELOW
MOS ID QUALIFIED

Did I miss something?

mariomike said:
A more recent discussion.

Close Protection Courses? Are they still being run?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/106223.0/nowap.html

Thank you!!! That's what I was asking! I didn't get that thread when I searched.

Delaney1986 said:
Thank you!!! That's what I was asking! I didn't get that thread when I searched.

You are welcome.  :)

Maplehawk said:
No, that is not the case anymore as two people from my reserve infantry unit got their qualification last year and a buddy of mine from QOR the previous year.

3. CPAC IS OPEN TO MP 00161 AND MPO 00214 WHO MEET THE FOL PRE-REQS:
A. REG F OR RES F MP OF THE RK OF CPL TO MWO
B. REG F OR RES F MPO OF THE RK OF MAJ AND BELOW
C. MOS ID QUAL
D. DOCS IAW CP SELECTION APPLIC:
E. RES F PERS MUST BE AVAL FOR UP TO 6 MO DEPL DURING A 3 YR LIABILITY PD FOL SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF CP TRG AND REG F PERS BE AVAL FOR SHORT AND MED DURATION TASKS ON REASONABLE NOTICE. THIS DOES NOT GUARANTEE A RES F EMPLOY CONTRACT.

Two serials have already been run this year

Sorry I'm a little confused.

Is this saying that currently Close Protection selection is available for Military police trades only or is it open for all trades to apply?
I clicked on the link

but it's saying there is an error.

ObedientiaZelum said:
I clicked on the link
That's because what used to be that thread has been merged with this one.  Shoulda mentioned the merge - my apologies.

Milnet.ca Staff

milnews.ca said:
That's because what used to be that thread has been merged with this one.  Shoulda mentioned the merge - my apologies.

Milnet.ca Staff

Ah thanks. Editing confuses me  ;D

it's too bad Close Protection is closed to trades other than MP now, I wouldn't have minded taking a crack at the course. I've heard about some of the job opportunities guys have had after that course and it's pretty wild.  It would also be a good way to disseminate the training across the CF

I went through the CPAC in 2007 which I'm sure is different now......my advice, if you can only get the minimum physical standard mentioned in the CANFORGEN then you're in trouble. The only portion of the CPAC that you can influence is your physical fitness level.

Back