• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Component Transfer with time out but no credit for previous rank pay scale

acmisch28

Inactive
Reaction score
My quest has been to find the reference that states that a member who was out for less than 10 yrs and their rank is no greater than Cpl level 4 (uncontrolled rank) pay Qualifies that member that pay in the new trade despite not being qualified yet in trade.

Does anyone have any known reference for this?????

old written down references were :

1) Chap 204 , 204.015
2)www.forces.gc.ca/hr/instractions/engraph/0705_admhrmil_e.asp ( reference not found )
3) CF MIL PERS INSTR 03/08 CT

Last edited:
Contact DSCS, part of the Corporate Secretary (a sort-of DND level 1 organization), and request the prior versions of the regulations or policy documents in question.

Do you mean a former member that is not, or is no longer, on the supplemental reserve list?

It is not a Component Transfer (CT) if one is not a member of the Canadian Forces.

Do you mean a former member that is not, or is no longer, on the supplemental reserve list?

It is not a Component Transfer (CT) if one is not a member of the Canadian Forces.

Correct, was a former member Res. reared up Reg 9 yrs later. The CT seems to be the only ref that can be found that references to rank protection when a member changes trades. I am not finding the Ref that did describe member that had a break in service for a period and the Ref did state limits of time >5 or >10 and what qualifies or disqualifies you. Original ref's I had found before rearing up no longer found in any of my searches. The CoC in Fin cells i've inquired to over the past 7 yrs have all advised old Ref were revised and or doesn't exist and or that the old ref no longer applies. Looking to find references to show that I was entitled based on the QR & O at that time. At that time CAF advised they had no record i was in the CAF Reg or Res and that hindered addressing this in the beginning until I was able to prove I did serve. Its has been a hunt for this elusive unicorn reference to which I have not been successful.

Last edited:
Well, the current policy is found in CBI 204:

204.015(4) (Exception) Qualifying service for pay increments does not include:

1. any service prior to a continuous interruption of more than five years during which no service designated in paragraph (2) was performed, unless the member during the period of the interruption has maintained relevant skills or qualifications considered by the Chief of the Defence Staff, or any officer designated by the Chief of the Defence Staff, to be of military value;

how about this as a kicker on under that topic. there is No official release documents that states i was officially released. my quest to verify that I did serve in the CAF Res lead to a phone call to a Maj Gen in Ottawa which took place in 2011, 4 yrs after enrollment into the Reg. 6 months after that phone call lead to a small but verified bundle of doc's delivered to me that showed I did serve for 6 yrs and that no official release doc from the Res was found. email correspondences included in this bundle of doc which included old and new records did state their may be some liability on the Mil side due to the missing Doc that states i was never officially released from the Res

First, I will assume you were Army Reserve, where admin is often poorly done (if at all). Second, the "no service rendered" clause referred to above would still apply if you were not properly released, as you had no paid service during the period where you reasonably expected that you had been released from the CAF.

Finally, I strongly recommend you get the question of your release / non-release from the P Res resolved. Depending on when you enrolled in the Reg F and whether it must now be retroactively deemed a Component Transfer there may be implications for pension, including the maximum percentage you will be able to accumulate (different terms apply depending on when you entered the pension plan). On the other hand, if you were never legally released, it would mean that despite not being paid during that time period, and presumably also not being declared "non-effective strength", that the whole of the time from your enrolment in the P Res through early 2012 may be eligible for consideration for CAF severance pay under CBI 204.40.

Your situation is complex. It will likely require some detailed review at both the Director General, Military Careers and Director General, Compensation and Benefits to sort out the implications.

You may be in favourable
position without the official release.

I was at 39 CBG in Vancouver shortly, and a fellow was “released” in 2009 or so, but paperwork was never submitted/finalized.

They were going to charge him im 2013 for unreturned kit, which still was in the locker :):):
He came back in 2013 to sign it and empty his locker and got Severance pay for the ghost time in PRes.

Lol, find official way to confirm your non-release and do the post dated release + Severance pay!!!

btw, Severance is a week pay per year service at rank upon release, up to Feb 2012...

GL post when you get some solid answers please, makes a good story :)

Back