• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DMedPol Question

chadk

Inactive
Reaction score
I am looking for someone who might know where to find information pertaining to DMedPol and my tcat.  I was on my third tcat from having surgery ( waiting for surgery and the recovery ) and as of last week have been completely cleared by medical on base.  Which means that I no longer have any MEL's and can do the FORCES test. 

I am 3 months over due for my AB's and now that I am cleared of all MEL's would like to do the FORCES test.  My road block is my PO who says that until they get notification from DMedPol that I am free to resume my career, he will not allow me to do the test therefore denying my promotion to AB ( which I always thought was time in )

I have looked but have not been able to find information in the CFAO's or DAOD's that say that I must wait to be cleared from Ottawa to be allowed to do the FORCES test ( only road block to my AB's ) 

Can someone lead me in the right direction?

So you've completed a Pt 1 and Pt 2 medical, and your med cat is back to where it was prior to surgery? Your PO shouldn't need anything more than your change of med cat form that states cleared full duties. DMEDPOL is just going to say the exact same thing, just a few months down the road.

Yes, part 1 and 2 completed and released from MEL's.  But both my PO and actually the CP02 pulled me into the office to inform me that my career is frozen...meaning no promotion, no posting and no courses.  Funny thing is I am an OS who is 5's qualified.  What I need is proof that I can take to them and get my career rolling again. So hoping someone knows somewhere within the DAOD's and or CFAO's something that says that I can or cannot.  Of course the absense of this information within the CFAO's or DAOD's is also a good thing.

chadk said:
I am looking for someone who might know where to find information pertaining to DMedPol and my tcat.  I was on my third tcat from having surgery ( waiting for surgery and the recovery ) and as of last week have been completely cleared by medical on base.  Which means that I no longer have any MEL's and can do the FORCES test. 

I am 3 months over due for my AB's and now that I am cleared of all MEL's would like to do the FORCES test.  My road block is my PO who says that until they get notification from DMedPol that I am free to resume my career, he will not allow me to do the test therefore denying my promotion to AB ( which I always thought was time in )

I have looked but have not been able to find information in the CFAO's or DAOD's that say that I must wait to be cleared from Ottawa to be allowed to do the FORCES test ( only road block to my AB's ) 

Can someone lead me in the right direction?

As far as I know, TCAT's are managed by your local H Svcs unit.  Once the restrictions have been lifted and your fit "full duties", they should have given you a 'chit" which says that.

If you're pinning your hope on D Med Pol, forget about it, as the paperwork probably doesn't even go through them.  It usually goes to the Regional Medical Officer (???), then to your unit for CO's comments and your signature, which can take sometime.

No, I am just wanting to show proof to the PO and CP02 that I can now proceed with my FORCES test and my promotion without waiting to hear back from Ottawa as they are telling me.  Heck the PO even gave me permission 2 months ago to do a "practice" FORCES test when PSP was allowing members to try it and I passed the "trial" no problem.  Found it very easy, and this was still while I was on MEL's

chadk said:
No, I am just wanting to show proof to the PO and CP02 that I can now proceed with my FORCES test and my promotion without waiting to hear back from Ottawa as they are telling me.  Heck the PO even gave me permission 2 months ago to do a "practice" FORCES test when PSP was allowing members to try it and I passed the "trial" no problem.  Found it very easy, and this was still while I was on MEL's

If your "current" health care provider gives you the "green light", then your good to go.  You can also ask your CO for a "90 day" extension inorder to workup to doing the testing.  So they must have given you a chit at your last visit and if not, go back and get one.

I have a note in hand from Medical stating that I am free and clear of any and all MEL's yes.....but my PO and CP02 are arguing with me that they "have to wait to hear from Ottawa." and will not accept anything given from Base Medical....saying that what Base Medical Doctor says has no pull.  From my understanding is not true.

chadk said:
I have a note in hand from Medical stating that I am free and clear of any and all MEL's yes.....but my PO and CP02 are arguing with me that they "have to wait to hear from Ottawa." and will not accept anything given from Base Medical....saying that what Base Medical Doctor says has no pull.  From my understanding is not true.

Go talk to your health care provider.  Medical issues are their responsibility.

chadk said:

If it were me, I'd go get a chit that says "Fit for promotion and fit to conduct FORCE evaluation". Then they can't argue they have to wait for Ottawa. Sounds like someone is just screwing you around because you were on TCAT for a while.

that is probably exactly what is happening.  As we speak my MS is in a meeting with our LT because she is fed up with our CoC.  IF that does not work, then memos will be written.

For TCat, there is no "wait for DMedPol". Once your primary health care provider provides with you printout chit stating you are fit full duties, you are fit without restriction, and heathy enough to your job.

If there is any doubt, ask the Base Surgeon to clarify your current medical status. If D Med Pol needs to be involved, your BSurg (not your CoC, not the career mgr) can ask them to expedite their review of your med file.  You should be able to get this sorted out shortly.

Thank you for the advice, I will be contacting my Doctor again so that he can clarify this change in my status.  I have no idea why there are so many misinformed higher ranks in our military.  Why your CoC would go out of there way to stop someones career instead of helping them get ahead is beyond me.  That is just my ranting.

They are nottrying to hold you back - they want to be certain you are fit & able and that they will not cause any damage to you.

In this case, I suspect the logic is "D Med Pol made the initial rulign, therefore only D Med Pol can lift it."  And while that is not what the rules say, it does sound somewhat sensible.

Don't assume they're out to get you - in this case, it sounds like they want to be certain that they don't do anything to physically injure you.  Good intentions.

I am wondering if anyone has some insight.  After fighting to be allowed to do the Forces Test since Base Medical released me from my TCat  ( giving me a Fit for Full Duty ) I am finally doing the test August 1st.  My question is can you be posted while your file is still in Ottawa with DMedPol?  I will be attempting to put a memo in for Flight Steward as once I complete Forces test I will no longer be dagged Red. 

chadk said:
I am wondering if anyone has some insight.  After fighting to be allowed to do the Forces Test since Base Medical released me from my TCat  ( giving me a Fit for Full Duty ) I am finally doing the test August 1st.  My question is can you be posted while your file is still in Ottawa with DMedPol?  I will be attempting to put a memo in for Flight Steward as once I complete Forces test I will no longer be dagged Red.

"Fit for Full Duty" means just that.  So unless there are "career" restrictions imposed by DGMC as a result of an ongoing AR MEL, then your CM can do what ever they choose.

If memory serves me correctly, you need to pass an aircrew medical to go as a flight stewart, pass the AMT, and complete basic survival. If your medical condition prohibits you from any of these, you'd be screened out.

Air Factor 4 for flight steward or attendant (and your QL5 completed IIRC).

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/faq-101

Flight Steward & Flight Attendant

Flight Stewards are members of the CF Steward and Cook occupations who volunteer for and fill specified aircrew positions onboard CF aircraft. Flight Attendants are members of any CF occupation who volunteer for and fill specified aircrew positions.

Both Flight Stewards and Flight Attendants perform the following duties:

• Perform tasks associated with passenger comfort and safety
• Respond to onboard emergencies
• Operate aircraft ancillary, emergency & survival equipment
• Carry out any special in-flight instructions of the Aircraft Captain/Loadmaster

Additional duties specific to Flight Stewards:

• Prepare and serve all types of meals and beverages while airborne
• Purchase food and supplies and account for them
• Maintain the cleanliness of the galley and aircraft interior

Additional duties specific to Flight Attendants:

• Knowledge of in-flight feeding
• Perform pre-flight duties such as assisting passengers & providing general information

Employment as either Flight Steward or Flight Attendant is temporary employment available to non-commissioned CF members of the Steward or Cook occupation (Flight Steward) or any other occupation (Flight Attendant) who have attained the QL 5 qualification with a specific medical category and three years remaining in their current terms of service (post training).

I'm a bit confused as to why D Med Pol is involved if you were on a TCAT?

The first 2 TCAT's are generally administered (and removed) locally, without D Med Pol involvement. It's when your file reaches the point of either a PCAT or extended (3rd and more) TCAT that it has to go to Ottawa - in which case only D Med Pol can remove it, so your local doc does not have the power to "release" you from your TCAT. If Ottawa put you on an extended TCAT, only Ottawa can release you.

Ah, I get it.

Ok, once you require an extended TCAT, it's out of the local doc's control. They can only admin (put you on and take you off) the first 2 TCATs; the extended is a decision made by D Med Pol, and only D Med Pol can therefore remove it. You will remain on the medical category that D Med Pol put you on (your last extended TCAT) until they remove it.

Best your local doc can do is a "trial fit full duties", but the category will stand until changed by D Med Pol.

All is not lost, however. While processing a medical file normally takes several months for Ottawa, there are circumstances where the local Base Surgeon may ask for the decision to be expedited. Career implications (promotion, postings, etc) are included in that. So ask your doc to ask your Base Surg to ask D Med Pol to expedite the decision on your file.

Back