• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Defence declares war on political correctness, bans morning teas aimed at promoting inclusion and diversity

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
That's an...uh...interesting step.

The military has been ordered to stop holding morning teas which celebrate diversity and inclusion, as Defence chiefs remind personnel their "primary mission" is to protect Australia.

In a directive issued on Friday, the Defence Chief and Defence Secretary told ADF members that "Defence represents the people of Australia" and that it "must at all times be focused on our primary mission to protect Australia's national security interests".

"We must not be putting effort into matters that distract from this," General Angus Campbell and Defence Secretary Greg Moriarty wrote.

"To meet these important aims, changing language protocols and those events such as morning teas where personnel are encouraged to wear particular clothes in celebration are not required and should cease."

The order is in stark contrast to a message issued to ADF members earlier this month, encouraging them to support their LGBTI colleagues on International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Interphobia and Transphobia (IDAHOBIT) on May 17.

Can Canada bring this officer here to consult? Seems an awful lot of distraction id happening here đŸ‘đŸ»
While yes, Defence should focus on protecting the country, the ADF is still dealing with alleged SOF war crimes, sexual harassment issues, tone-deaf remarks by their CDF, etc. which is affecting Australians' view of it.

It might seem minor but maybe this isn't the time to be publicly telling the country that their military is not supporting certain members of Australian society. Not just LBGT+ but women as well, so combined you're talking potentially over half of Australian population. That just seems tone-deaf to me.

The timing is just bad too - not even a week after ADF members were encouraged to support those efforts. It seems like an internal conflict within the ADF itself.

Also, it's not like these "morning teas" (their term for coffee breaks) aren't happening anyway. It's just themed, rather than not. So it's not like some big to-do.

If the ADF directive is to stop people wearing unauthorized pins/ribbons etc on their uniform as part of gatherings then I guess OK? When we raised the Pride flag at the front gate as part of the International Day against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia we wore our normal uniforms without embellishments.

If they are banning local commanders from having events recognizing Australian equivalents to Asian History Month etc then I am truly baffled.

That's an...uh...interesting step.

Seems a bit of a policy 180 from previous incumbents, me old Cobber:

ARMY CHIEF CALLS FOR GAY RECRUITS​

Australian Army Chief Lieutenant General David Morrison has said he would like to see greater recruitment of gays and lesbians, women and ethnic minorities into the Australian Defence Force.

Morrison made his comments in a speech to the Sydney Institute on Tuesday.

“Twenty-five, 30 years ago the reaction to people of a different sexual orientation would have been seen as almost insurmountable,” Lt Gen. Morrison said.

“Yet now, of course it isn’t an issue and nor should it be. And we have many very proud gay and lesbian soldiers, airmen, airwomen, sailors serving in our ADF.”

The army chief said the defence forces require a strong combat culture, but this often results in some groups in society feeling excluded.

Looking at the photos in this article I'd suspect that the real reason for the ban has more to do with the fact that ADF members were gaining five pounds per month from attending these teas.

😉

War couldn't stop morning tea . . .

3986370.JPG

BOUGAINVILLE ISLAND. 1945-01-23. MEMBERS OF THE AUSTRALIAN ARMY NURSING SERVICE AND MEDICAL OFFICERS HAVING MORNING TEA IN THE SISTER'S MESS AT THE 109TH CASUALTY CLEARING STATION

What makes the government think they could do "something completely different" :)

tumblr_o61x3nv2wn1vrg413o1_1280.jpg

While yes, Defence should focus on protecting the country, the ADF is still dealing with alleged SOF war crimes, sexual harassment issues, tone-deaf remarks by their CDF, etc. which is affecting Australians' view of it.
When something big happens within the CAF, we tend to focus on it. Naturally. We focus on the what, why, how, whether it represents a bigger issue, potential changes, etc etc.

And with a lot of senior staff all being accused fo sexual misconduct at once - we’ve had more than enough disappointing nonsense to focus on.

We tend to forget that other countries have some pretty serious challenges within their ranks too. The US replaces commanders at an almost revolving door pace - sometimes faster, sometimes slower - big espionage scandals, sexual assaults, criminal activity on base, etc.

The UK? Some similar issues to ours, and a budget which can’t seem to decide if it’s going up or down on a given day. Australia? War crimes by SOF, attempted cover ups, sexual issues, etc etc.

I’m not taking solace in the thought that “Well at least we haven’t committed any war crimes lately, so that’s a plus.”
It IS darkly reassuring that at least we aren’t the only ones with some internally manifested challenges.

When something big happens within the CAF, we tend to focus on it. Naturally. We focus on the what, why, how, whether it represents a bigger issue, potential changes, etc etc.

And with a lot of senior staff all being accused fo sexual misconduct at once - we’ve had more than enough disappointing nonsense to focus on.

We tend to forget that other countries have some pretty serious challenges within their ranks too. The US replaces commanders at an almost revolving door pace - sometimes faster, sometimes slower - big espionage scandals, sexual assaults, criminal activity on base, etc.

The UK? Some similar issues to ours, and a budget which can’t seem to decide if it’s going up or down on a given day. Australia? War crimes by SOF, attempted cover ups, sexual issues, etc etc.

I’m not taking solace in the thought that “Well at least we haven’t committed any war crimes lately, so that’s a plus.”
It IS darkly reassuring that at least we aren’t the only ones with some internally manifested challenges.

And then there's the whole 'mutiny' thing in France, of course:

Almost half of French people support the military intervening in the country’s affairs following a letter by military officers saying they would take up arms to defend France against ‘suburban hordes.’​

A letter published by hundreds of former military officials in France has become a slow-burn that is increasingly registering on the country's political radar.

The open letter, originally published on April 21 in the far-right French magazine Valeurs Actuelles warns of "suburban hordes" overrunning the country.

Twenty retired generals, a hundred senior officers and more than a thousand soldiers warned of the "disintegration" of France, which if not stemmed, would result in the "intervention of our active comrades in a perilous mission of protecting our civilisational values."

And then there's the whole 'mutiny' thing in France, of course:

Almost half of French people support the military intervening in the country’s affairs following a letter by military officers saying they would take up arms to defend France against ‘suburban hordes.’​

A letter published by hundreds of former military officials in France has become a slow-burn that is increasingly registering on the country's political radar.

The open letter, originally published on April 21 in the far-right French magazine Valeurs Actuelles warns of "suburban hordes" overrunning the country.

Twenty retired generals, a hundred senior officers and more than a thousand soldiers warned of the "disintegration" of France, which if not stemmed, would result in the "intervention of our active comrades in a perilous mission of protecting our civilisational values."

I've done some googling, but wasn't able to find a 'trigger' event for the letter to be written.

Over the last few years, I've followed the feelings of tension & resentment many French citizens feel towards Muslims within their country - predominantly towards the mass influx of refugees, and the problems that have arisen from that situation. Add to that a few terror attacks, the media doing what the media does, as well as many examples of senseless violence (what appears to be senseless violence, anyway) by some of these refugees - and I can understand the 'why' of a lot of folks being frustrated with the current situation.

It's slightly better than it used to be, as at least now there aren't random tent cities popping up all over the place. The problem of having so many refugees flood into Europe from Syria, Egypt, Libya, etc etc has more or less been swept away from the public & media view, rather than having the problem solved.

That being said...does anybody know specifically what this letter is based on? Is it the general situation I described above? Was there a trigger event that I missed? Is the letter based on something else entirely?

I've read the letter. And I've read the media articles about how the politicians and military top brass aren't very happy with it. But I can't help feel like I'm missing something in this? Or am I?

Back