• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CMMA - replacing the CP140 Aurora

It’s too bad we don’t have any exchange positions with the RAF; and that there are no NCM exchange positions with the USN and RAAF P-8s. 😕

Pro: No Canadian winters,

Con: Every insect and animal is actively planning to kill you through venom, kicking you to death or a combination of the two.
Con: Hot in summer (arguably winter too) and unless you like saltwater, potable water may become an issue.

Minister @FP_Champagne and I met with @Boeing today to discuss how we can advance the integration of our continental Defence Industrial Base, and create jobs and growth for Canadians. We'll continue to work with industry to deliver modern equipment to the @CanadianForces .

It strikes me as if this is the right way to conduct negotiations - is it too much to hope for? Gitterdone?

Did anyone bet on 14 P-8s?

…almost…
So…we’ve got:
• 10-8, 8-6
• 15-8, 6-6
• 18-8, 2-6(-)
• 18-8, 16-295 (and by association 16-27)
• 18-8, 16-295 (and by association 16-390)
• 10-6(multi-config)
• 20-8

@suffolkowner bet 15, which is the closest. Perhaps a two stage prize. SO’s got the first round…now for the runner up prize…

There’s a recent article that can’t be linked here that suggested the announcement could be this month prior to the POTUS visit…14 aircraft.
14 aircraft maintaining the current fleet size is a pleasant surprise. The original articles were quoting 8-12 aircraft.

I still think we need more for the size of our maritime domain though as well as the capability to deploy overseas when required. I think a total of 24 x airframes would be my uneducated guess at a minimum requirement.

24 x P-8s would be nice but maybe even a mixed fleet of 14 x P-8's and 10 x other airframes (an RPAS platform like the MQ-9B Sea Guardian, or a smaller manned MPA/MSA aircraft like the SC-130J Sea Hercules or even "gulp" a Bombardier Global 6500 MPA/MSA variant like the Swordfish/P-6).

14 aircraft maintaining the current fleet size is a pleasant surprise. The original articles were quoting 8-12 aircraft.

I still think we need more for the size of our maritime domain though as well as the capability to deploy overseas when required. I think a total of 24 x airframes would be my uneducated guess at a minimum requirement.

24 x P-8s would be nice but maybe even a mixed fleet of 14 x P-8's and 10 x other airframes (an RPAS platform like the MQ-9B Sea Guardian, or a smaller manned MPA/MSA aircraft like the SC-130J Sea Hercules or even "gulp" a Bombardier Global 6500 MPA/MSA variant like the Swordfish/P-6).
Get them into the inventory. Once they are there a future government can increase the buy. Just like the LPC did with the CPC F35 buy of 66.

People here are forgetting that there is also an RPAS project (currently MQ-9B is the only bidder) that is designed to take some of those tasks.

People here are forgetting that there is also an RPAS project (currently MQ-9B is the only bidder) that is designed to take some of those tasks.

1x Arctic Over The Horizon Radar
3x Radarsat Satellites
12x SkyGuardian RPAS
14x P8 CMMA
88x F35 JSF
15x CSC Frigates (AEGIS)
6x AOPS

Canadian National/Continental Defence Assets

Last edited:
I was hoping no one would remember that - as I don't want all those to get abducted for Northern Watch

I was hoping no one would remember that - as I don't want all those to get abducted for Northern Watch

Weren't they always going to that? And like with every other asset that Canada possesses, that which is surplus to domestic requirement is available to help out friends and strangers.

Charity begins at home.

Back