• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Column: Is AFG Worth Life of Canadian Soldiers?

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Outstanding column online by B/Gen Dennis Tabbernor, shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.  Well said!

Is Afghanistan worth it? A brigadier general answers
DENNIS TABBERNOR, Special to Globe and Mail Update
April 29, 2008 at 11:35 PM EDT
.pdf permalink to column

I was recently asked if Afghanistan was worth the death of a Canadian soldier. It is a question that goes to the root of our nation's involvement in this vitally important region, a question made all the more poignant by the losses here that our nation has endured.

Let me answer.

The terror of 9/11 was born and bred in the lawless vacuum that was Afghanistan, a shattered land of shattered lives left desperate after 30 years of war and corruption. Around this vacuum swirled the regional turbulence afflicting Iran, Pakistan, China, India and Russia. An Afghanistan left unstable and vulnerable to the inrush of these forces would prove an immense incubator for terrors beyond the compass of imagination.

So, as part of a coalition, we went to Afghanistan. If we fail here, if we leave Afghanistan without security forces, without sound governance, without the rule of law, without an infrastructure and an alternative to narcotics, we will invite back the forces that spawned 9/11.

I have been to Afghanistan every year since 2003; every year, I see improvement as the country, with the help of the international community, reawakens. Kabul is home to ten times the population I recall in 2003. Young women and girls are in school, an economy is growing and the people have a capable, principled army of which they are proud. In the growth of a police force and the admittedly, but perhaps understandably, more gradual birth of a system of governance, Afghans can see the dawn of a rule of law.

In April, 2007, I joined the Combined Security Transition Command-Afghanistan, a coalition comprising military personnel from Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Poland, Albania, Germany, France and Romania, as well as contracted civilian advisers, all working together as mentors and trainers. Our mission is to partner with the government of Afghanistan and the international community to organize, train, equip, advise and mentor the Afghan National Army and the Afghan National Police. As deputy commanding general for Afghan National Army Development, I am focused on development of the army.

Success for us is a national army that is professional and competent, literate, ethnically diverse, and capable of providing security throughout Afghanistan. The army comprises five ground manoeuvre corps and one air corps; by December, it will consist of 70,000 troops. Each region of the country is secured by one ground corps. In addition, we have trained and equipped three battalions of superbly capable commando soldiers. Equipment, from helicopters to rifles, has been donated by coalition countries.

I have seen little evidence of corruption in the army; its senior leadership is working hard to ensure it is a national institution Afghans can trust. Part of that is to identify and root out corruption, if and when found.

Afghans come to their army already quite willing to fight. Training occurs nationally and in each corps area. Beyond the basics any new soldier learns, commanders at all levels hone the ability to work in units and in co-operation with coalition forces. Growing leaders in the non-commissioned officer and officer ranks takes time, but pays off: Two corps are now able to plan and conduct complex missions with police and coalition forces. Of the security operations now in progress across the country, ANA forces are in the lead in all but a small minority.

We are working with the army to improve their artillery force, which is based on old Soviet equipment. While the coalition now provides air support and aerial medical evacuation, the Afghan air component, as its capabilities increase, will begin assuming these missions.

With soldiers from all of Afghanistan's major ethnic groups — the Pashtun, Tajiks, Uzbeks, Hazaras, Turkmen — this is truly a national force. Their battlefield success attests to their competence: These are soldiers who want to close with and engage their enemy. Whenever that enemy has been foolish enough to stand and fight, they have lost. We do not see hundreds of Taliban forming up to attack. They know better. They poke around by the handful and most end up dead or captured.

Instead of fighting, insurgents are resorting to improvised explosive devises and suicide bombers; the growth of confidence among Afghans in their army is, in turn, prompting more tips that expose such threats.

The spectacle of suicide bombs notwithstanding, violence is not the rule. Last year, 70 per cent of incidents occurred in 10 per cent of the nearly 400 districts. The commander of our Regional Command East, centred around Jalalabad, reported that more than 90 per cent of Afghans there enjoy a peaceful life; the violence shown by our media does not represent the lives of the vast majority of Afghans.

Instead, the lives of most Afghans are lived peacefully, with increasing access to basic services, the prospect of a representative and responsive government at the local, regional and national levels. The economy rewards honest work, and the possibility of education exists for their children.

Instead of a breeding ground for corruption and terror, their homeland is becoming, ever so slowly, but ever so surely, a nation of stability and dignity with something of value to offer its global neighbours.

Back to the question. There is nothing we do that is worth the life of an individual, but do I think it is important for me to be in Afghanistan and do I think my actions and the actions of other Canadians have made a difference here — the answer is, absolutely yes.

Brigadier General Dennis Tabbernor is deputy commanding general, Combined Security Transition Command-Afghanistan.

Combined Security Transition Command-Afghanistan is not under ISAF, rather it's US-led under Central Command:
http://www.cstc-a.com/mission/CSTC-AFactSheet.html
A military strength of more than 1,000, CSTC-A is under the control of United States Central Command (CENTCOM). Under CSTC-A’s operational control is Task Force Phoenix, with military strength of more than 6,000, responsible for training, mentoring and advising the Afghan National Army and the Afghan National Police.

And note this about Combined Joint Task Force Phoenix:
http://www.taskforcephoenix.com/
CJTF Phoenix mentors ANA and ANP to conduct sustained, independent Counter Insurgency operations in Afghanistan to assist the ANA to defeat terrorism within its borders.

Mark
Ottawa

Brigadier General Dennis Tabbernor's article does not state that CSTC-A is under ISAF command at all.

Ex-Dragoon: NO, but I suspect that most readers will assume it is--which would be the logical thing to do since the CF role under ISAF is all that most of them know about.

Mark
Ottawa

An excellent article. I hope (though doubt) that the MSM will pick it up and publish it.

Rodahn:  It was printed in the Globe and Mail, a pretty mainstream media outlet.

And in less than a month it will be MGen Tabbernor; he's to be promoted and named Chief Reserves and Cadets (last CANFORGEN on the General Officers announced it).

dapaterson said:
Rodahn:  It was printed in the Globe and Mail, a pretty mainstream media outlet.

And in less than a month it will be MGen Tabbernor; he's to be promoted and named Chief Reserves and Cadets (last CANFORGEN on the General Officers announced it).

Thanks for that info data...

Chimo

MarkOttawa said:
Ex-Dragoon: NO, but I suspect that most readers will assume it is--which would be the logical thing to do since the CF role under ISAF is all that most of them know about.

Mark
Ottawa

I'm still having trouble seeing your point with this. 

dapaterson,Rodahn: Unfortunately the piece was online only.

Tango2Bravo: Just thought the organizational arrangement was interesting; this is the official description of OPERATION ARCHER:

Operation ARCHER (Approximately 30 Personnel)

The Canadian contribution to the U.S.-led Operation ENDURING FREEDOM in Afghanistan is known as Operation ARCHER:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=1703

Since the fall of the Taliban in December 2001, the International Community has been rebuilding Afghanistan’s infrastructure, institutions, government, and army. This effort involves more than just supplying weapons and equipment; Canada has contributed to the U.S. led effort to build a security infrastructure that includes operational forces, sustaining institutions, and the general staff and ministries to direct these organizations. The Combined Security Transition Command – Afghanistan (CSTC-A) (formerly the Office of Security Cooperation - Afghanistan) is currently re-forming and building both the Afghan National Army (ANA) and Afghan National Police (ANP). The Canadian Forces currently has Brigadier-General Dennis Tabbernor and other CF personnel with CSTC-A in Kabul.

The CF also contributes 15 personnel to act as instructors involved in the training of the Afghan National Army at the Canadian Afghan National Training Centre Detachment (C ANTC Det) in Kabul.

Mark
Ottawa

MarkOttawa said:
Tango2Bravo: Just thought the organizational arrangement was interesting; this is the official description of OPERATION ARCHER:

Mark,

I've worked under both ISAF and OEF.  I just didn't see how the nuances of command relationships were important in the context of the letter.  Not picking a fight, just wondering what angle you were taking.

Cheers

Tango2Bravo: I guess just alluding to how toxic for much of the Canadian public any public acknowledgment  (none in the excellent article, just in a website few will bother to check) of American connections is:
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2008/04/afghan-national-army-and-canadian.html

See also this post at The Torch, esp. the Update:
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2008/04/marines-in-afstan-globe-and-mail.html

I suppose I'm a bit unhappy at how those connections are swept under the rug by our government.  I may in earlier comments have tried to be too subtle by three quarters.

Mark
Ottawa

Mark, respectfully, what some of us are noting is that your emphasis on the point of coalition relationship appears to somehow imply that such relationships make part of the effort less worthy that those associated directly with ISAF.  Your point about OP ARCHER is not a point, it's a fact.  Why not also mention another fact -- that OP ATHENA is the Canadian involvement as part of ISAF?

I, as are others, am confused by the point you are trying to make.  Intended or not, it appears to somehow denigrate what BGen Tabbenor is speaking to.

2 more ¢

G2G

Good2Golf: No denigration of any sort was meant; sorry if that could be inferred.

Mark
Ottawa

Mark,

If we add the words Global War on Terrorism (GWOT) and NATO into the equation with CSTC-A, ISAF - we get Coalition, soldiers and sacrifice for a good cause. 

Glad he stated that the media shows little truth.  ^-^

Back