• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Domestic and Arctic Mobility Enhancement Project

I get the distinct impression that the only people who ever discussed this sort of thing were people like us , the press occasionally.
But by and and large both Air Canada and the Government were almost desperately trying to avoid that conversation.
I suspect that had the balloon gone up assuming everybody in Ottawa hadn't been reduced to a catatonic state by the shock of reality intruding on their world.
Their would have been a series of orders in council. Basically commissioning enmasse' every commerical aircrew in the country. Not to mention ground crews.
A very selective form of conscription.
Part of the problem is that mobilization is dirty word. And so is war. And we tend to avoid discussing it as a result.

Honestly the CAF needs more C-130 anyway, so getting 30 or so to spread out on Northern Airfields would be a major boost.

Honestly if I was king, I’d make a Crown Corp to have a Northern Airline - that doubles as Air Reserve, with Hooks and Herc’s spread around the North. “Double Double Airlines”
We can't even crew the fleets we have now, and the knitting has already started for just the capabilities coming on board. Nor will we ever have enough unless we dramatically change the way we recruit and employ personnel.

We can't even crew the fleets we have now, and the knitting has already started for just the capabilities coming on board. Nor will we ever have enough unless we dramatically change the way we recruit and employ personnel.
Or maybe just have an effective strategy for training the pilots. How many have been sitting for how long?

Private pilot licenses aeroplane in Canada ca 2018 - 22,132
Commercial pilot licenses aeroplane in Canada ca 2018 - 7,470
Airline transport pilot licenses aeroplane in Canada ca 2018 - 12,834

Private pilot licenses helicopter in Canada ca 2018 - 709
Commercial pilot licenses helicopter in Canada ca 2018 - 2,745
Airline transport pilot licenses helicopter in Canada ca 2018 - 911

Can't we convert some portion of those flyers to government contracts on government aircraft occasionally?

Young pilots wanting to build up their hours?

With only a couple of hundred thousand people north of sixty how many pilots are necessary? A few hundred sounds like a few squadrons worth to me. And so what if they are only there temporarily? The bigger issue, as far as I am concerned is that they can be organized and put on the government payroll when necessary.
It sounds like you're arguing for an aviation version of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary or the US Military Sealift Command rather than an active Reserve. I'm not familiar with arctic pilots but worked quite a bit with the commercial aviation industry in northern Ontario, became friends with a couple. I could be wrong but I'm not sure how many would be interested in the non-flying aspects of being a member of a Reserve unit. In more than a few cases, there were a number I'm not sure you would want.

Or maybe just have an effective strategy for training the pilots. How many have been sitting for how long?
When it takes two years just to approve someone to join the CAF I can't imagine how Long it takes to get them trained as pilots. Hell I bet some finish training just in time to retire. :rolleyes:

De Haviland has announced a new manufacturing complex to be built east of Calgary. Facility to have the ability to produce aircraft, spare parts, and train staff. Once completed in 2025 would employ 1500 staff. This in in addition to the 1000 staff already in calgary. Giving the company a significant presence in western Canada.

I have flown into Nunavik a few times with both Air Inuit and Air Creebec. There are tons of bush pilots who fly Otters and Twin Otters up there. I am sure it's the same in Nunavut and the Territories.

To fly the type of flying we do in the Arctic with those T.O., do we really need fully trained military personnel?

How about minimal military indoctrination and use some of those bush pilots in an organized "Air Ranger" patrol? They already know the place and the challenges better than us from the South ever will.

A Twin-Otter / Air Ranger option?

The Sherpa's cabin is 6.5 ft (1.98 m) wide, 6.5 ft (1.98 m) high and 29 ft (8.84 m) long.[1] It offers a cargo volume of 1,230 cu ft (34.83 m3), with a cargo capacity of 8,000 lb (3,629 kg).[1]

Not big enough for Bandvagons but big enough for Argo/Missionmaster 8x8s, MRZRs, ATVs and Snowmobiles.

Back