• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Complaint (& Response) About CF Recruiting Posters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
....not to mention a Response to the Response at the bottom.

Offensive Canadian Military Posters in Public Places: correspondence with the Minister
Joan Russow, Global Compliance Research Project, PEJnews, 8 Jul 08
Posting link

Recently, citizens have become concerned about large National Defence military recruitment posters lining public transit shelters in Victoria, British Columbia. Apparently, National Defence is posting these propaganda messages in public spaces throughout Canada. These posters are in violation of the Canadian Standards Act.. Enclosed is correspondence with the Hon Peter Mackay, Canadian Minister of Defence.

COMPLAINT SENT TO THE MINISTER OF DEFENCE

Sent: Thursday, 10 April, 2008 13:08
To: +MCU@MCU@Ottawa-Hull
Subject: RE: offensive recruitment posters in transit shelters

The Hon Peter MacKay
Minister of Defence
dnd_mdn@forces.gc.ca

Joan Russow PhD
1230 St. Patrick St.
Victoria, BC V8S 4Y4

April 10, 2008

Dear Minister,

I am writing to express my concern about the plastering of DND recruitment posters in public spaces such as transit shelters.

Recently, citizens have become concerned about large National Defence military recruitment posters lining public transit shelters in Victoria, British Columbia. Apparently, National Defence is posting these propaganda messages in public spaces throughout Canada.

The Jimmy Pattison Group is responsible for the recruitment posters in public spaces such as transit shelters. A representative from the Pattison Group claims that they are abiding by standards created by the Advertising Standards Council of Canada..

Apart from the fact that these posters are probably offensive to Canadians, the majority of whom have been opposed to the belligerent and offensive role played by the Canadian military in Afghanistan, these posters also could be deemed to violate the Canadian Advertising Standards Code.( Social values and Safety). The National Defence recruitment posters appear to be in violation of the following provisions in the Advertising Standards Council's code.

j. Social Values 2
A range of values that are inconsistent with the moral, ethical or legal standards of contemporary Canadian society must not be encouraged or portrayed.

MOST SOCIETY'S VALUES OF CANADIANS ARE INCONSISTENT WITH THE CURRENT BELLIGERENT ROLE THAT CANADA IS PLAYING IN AFGHANISTAN

In 2001, Canada joined the United States in a belligerent action against Afghanistan. The US misrepresented a blatant act of revenge as being justified as an act of self defence under Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations. As a lawyer you would be fully cognizant that this act could not fulfill the criteria of an act of Self defence. At that time the Conservative, Canadian Alliance, and the Liberals failed to act on the appeal by the NDP to respect the Charter of the United Nations by urging the United States to invoke the Chapter VI provision to go to the International Court of Justice. As a result Canada since 2001, Canada has been a belligerent in Afghanistan. There is a fundamental principle of international law that a belligerent on the ground must not be concurrently the "bestower" of reconstruction. Instead Canada should withdraw immediately and with other belligerent states form and international fund for compensation for the damage to Afghanistan. This view is shared by most Canadians and is reflective of the social values of Canada.

i. Safety 2
Adults or children must not be portrayed in clearly unsafe acts or situations except where the message primarily and obviously promotes safety.

MILITARY RECRUITMENT POSTERS PORTRAY ADULTS ENGAGING IN UNSAFE ACTS THAT ARE OBVIOUSLY NOT PROMOTING SAFETY

Given that the Posters violate the Advertising standards, they should be removed immediately.

Yours Sincerely

Joan Russow (PhD)

RESPONSE FROM THE HON PETER MACKAY, MINISTER OF DEFENCE

"dnd_mdn@forces.gc.ca" JULY 7, 2008

Dear Ms Russow

Thank you for your correspondence of April 10, 2008, concerning Department of National Defence/Canadian Forces recruitment advertising posters. Please accept my apology for this delay in responding.

One of the key roles of the Canadian Forces is to defend Canada's values and interests at home and abroad, as well as provide assistance to international security. Canadian Forces members are well respected for their leadership and professionalism.

The provisions you mention from the Interpretation Guidelines of the Canadian Code of Advertising Standards deal specifically with advertising to children. As our recruiting advertisements are addressed to Canadians who are 18 to 34 years old, these provisions do not apply. Even so, we do get approvals through the Television Bureau of Canada before airing television advertisements.

The advertising posters reflect the reality of today's Canadian Forces personnel, who serve our country through a variety of different occupations in the military. Our recruitment objective is to position the Canadian Forces as an employer of choice with over 100 full-time and part-time job opportunities. Throughout the development of these posters, extensive research and testing were conducted with our key audience. This demographic found that these ads portrayed, realistically, the elements that attract them to join the Canadian Forces: leadership, stimulating work experiences, and mental and physical challenges.

I appreciate your taking the time to write, and I trust this information is of assistance.

Sincerely,

Peter G. MacKay
Minister of National Defence

MCU2008-03095

RESPONSE TO THE RESPONSE FROM MINISTER OF DEFENCE

July 8, 2008

Hon Peter G. MacKay
Minister of National Defence

Dear Minister

Thank you for your e-mail response to my request for information.

The problem is that the posters are in bus shelters where they can be seen by children, and for that reason they are in violation of the standards.

Sincerely

JOan Russow ( PhD)
Global Compliance Research Project

I'd bet this wikipedia entry is her . . .  Maybe they give out PhD's in Stuck on Stupidism these days

Joan Elizabeth Russow (Ottawa: November 1, 1938) is a Canadian peace activist and former national leader of the Green Party of Canada from 1997 to 2001.[1][2]

Russow's late partner was David Scott White (Winnipeg: January 20, 1947 – Victoria, B.C.: July 16, 2006) who was the former chair of the Green Party of British Columbia.[3] "White managed Russow's election campaign as leader of the federal Green party, and remained active in the party for the five years of Russow's leadership."[4]

The couple left the party in 2001, disillusioned by, among other factors, the German Green party's support of the NATO attack on Serbia. Russow and White both joined the NDP in 2003 and White continued his work as an activist until his death, most recently researching and writing against Canada's military role in Afghanistan.[4]

Russow received her BA and a Master’s degree in Education from the University of British Columbia.[5] Russow received her Ph.D.[2] from the University of Victoria in Interdisciplinary studies.

Russow is a co-founder of the Ecological Rights Association and the Global Compliance Research Project.[2]

Russow first gained attention in the "Lord's Prayer Case" which resulted in the banning of school prayer in public schools in British Columbia in 1989.[6]

Russow joined the Green Party in 1993 and became leader in 1997.[2] Russow ran for a seat in the Canadian House of Commons in three federal elections; in Victoria in 1997 and 2000, and a federal by-election in Okanagan-Coquihala in September, 2000.[2] She lost all three bids.

She left the Green Party in 2003 to join the New Democratic Party[7] and in 2005 she criticized the Green Party under Jim Harris for moving away from some of its original left-wing principles.[8]

Under the leadership of Russow, policies were developed which promoted social justice, human rights, and peace, as well as the more traditional concerns with environment.

In collaboration with the professors in the Law faculty of the University of Toronto, Russow was the litigant in the Charter challenge of the first-past-the-post electoral system in Canada.[9]

Russow developed a "common Security Index" which was submitted to the Senate Committee on the Anti-Terrorism Act on October 17, 2005.[10]

Russow has been speaking out about the increased militarism in Canada, and also attends civic events and parades where she publicly denounces WWII veterans as warmongers.[11] Her activism currently focuses on: (i) Increased military budget; (ii) increased belligerence in the military invasion and occupation of Afghanistan (iii) increased military exercises involving US nuclear powered vessels and nuclear arms capable vessels and aircraft and using live ammunition; (iv) increased military recruitment ads on television and buses, in "Navy days" with booths, and in schools; (v) increased mining and production of uranium, including the contribution to US ad NATO weapon systems; (vii) increased military flights overhead and participation in community events and parades.[12]

In March 2007, Russow lobbied state delegations in the UN General Assembly to invoke Article 22 of the Charter of the United Nations to set up an international tribunal to try the Bush regime. On March 8, 2007, the petition, in the six official languages was submitted to the office of the President of the UN General Assembly.[13]

The "Global Compliance Research Project" has 1910 hits in Google, but none seem to actually explain who or what this organization is.  Perhaps it is just a label for a few vocal opposers of things they don't like.

From http://canesi.org/Engl/xmovebeyond.html -

Joan Russow (PhD) Global Compliance Research Project, Former Federal Leader of the Green Party of Canada

I applaud the MND's office for responding and defending themselves.  However I feel the response was not accurate.  It should read:

Dear Hippie with too much time on her hands,

Shove it

Thank you for your interest in the Canadian Armed Forces

:CDN :How can one assume that an advertisement by the Canadian Government to make all Canadians aware of the careers and employment available for the young generation to participate in the defence of this great country is in any way offensive in its message.The  fact that one can criticize the operation of government is because soldiers of this country gave their time and in many cases their lives to support this idea

Michael O`Leary said:
The "Global Compliance Research Project" has 1910 hits in Google, but none seem to actually explain who or what this organization is.

Just found this tidbit, which still doesn't, really, say much, does it?
http://www.peace.ca/whoswhoworlddg.htm (mid page)
Global Compliance Research Project - CITIZENS' PUBLIC TRUST TREATY, A TREATY OF ETHICS, EQUITY AND ECOLOGY, A PROPOSED United Nations General Assembly Resolution, to be circulated to governments by their citizens. Joan Russow (Ph.D.): Co-ordinator, 1230 St. Patrick St. Victoria, B.C. V8S 4Y4 Tel/Fax (250) 598-0071. e-mail: jrussow@coastnet.com ; web copy of proposed resolution: http://www.gn.apc.org/negreens/cptt.htm

Ah, a little more, at an anti-nuclear web page
http://members.shaw.ca/shunlunn/nuclear.htm
Joan Russow of Victoria is with the Global Compliance Research Project, which monitors governments' compliance with international law.

PhD in what? Flower power and pot smoking, must be a Berkley graduate.

Why doesn't she complain about the underwear ads, billboards and posters with nearly nude models pasted on the sides of city buses and other very public places, because I'm sure children see these also. And while we're at it, why don't we get rid of cartoons that depict violence, "Saturday morning cartoons" which most children still watch. ::)

Get a life! "Bimbo"

retiredgrunt45 said:
PhD in what? Flower power and pot smoking, must be a Berkley graduate.

Ow come on now ... I'm thinking of attending her UVic institution in the "Women's Studies" program. Perhaps I'll get to meet this fine lady!!  >:D

It is people like her and the idiot that had the Canadian  flag upside down on Canada day (in Halifax)  that makes me frustrated. For all of thier education, they do not seem to know alot about history. It seems like every time Canada does not spend money on our military and ask for recruits, it is the time when a major war starts. This is a simplistic answer  but it is late and I don't feel like telling everyone here the things that I know you all know.

Damned if you damned if you don't.

If they were taken down, the DND would probably be accused of misleading new recruits by these same people.

I sent her a email.  Summed it up by telling her Radical Islam doesn't allow women to be teachers let alone doctors.

Dear friends,

To sum up, the woman is a nutter!

OWDU

The problem is that the posters are in bus shelters where they can be seen by children, and for that reason they are in violation of the standards.

WTF, OVER.  ???

There are alcohol ads in the same shelters, go complain that these ads don't reflect being in a drunken stupor AND that they are visible to children.

Some people are useless.

This woman is one of them.

Well, according to the wiki on her, as accurate as it may be:

Russow has been speaking out about the increased militarism in Canada, and also attends civic events and parades where she publicly denounces WWII veterans as warmongers.[11] Her activism currently focuses on: (i) Increased military budget; (ii) increased belligerence in the military invasion and occupation of Afghanistan (iii) increased military exercises involving US nuclear powered vessels and nuclear arms capable vessels and aircraft and using live ammunition; (iv) increased military recruitment ads on television and buses, in "Navy days" with booths, and in schools; (v) increased mining and production of uranium, including the contribution to US ad NATO weapon systems; (vii) increased military flights overhead and participation in community events and parades.[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Russow

Unfortunately, the reference on the bolded section isn't online, so I can't confirm. So, I'm gonna agree with good Overwatch.

Nutter. Nutter with an anti-military bee in her bonnet

So she got a degree with no specialty?

http://www.canadian-universities.net/Universities/Programs/Interdisciplinary_Studies.html
"Interdisciplinary studies, like liberal arts or general studies degrees, are comprised of courses from various disciplines rather than one or two specific disciplines. On occasion, these disciplines may be drawn from different faculties (arts and health sciences, for example) as well as different departments within one faculty. The best interdisciplinary programs seek to create new connections between areas of study, rearranging knowledge, thought and methodology into new configurations."

Oh she has a speciality I think.  UFO sightings.

2110-301-603.jpg

She seems like a wing nut with too much time on her hands and some kind of messed up grudge against those who give her the rights and freedoms to be a wing nut in the first place. 

Personally, I see two options here... and these is just my opinions;

1) Just ignore her and maybe she'll just dry up and blow away...  Since she seems to be an attention wh0re, this may be the best option.

or

2) Round up her and all those like her (including Taliban Jack), toss them in a sea can and drop it in the middle of Afghanistan... preferably Helmand or the rougher areas of Kandahar... then they'll have a keener understanding of who the "belligerent" ones are over there. 
Oh.. yeah... give them a radio too... with a direct line to the CF over there. And when they call for help, and they will, just tell them they won and the Canadian Army doesn't exist anymore, so they have to fend for themselves.

Normally I'd get angry about the sheer stupidity of this person, but I see no point.  I figure she's dumb enough to remover herself from the gene pool sooner rather than later...  which just means more food for me.

Larry Strong said:
Another prime example  of why we should have post birth abortions

Heh... a 120th Trimester abortion.  >:D

As much as it seems wrong, as I've said before; more food for me.  Consider it thinning the herd... Like a cull on stupid/ignorant people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back