• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CPC Leadership Potentials if Scheer Implodes

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Chris Pook said:
Interesting comment.

Is that indeed the view in the Liberal East?  Out here in Conservative Lethbridge we don't get that kind of scuttlebutt.

Well who would be his successor? Let’s say he gets defeated next election.  No way he stays on.  Who would replace him?  Who might? It is becoming closer to reality with this latest scandal.  It’s not just a liberal view but a political view regardless of your stripe.  She’s one of his stronger ministers heading one of the more important portfolios. 

if Scheer loses the election who might succeed him? It isn’t a partisan question.

Remius said:
if Scheer loses the election who might succeed him? It isn’t a partisan question.

There's a bunch in the shadow cabinet that could do it, and Peter McKay has kept his foot in the water via political commentary.

PuckChaser said:
There's a bunch in the shadow cabinet that could do it, and Peter McKay has kept his foot in the water via political commentary.

My thoughts exactly.  But if scheer wins or holds the Liberals to a minority that door will close for good likely. 

We screwed our self out of Rona Ambrose.  I have no doubt she would have beat JT, Telford and Butts.

Remius said:
My thoughts exactly.  But if scheer wins or holds the Liberals to a minority that door will close for good likely.

Honestly I thought if Scheer held the Libs to a minority, he'd get another shot... he may still, but it would be a mistake for the CPC. While an election is still a long ways away, if he can't beat Trudeau given the past 3.5 years + this current scandal + Norman affair which will still be nice and fresh come October, then why bother letting him lead the party into another election... the Liberals are literally beating themselves, jumping up and down on their own plumbing, and there are still major doubts about whether or not they win again.

Most of the big names stayed out of the last CPC race because they thought Trudeau would be at least a two-term PM.... they've been proven wrong, and if Scheer isn't the PM after the next election, those folks will be out for blood. I'd guess Peter McKay and Rona Ambrose would throw their names in the ring for sure.

An Ambrose, McKay combo would be deadly.  Not sure either would be willing to play second fiddle though...

ballz said:
Most of the big names stayed out of the last CPC race because they thought Trudeau would be at least a two-term PM.... they've been proven wrong,

Not yet.  But the LPC has a chink in their armour now.

Remius said:

The chink in their armour has always been there, people are now just waking up. This is still the Sponsorship/Adscam/HRDC Boondoggle party from the 1990s.

Remius said:

You're right, I worded that stupidly. It's purely speculating on my part on a "what if" but if the CPC had even half a leader this election would be in the bag. What I mean to communicate is, those who didn't run because they thought Trudeau would get at least two terms are probably thinking "FFS, I should have ran..." right about now.

EDIT to add:

If Ambrose did this on purpose, she's a political genius. Coming in as interim leader, all she needed to do was keep the ship straight and she'd look like a winner. She did a great job of that, and walked away.... probably thinking like many that Trudeau would need at least 2 elections to defeat. She could now walk back in as the hero who came back to save the party and form government.

I'd be less cracked up about McKay. I sure don't forget how out of touch he became to the point that he was making stupid, boneheaded decisions essentially out of hubris.

Attachments

• mckay.jpg
    mckay.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 253
ballz said:
You're right, I worded that stupidly. It's purely speculating on my part on a "what if" but if the CPC had even half a leader this election would be in the bag. What I mean to communicate is, those who didn't run because they thought Trudeau would get at least two terms are probably thinking "FFS, I should have ran..." right about now.

Totally agree.

Ambrose would knock it out of the park.  CPC just needs to figure out how Scheer can gracefully take a knee.

Good2Golf said:
Ambrose would knock it out of the park.  CPC just needs to figure out how Scheer can gracefully take a knee.

Or Michelle Rempel, or Candice Bergen.

Sir_Spams_a_lot said:
Or Michelle Rempel, or Candice Bergen.

Both excellent MPs and would great ministers, I suspect.  But I, like others,  think Ambrose is the best the CPC has.

I subscribed to Michelle Rempel's Youtube channel some time ago, and am very impressed by her passion, energy, determination, and quick-thinking.

Any one of those three women, though, would be most excellent.

Good2Golf said:

I haven't been following since Ambrose left as interim leader, but wasn't there something about her not being able to run?  Or was it that she couldn't run right after becoming interim leader?

As I recall at the time, the interim leader could not run for leader.

Old Sweat said:
As I recall at the time, the interim leader could not run for leader.
  :nod: 

Ambrose, Rempel, Bergen, Riatt (in my descending order of capability) all show that genuine, non-jingoistic, capable women can represent a very valid and worthy flavour of modern feminism that doesn’t smell of mansplaining, pandering and virtue-signaling hollow feminism.

I truly wish something develops on the CPC side of the House for Rona to return to the leadership position she held so capably.

Regards
G2G

Not sure why we're completely writing off Scheer. More and more polls are showing statistical tie or Conservative lead, including the latest from Campaign Research: https://www.hilltimes.com/2019/02/15/conservatives-overtake-liberals-lead-snc-lavalin-affair-threatens-imperil-trudeaus-re-election-bid-poll-suggests/189118 which gives the Tories a 5 point lead.

Last year the Tories out fundraised the Liberals in every quarter, so Trudeau won't drop the writ until the very last moment so he can capitalize on third party support outside the writ. If the snowball that is SNC-Lavalin keeps rolling downhill, Scheer could conceivably ride a similar wave as Doug Ford into power: You run a Figure 11 target that's not Liberal as your leader and you win. The NDP are a non-factor right now, and really will only chip away at Liberal votes anyways should they see a resurgence when they finally have a leader in the Commons.

PuckChaser said:
You run a Figure 11 target that's not Liberal as your leader and you win.

That's why everyone is writing off Scheer, because even a figure 11 could do a better job.

He may manage to win the next election... through absolutely nothing but Scheer dumb luck (pun intended).... but if he doesn't, I can't see how the CPC can keep him given that even a Figure 11 could beat Trudeau. That's where this conversation sort of started.

Good2Golf said:
  :nod: 

Ambrose, Rempel, Bergen, Riatt (in my descending order of capability) all show that genuine, non-jingoistic, capable women can represent a very valid and worthy flavour of modern feminism that doesn’t smell of mansplaining, pandering and virtue-signaling hollow feminism.

I truly wish something develops on the CPC side of the House for Rona to return to the leadership position she held so capably.

Regards
G2G

I have a lot of respect for her.  If she were to run, I would be knocking on doors for her.

Back