• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Boot Ergonomics

T

the patriot

I‘ve noticed that quite a few troops are getting their boots resoled with a flat crepe style sole. Just wondering how these troops are doing with their new boots on route marches etc... Apparently they‘re great if you have back problems. If these soles are so great, why aren‘t the boots coming from the factory this way?!!! Any thoughts on the design and ergonomics for the next generation of combat boots?!

-the patriot- :cdn:

The vibram soles are much easier to run in that‘s for sure. If I had to design a perfect combat boot I‘d take my Danners but somehow increase the drainage on them (if they fill up with water some of it tends to stay there).

Patriot: The next generation combat boot (Cold, Wet weather boot) does in fact have a vibram sole. It gives you less foot problems because of the increased arch support.

I have had vibram soles on my boots for almost 2 years now and i dread the day that i have to give them up. You may not notice the difference right away, but the next time you put on a pair of boots with the solid rubber sole, you will notice a drastic difference. I highly recommend it to anyone.

Patriot;

I believe that the boots you are referring to are a modified standard combat boot with what appears to be a vibram sole.

The individuals that I have addressed that have had this mod done tell me it‘s a as a result of a foot injury and that thay have to have a med chit from the CF to have the mod completed. Costs about $65.00 by a reliable shoemaker.

The variations of foot wear that I have observed in my Regiment is boggling! The preferred boot this summer was the CF desert boot (just like slippers!) though the majority of troopers wore the standard boot (most were straight off of QL3 and didn‘t have an option).

I noticed a signifigant quantity of Armoured personel wearing what looked suspiciously like HiTec law enforcement boots (13 eyelet cordura nylon and leather combos). I couldn‘t get anyone to open up and tell me where they got them so I don‘t know if they were issued to the Zipperheads or just a perk of the unit.

The soldiers of the RCR had the new ‘Tease the Soldier‘ summer/lightweight combat boot which is very popular with the rank and file but as usual they are screwing up the purpose of the things and polishing the crap out of them. If they are to work as designed, they should not be treated with anything but a soft leather soap and warm water to be able to breathe. Kiwi polish destroys that capability. I believe that they are a Danner design or a close clone. Puts some real bounce in the steps of the RCR instead of dragging their butts like ususal (sorry guys! Just couldn‘t resist a cheap shot!) :)

All the Best

Dileas Gu Brath

The new boots are pretty good,but they do require some new SOPs as far as maint. is concerned.As a warm weather boot they perform very well and seem to be as durable as the old leather.

As far as putting spring in one‘s step if ya can keep up come on out :p . (If you can get your butt out of the tech shop that is...)

Tommy Atkins;

When you‘re as old as I am, I ‘m happy just to get it up let alone keeping up! :D

All the Best

Dileas Gu Brath

Rodger That!!!!
:D

I have not tried the new cold weather boots yet but they do show some promise.At least they are better than the hockey pucks issued now.(Nothing worse than ordering marching troops to halt on freshly plowed roads and watching the front 5 files collapse or slide away!!).I heard about a Goretex Muckluc but so far have not run across any.BTW did anyone get issued the OD Green canvas boots??These are not Jungle Boots but an all canvas boot with a Jungle Boot sole,they came out in the ‘80s for a trial period same time as the Canadian DPM Combats were trialed(Combats with the same cam pattern as the SSF Jump Smock).

You can go to your local army cadet unit and order the Couger Magnums for $65 (they‘re authorized for army cadet wear) or go to a retail store and pay around $100. They‘re good for on base cause they‘re light but they don‘t have much in support.

They‘re selling the new issue wet/cold weather boots at the surplus store here in Fredericton. I‘m not too sure that I‘d spend $200 on a pair of boots that are coming through the system. A few guys on Phase 2 this summer used them and I didn‘t hear anything bad about them.

Does anyone know whats going to be the SOP on polishing the new boots? The oil screws over the Gore-tex from what I‘ve heard but I can‘t see the ned of boot polishing.

Probably use Danner "dressing". It‘s a dark purple paste that you rub on then rub the excess off with a cloth. It doesn‘t clog the pores of the Gore-tex but it also doesn‘t fill in major cracks like polish does. For the fabric panels I just use soap and a toothbrush.

I‘ve got a pair of GoreTex Danners ("Go Devils"), but haven‘t been able to find the Danner "dressing" - any suggestions where I can find it (in Toronto)?

Back