• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Divining the right role, capabilities, structure, and Regimental System for Canada's Army Reserves

I have no idea, it was 5 years ago. I don’t know why it’s super relevant to be honest. I actually think this whole conversation is more of a point at my other comment, quoting an article, about the problems with seeing both entities as separate. Since the very first response was “what about 5 years ago when there was something that made me feel slighted.”

For the record. I would cut every reg Force band from the CAF. Actually most reserve bands as well. That should free up enough PYs for an AD regiment.
Aren't most of our bands significantly staffed by civilians at this point. I know my units band as maybe four military members and the rest are all civilians. Some of them are double hatted, but sometimes there are conflicts about where they are most needed at a specific time. That being said, we do occasionally have bagpipes on exercise.

Not my unit:

Aren't most of our bands significantly staffed by civilians at this point. I know my units band as maybe four military members and the rest are all civilians. Some of them are double hatted, but sometimes there are conflicts about where they are most needed at a specific time. That being said, we do occasionally have bagpipes on exercise.

Not my unit:

Regular force military bands are, at last check, entirely made up of CAF members in the musician trade. Which is also the hardest trade to get into in the CAF by all accounts.

No clue. Someone upthread was connecting those things to training issues. It isn’t really relevant agreed.

Bands we’re already cut a while ago. I think there may be one or two bands per CBG if that. There might be what? Four Reg force bands? I think the reconstitution order indicated all bands to look at efficiencies. And yes I agree with you on that. But I doubt it generates any real results by cutting them.

If you can’t fill what you currently have (units, ships etc), cutting a band isn’t going to achieve that. Rather I would reroll most bands and give them either secondary or primary military tasks and music being one of their capabilities. Central band could be rerolled as that new aviator trade, navy band as bosuns or what not etc.

Reserve bands are primarily attached to infantry units so make them all driver qualified and maybe give them a CSS role. Basically give them a role that supports actual element core functions but they can also do the music thing as needed.
Usta eas bandsmen were stretcher bearers.

I spent five years in the Army HQ working on Res F issues. I spent more time on Bands and Band related issues than just about everything else.
They tried to dump that on me when I was an RSSO - and 26th Fd had a pipes and drum band with kilts and everything to make it even more fun. I flat out refused and said that's the DCO's problem - just like the annual ball. My primary bag was training.

🍻

They tried to dump that on me when I was an RSSO - and 26th Fd had a pipes and drum band with kilts and everything to make it even more fun. I flat out refused and said that's the DCO's problem - just like the annual ball. My primary bag was training.

🍻

We had an ex-Reg F CO who told the Adjt to 'fire' our Pipe Band because they 'displeased' (his words) him.

I was OC Adm Coy at the time and, technically, in charge of the band via the Band O so I saved the Adjt some trouble, I'm sure.

I had the enjoyable task of informing the CO that they could not be fired as they were all volunteers. All of our Class A Band positions were vacant, and had been for several years ;)

We had an ex-Reg F CO who told the Adjt to 'fire' our Pipe Band because they 'displeased' (his words) him.

I was OC Adm Coy at the time and, technically, in charge of the band via the Band O so I saved the Adjt some trouble, I'm sure.

I had the enjoyable task of informing the CO that they could not be fired as they were all volunteers. All of our Class A Band positions were vacant, and had been for several years ;)
If I recall correctly only two of our bandsmen were reservists, the rest were volunteers and also served on the local Shriners pipe band. We were happy to have them. The Regiment did annual ball exchanges with Minot AFB. The Yanks just loved the pipes and drums.

🍻

Perhaps we should look at the value of our bands ? Do we need more than one ? Do we need any of them ?

I’m sure pre recorded music will work nicely with things like national anthems and such. Task the public affairs or Sigs to provide audio from now on. Get the current bands to create a music library before getting rid of them though.

Pre-recorded makes you look like amateurs. There is something about having some live music for ceremonial events which can’t be matched by the recording. Be it a real bugle for the last post or a full pipe and drums reverberating through a stadium. If you haven’t had that experience I highly recommend it, it can be very moving.

Not to mention all the issues you run into with pre-recorded. It never seems to be timed right, people always hit the wrong buttons, it gets cut out accidentally, people put on the wrong song, etc.

Pre-recorded makes you look like amateurs. There is something about having some live music for ceremonial events which can’t be matched by the recording. Be it a real bugle for the last post or a full pipe and drums reverberating through a stadium. If you haven’t had that experience I highly recommend it, it can be very moving.

Not to mention all the issues you run into with pre-recorded. It never seems to be timed right, people always hit the wrong buttons, it gets cut out accidentally, people put on the wrong song, etc.
Yes. My point was somewhat sarcastic but that first point is exactly it. If we want to look like amateurs then that is the route we should take.

In all seriousness, bands can be utilized for other tasks. Or maybe this is exactly the kind of thing that should be a PRes task.

Yes; if there's one way to look like a complete chickensh!t force compared to many of our allies, it would be to use recorded music everywhere. Except when using mounted loudspeakers, riding into battle.

Yes; if there's one way to look like a complete chickensh!t force compared to many of our allies, it would be to use recorded music everywhere. Except when using mounted loudspeakers, riding into battle.
Well at least we’d match the perception they get from our equipment and fitness.

Yes. My point was somewhat sarcastic but that first point is exactly it. If we want to look like amateurs then that is the route we should take.

In all seriousness, bands can be utilized for other tasks. Or maybe this is exactly the kind of thing that should be a PRes task.
100% agree. Or utilize troops trained in other trades as the band members. I know a few people who serve as Reservists in other trades but for the ceremonial events parade with the band.

Reg force would it really be so hard to cut loose band members for a half day once every week or two to practice as a group for the unit band? Thats basically all the group practice most Reserve bands have and they do pretty good overall. Obviously training schedules/work requirements permitting but your going to have a hard time convincing me that 365 days a year thats not a option.

Back