• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cornwallis Vs. St Jean

Jimmy = slang for Signaller.

Just like:
Thumper head= Engineer
Pongo=Infantry
Zipper head=Armoured

Nfld_Sapper said:
Jimmy = slang for Signaller.

Just like:
Thumper head= Engineer
Pongo=Infantry
Zipper head=Armoured
Actually.......Zipperhead is a Strathcona (spit). 

"While on my SLT/French training back in 1995 (during the Great Referendum period), I witnessed a nap time that replaced a recruit PT session.  The recruits did not leave the Mega at all until the Farnham week.  Shortly after I departed from my SLT my course, a very overweight recruit suffered a heart-attack during a physical activity.  The Sch Comdt (who was R22eR) at the time took a lot of heat for pushing recruits, standards began to fall and subsequent courses we put through at RCA BSL began to tell tales of naps and stress "cards"/hand raising requesting a time-out.  The "Urban Legend" and anecdotes go back that far - more than a decade."

- I was a Pl Comd in St Jean 96-97, and a SLC/BOTC Instructor 98-99.  No time-out, no cards, and if they didn't leave the Mega until Week 9 (of an 8 week course at the time), how did they march 600 meters to the Drill Hall every day to learn the Drill they needed for the Grad Parade with open and close order march on the march past in line in slow time?

I still have my Pl nominal rolls, with red lines through the up to 50% of the 'cruits released or recoursed from each serial in St Jean.  I also taught in Cornwallis 84-86, so i know the strengths and weaknesses of both places.

TCBF said - "If they didn't leave the Mega until Week 9 (of an 8 week course at the time), how did they march 600 meters to the Drill Hall every day to learn the Drill they needed for the Grad Parade with open and close order march on the march past in line in slow time?" 

I stand corrected other than marching those 600 m to the drill hall, they did not leave the Mega vicinity (i.e., no outdoor PT).  I am not sure to what you are making ref to with "week 9 of 8" - I made ref to Farnham week??

I went through Cornwallis for BOTC with 136 other OCdts in summer 1983.  There were approx. 15 recuit platoons plus summer Sea Puppy camp - the Base/facilities were packed.  So I can speak concerning Cornwallis from the perspective as a student and a Coy Comd.

BOTC in Cornwallis was a lot different than what others experienced in Borden or Chilliwack.

Herbie = Gunner 
Zipperhead has been used to ref to RCD and 8CH as well as LdSH.

Yes, Zipperhead has been used to refer as a "generalization" to all Armour Corps, but we all know that gereralizations are often wrong.  ;D

"Yes, Zipperhead has been used to refer as a "generalization" to all Armour Corps, but we all know that gereralizations are often wrong.'

- Yup.  So is spitting, George. (AHEM....).

Ah..St-Jean.. I can assure you that pre mega recruits were as polished as the Cornwallis ones. In my platoon we were at least 100 plus and were divided into 2  courses in the winter of 1974 and trust me on this there was Pt plenty of it. Our instructors were mostly R22er ans some drop shorts it was a reality check for sure FN's flying everywhere and numerous objects exiting windows on both levels of the old huts. Farnham was no treat as well plenty of physical contact from the instructors if you were a slacker you bloody well knew about it. On completion of basic I found I was well prepared for trades training and along with my Cornwallis counterparts we did very well. There were the normal jabs as to what school was harder but it was determined they were equal in standards at that time. My opinion was they took your mother away from you and replaced her with a SGT and he taught you how to be a man in very short order. To be honest trades training was harder than boot camp by a long shot that SGT became your nightmare no matter what school you were from it ended the same way.

Dare to tell the truth..

I would have loved either of them in 92!
Did my course in a mod tent from June till mid august in the mattawa.
Cot and the fart sack was our beds, started QL2, weekend off to move our stuff to another mod, then start QL3, after that, then a two week CAC!
1 weekend off for the whole time I was there!
Ran every morning on the beach, then we did a web march on the beach and guess where we did the ruck march........on the beach!
Along with all the other jazz, had a good time.

Mud Recce Man said:
I thought they called that "character building".

On my course it was "attitude adjusting". Never saw anyone beaten, but did see a few black and blue recruits.

I went to CFRS Cornwallis in '79, and I never saw or heard of any recruit getting even a boot in the arse, let alone a beating.  All a big load of bulldookie.... The army ain't what it used to be, and never was.

OK, OK the beatings part is a joke.... see the happy face after my comment. It's just a shot (rubber harpoon) at the newer guys/girls  going through St. Jean to say that of course, we who graduated from Cornwallis had it harder.

And we did :)

I am not allowed to talk about the beetings ever again.

My reply wasn't directed at you, as I noticed your little smiley guy thingy.  I did see black and blue recruits, mostly the fingers of guys caught thieving.  Any bruises I saw were handed out by other 'cruits to the non-hackers and crap magnets that dragged a whole squad or platoon down.

Kat,
Understood, no hard feeling, just clarifying my post....Things like that surely did happen and to this day no matter where you do basic, I think it still happens. But that is a whole other can of worms.

I remember during Basic (Corwallis) and Battle School (Petawawa) people being sorted out. Most of the time, no hard feelings and very little damage done. (physically).

Later

Back