• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Component Transfer from NWO to INTO while in Royal Military College. Should i VR and Reapply? need advice

I am a Naval Warfare Officer recently transferred from reserves into RMC. I want to transfer to Intelligence officer. I think it fits my skillset and career plan.

The ultimate plan is to work out of Halifax or near the east coast where I'm from. I find NWO is going to be difficult because I want to support a relationship and have a life.

So now I've got 4 years to get this transfer done, I can't get it filed until I finish BMOQ part 2 this summer. What are my chances to get this done?

NWO is no longer marked as in demand which may work in my favour and I think I can do well on a merit list for INTO however, I've heard it ranges from difficult to impossible to get in.

Should I VR and Reapply? Maybe I can get UNI done and go back to my old reserve unit. IDK?

I'm not sure I want to be locked in the ROTP contract if I'm just going to get forced to do stuff as an NWO with no chance to get into the trade I want.

Does anyone have advice?
Never ever VR and reapply. That is the road of pain, and you run a good chance of things not working out to get back in. Particulary if you already are at RMC, just get through it and get your degree.

First if you plan to live and work in Halifax as INT that's likely not going to happen. Not to many INT jobs out there.
Second plenty of NWO's have a life and support relationships. I get it if going to sea isn't for you, and you're worried about how much time you'll be away from home, but welcome to the military. You'll be away from home no matter the trade. You'll have to find a way to deal with that.

Thirdly you can also transfer to an NCM trade if you feel like RMC isn't your thing. That opens up a whole slew of options that are really interesting. Don't discount a great career as an NCM.

Until the Navy fixes its crewing issues and corrects both retention and recruitment, there will be a heavier load carried by those who are able.
I guess the plus side here is he's in school, so won't be part of the current death spiral.

IntOs only get attached for deployments anyway, so they miss all the TRP stuff. The guys I know that wanted to deploy kept pretty busy, and when there were experienced IntOs volunteering they were able to do a six month on, six month on rotation in basically every other deployment. Pretty ideal really if you want to do the fun stuff and miss the suck that builds up to it..

Never ever VR and reapply. That is the road of pain, and you run a good chance of things not working out to get back in. Particulary if you already are at RMC, just get through it and get your degree.

First if you plan to live and work in Halifax as INT that's likely not going to happen. Not to many INT jobs out there.
Second plenty of NWO's have a life and support relationships. I get it if going to sea isn't for you, and you're worried about how much time you'll be away from home, but welcome to the military. You'll be away from home no matter the trade. You'll have to find a way to deal with that.

Thirdly you can also transfer to an NCM trade if you feel like RMC isn't your thing. That opens up a whole slew of options that are really interesting. Don't discount a great career as an NCM.
I suppose you are right, I shouldn't be overreacting and in any case, ill manage as everyone else does. I'll go forward with the plan to VOT, work on things here and hope for the best. Thanks, everyone for the input there are a lot of us here at RMC and CMR who feel completely in the dark about career progression. Being able to talk to people who know what its like and have experience is really great. I am very Thankful.

I suppose you are right, I shouldn't be overreacting and in any case, ill manage as everyone else does. I'll go forward with the plan to VOT, work on things here and hope for the best. Thanks, everyone for the input there are a lot of us here at RMC and CMR who feel completely in the dark about career progression. Being able to talk to people who know what its like and have experience is really great. I am very Thankful.
If you get IntO, there is the Joint Meteorological Centre in Gagetown as a posting option. I don't think any navy IntOs have gone there yet, but it is part of CFINT GP, so there is no real reason one can't get posted there.

If you get IntO, there is the Joint Meteorological Centre in Gagetown as a posting option. I don't think any navy IntOs have gone there yet, but it is part of CFINT GP, so there is no real reason one can't get posted there.
That sounds more like a threat than anything else :sneaky:

Mr Flatfish,

If I may, I assume you are young, healthy and fit. You have a reasonable chance to live to 100 years old. You might expect to work for 50 or 60 of those years in many different careers.

My advice (costing nothing and worth nothing) is to live while you are young. Travel the world. Do lots of things. Challenge yourself. Figure out what you want to do. It seems like you have given up on NWO because you will be away a lot. I joined the Navy for that specific reason. Travelling by ship is a magnificent way to broaden your horizons and see how much of the world lives. It will likely be life-changing for you. Don't miss this opportunity.

Do not waste your youth jumping at some safe job where you sit in a cubicle. There is lots of time in your life for that.

Mr Flatfish,

If I may, I assume you are young, healthy and fit. You have a reasonable chance to live to 100 years old. You might expect to work for 50 or 60 of those years in many different careers.

My advice (costing nothing and worth nothing) is to live while you are young. Travel the world. Do lots of things. Challenge yourself. Figure out what you want to do. It seems like you have given up on NWO because you will be away a lot. I joined the Navy for that specific reason. Travelling by ship is a magnificent way to broaden your horizons and see how much of the world lives. It will likely be life-changing for you. Don't miss this opportunity.

Do not waste your youth jumping at some safe job where you sit in a cubicle. There is lots of time in your life for that.
@Flatfish

To add, working in NDHQ, there are staff postings should you decide not to want to sail after your first few tours. I see NWOs doing non-NWO jobs all the time. Not all NWOs are constantly at sea.

Another thing to think about - if you hadn't met this person, what would you have done? Would you have wanted lots of deployments or not? Obviously meeting someone and starting a relationship is a good thing but especially at your age, don't define what you want by that (presumably early stage) relationship. You don't want to be that bitter Lt(N) wishing you had deployed and got the experience (and medals), but didn't because you didn't want to be too far from your SO.

Again, if this is what you had wanted prior to meeting her, this is something you should lay out in the open right now.

I'll certainly take that into account, thanks again and yes your advice is worth a lot to me, and I think you are right.

I feel like I will fit better in intelligence nonetheless, the competition is tough and some people say there is no chance of getting in but I think I have several years so I'm sure there will be an opportunity for me. If it doesn't come through I will follow through with being an NWO and do the best I can. My girl is amazing and is willing to work with me on that no matter what happens, I am very lucky. We've talked a bit more and shell be done with studying soon and is willing to move hopefully were able to find a way where we both can be close and she can get a good job too. So besides Halifax being a cool base, I suppose there's not as much of a push to go there if we can make it work somewhere else

I suppose I'm just very worried about the future and my ability to spend time with her. I get I've engaged with the forces and it must be one of my priorities in life if I want to live up to that but at the same time, I think it's good for one's whole life to be defined by their job.

In any case, I should be grateful that I'm looking at good opportunities all around and more options later rather than now. The CAF has some amazing opportunities and from what I've seen of regular CAF work life and culture it's pretty good (maybe that was just a small chill reserve base in PEI but the man working there was awesome).

I probably should also worry less about stuff I think little work out. I know I have lots of years still left to do things but I miss her a lot too and shes is worth not progressing as fast in my career or doing mostly admin work I don't mind paperwork it's not like I'm giving up my dreams. I also genuinely think ill like Intell more. I don't feel like I would begrudge someone their medals and earnings if I chose a different path. Idk I'm young maybe i don't have a good perspective of things or expectations. I don't really have anything more to say, thanks all again.

outsider looking in.
With the way the military seems to operate these days, man power shortages and leaner budgets and doing more with less.

No matter what trade you in NCM , NCO, or Officer, never expect to be posted to where you want to serve and live at. No matter the trade, as a Navy Person, you could end up on either coast, could end up at sea more often than you want but that comes with putting on that uniform.
Hard core army green trades, you can end up almost anywhere as army trades seem to be in demand. Airforce seems to be every where.

Once you sign the paper and the sooner you realize your service is not going to run with your social schedule and life style the better.
Since you are in RMC , guessing you are between 19 and 21 years old. A lot can change in the course of your schooling, relationships end, new one start, or you get the golden horse shoe package and you get the wedding the College Chapel. Changing a career or hoping to change it in your first year is jumping the gun, get settled in to the school routine, let her get settled into her school routine. Worry more about your grades and the assignments. You have a big first year ahead of you, get it done and get some military training course packed away. Then take the time to take a deep breath and look at preplanning your future career and family life.
good luck, and remember not all trades as fun and interesting as they make it look on tv shows.

good luck, and remember not all trades as fun and interesting as they make it look on tv shows.

Except Airborne Infantry, of course ;)

c130 paratroopers GIF

Back