• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dazzle camouflage on HMCS Regina and HMCS Moncton

Modern paint technology is what allows the large commercial vessels to last long enough to pay off the cost of construction. I remember that IR paint we had on the trucks, we had no way to reapply it. Of course the varsol and oil treatment we gave the trucks and guns likley was not good for us either.

George Wallace said:
But there are Visual/Thermal/electronic means to reduce, even hide, their signatures.

Then again, in "peacetime" it seems the CF has skimped on paint in all Branches.  How many Land Fighting Vehicles have a Cam Pattern today?

There's a good argument for having no cam on our clothing or equipment.

If nothing else, you'd be the only one in the battle-space without a vast array of conflicting patterns we see nowadays, a conveniently and ironically visible symptom of various types of organizational bureaucratic in-fighting, which would help with the Blue-on-Blue thing in real life :)

daftandbarmy said:
There's a good argument for having no cam on our clothing or equipment.

If nothing else, you'd be the only one in the battle-space without a vast array of conflicting patterns we see nowadays, a conveniently and ironically visible symptom of various types of organizational bureaucratic in-fighting, which would help with the Blue-on-Blue thing in real life :)

Are there any OD greens left in inventory  :D

Spencer100 said:
Underway, wouldn't be in today's battlespace if they are close enough to see you...you are already dead.

Visual is still important in naval operations.  I have a radar contact.  It might be the "bad guy" but I don't know.  It might be some random junk with no AIS.  I still have to visually identify the contact.  Recognized Maratime Picture is extremely important.  Its gets quite cluttered out there.  Esp in littorals.

Add to the fact we now have visual recognition software on missiles, even a 5% reduction in the visible light spectrum could give you an advantage.  And it doesn't have to be a fancy paint either, just a different less reflective colour.

As for research... the current paint colour was put on in the 60's.  There was research done, but I think with modern techniques developed by DRDC for the CADPAT program we could do much better.

Back