• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cost of Australian combat soldier's kit soars to $27,700

yoman said:
Plus 100-150$ or so for boots.

So it's probably closer to 700$.

So $700 so I can walk into my operational HQ, look all "operational", and sit in my cubicle?  Excellent.  And I don't even get to wear my much sought after Yukon cap.  :(

PAdm said:
So $700 so I can walk into my operational HQ, look all "operational", and sit in my cubicle?  Excellent.  And I don't even get to wear my much sought after Yukon cap.  :(

Correct me if I am wrong, cbt shirt and cbt pants cost a little bit more then that, you have to remember they are coated with a special chemical to prevent them giving off heat.  I would say a cbt shirt and pair of cbt pants are closer to the $150 to $200 dollar range.  So you are sitting in Cubicle for about a $1000 not $700  ;D

RoyalDrew said:
Totally agree but I don't think we should compare what people wore 20 years ago to what people are wearing today, technology in synthetic materials have advanced at such a rapid rate that it is not even comparable. 
What I mean to say is that 20 years ago what I wore in the field was just webbing, which is pretty much being naked.  Technology marches on and there's things out there now like "Dragon Skin".  20 years from now?  Who knows.?

As for the boots.  My last tour I went to the Brit NAFI and bought some excellent German made boots as the Cdn issued ones were garbage foot wreckers.  They tore the shyte out of the back of my feet and tendon areas.  It's a shame as when the system does get it right, it's brilliant.  Wish they were more successful, more often.

It's all perspective... yes, the government over pays for a lot of this stuff, but even at that, $27000 still isn't an out-rageous amount, it's only a lot when you're looking at it from the point of view of paying for it, out of pocket, all at once, making $50 000 per year...

Consider what I wear at my civillian job (More or less an industrial electrician), it's not camoflauged, but most if it's fire retardent, so it's still not cheap.

1 x Fire Retardent Shirt $70
1x Fire Retardent Pants $70
1x Fire Retardent Coveralls $100
1x T-Shirt $10
1x Safety Boots $100
1x Safety glasses $5
1x Ear Plugs $5

We're up to $360 and I'm just asleep in the work shop, haven't even done anything useful yet.

Now let's go outside when it's cold.

1x Fire Retardent sweatshit $180
1x Fire retardent toque $20
1x leather work gloves $10

That's $570, and it's not that cold, and I haven't added any special PPE yet. It's just the cost of doing business.

Now let's go outside and put on the same clothes as the above garrison troop and shop at walmart...

Pants $30
Dress Shirt - $20
T-Shirt - $5
Boots - $60
Socks - $1
Boxes - $4
Water Proof Breathable Jacket - $120
Toque - $10
Waterproof Breathable Gloves - $60

We're up to $310, and we've only got one hat, and no buttons and bows, plus we bought cheap crap at walmart.

If we're including the cost of a rifle, a C7 with optic and EIS is what, $3000?

$27 000 is pretty reasonable for a fully kitted soldier.

RoyalDrew said:
Correct me if I am wrong, cbt shirt and cbt pants cost a little bit more then that, you have to remember they are coated with a special chemical to prevent them giving off heat.  I would say a cbt shirt and pair of cbt pants are closer to the $150 to $200 dollar range.  So you are sitting in Cubicle for about a $1000 not $700  ;D

Maybe that qualifies me for a bigger cubicle..  :D

PAdm said:
Maybe that qualifies me for a bigger cubicle..  :D

Wear your parka and bib overalls, maybe they'll give you an office :)

a Sig Op said:
It's all perspective... yes, the government over pays for a lot of this stuff, but even at that, $27000 still isn't an out-rageous amount, it's only a lot when you're looking at it from the point of view of paying for it, out of pocket, all at once, making $50 000 per year...

Consider what I wear at my civillian job (More or less an industrial electrician), it's not camoflauged, but most if it's fire retardent, so it's still not cheap.

1 x Fire Retardent Shirt $70
1x Fire Retardent Pants $70
1x Fire Retardent Coveralls $100
1x T-Shirt $10
1x Safety Boots $100
1x Safety glasses $5
1x Eat Plugs $5

We're up to $360 and I'm just asleep in the work shop, haven't even done anything useful yet.

Now let's go outside when it's cold.

1x Fire Retardent sweatshit $180
1x Fire retardent toque $20
1x leather work gloves $10

That's $570, and it's not that cold, and I haven't added any special PPE yet. It's just the cost of doing business.

Now let's go outside and put on the same clothes as the above garrison troop and shop at walmart...

Pants $30
Dress Shirt - $20
T-Shirt - $5
Boots - $60
Socks - $1
Boxes - $4
Water Proof Breathable Jacket - $120
Toque - $10
Waterproof Breathable Gloves - $60

We're up to $310, and we've only got one hat, and no buttons and bows, plus we bought cheap crap at walmart.

If we're including the cost of a rifle, a C7 with optic and EIS is what, $3000?

$27 000 is pretty reasonable for a fully kitted soldier.

Absolutely, I was more making the comparison that mayb our $27,000 isn't going as far as Australia's $27,000.  Ref: Tac Vest, how much does one of those things cost?  I would prefer webbing to it TBH, over on Cambrian the Brits were laughing at us asking us why the Army issued us a fishing vest  ;D

Here's an estimate of how much our DEU uniform costs us on a cold day:

Peaked Cap:              52$
Long Sleeve Shirt:      21$
Tie:                              5$
Sweater:                    76$
Pants:                          44$
Socks:                          3$
Oxfords:                      100$
Gloves:                        24$
Boxers:                        4$
Rank Slip On's:            10$
Gortex Jacket:            200$
Belt:                            7$

Total:                          546$

It's more than I thought it would cost.

Note: Figures we're obtained from Logistics as much as possible and were based on a naval uniform.

yoman said:
Here's an estimate of how much our DEU uniform costs us on a cold day:

Peaked Cap:              52$
Long Sleeve Shirt:      21$
Tie:                              5$
Sweater:                    76$
Pants:                          44$
Socks:                          3$
Oxfords:                      100$
Gloves:                        24$
Boxers:                        4$
Rank Slip On's:            10$
Gortex Jacket:            200$

Total:                          539$

It's more than I thought it would cost.

Note: Figures we're obtained from Logistics as much as possible and were based on a naval uniform.

I would have lost this bet. I know cadpat on a cold day will be much more, but DEU is still more than I thought. But looking at the list, it is cheaper than a business person who dons a suit, dress shoes, etc.  Clearly it is expensive to have any "uniform". 

Serving your country ... PRICELESS!

For everything else there is MasterCard ®

Garrison clothing can be done much cheaper and the current costs and complexity of Combat gear makes it an attractive option. Plus it gives something other than Tac vests for the OCD RSM's to occupy themselves with...

Back