• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dredged up from old files...

Jacky Tar

Inactive
Reaction score
... came across this which I'd saved from the mists of prehistory a while ago on the sadly now-defunct CAN_MILITARY echo on FIDONET and thought I'd share. Still relevant today, IMNSHO.

Ode to the Dayworkers

The men down in the spaces
Their lonely vigil keep,
Alert and ever watchful,
While all around them sleep.
The ones who take for granted
the comforts of a home;
Like heat and light and water
And passage o'er the foam.

One day, these passage sweepers
And others of their ilk,
Will find that there's no water,
no coffee, tea or milk.
No light to read their skin books by
And nowhere they can go,
When the silent, great minority
Take a holiday from 'below.'

P2ER4 D. Sutherland
HMCS Bonaventure

Stores office is open or the DST is standing by 24/7 to enable you to run your machinery when it breaks, as it invariably does.

And thank the victualler for your vitals my friend

Halifax Tar said:
Stores office is open or the DST is standing by 24/7 to enable you to run your machinery when it breaks, as it invariably does.

True. And honesty compels me to admit I've seen storsies sitting the mids in HQ1, too. Sometimes with feet up on the console, breaking the buttons for me.* :)

* Okay, once.

Halifax Tar said:

Keyword is "Standing By" many a time have had to shake the "duty" supply tech to get parts. Then had to wait while they got cleaned up and awake with a coffee before getting assistance.
But to be fair,  I do have to say for the most part they were generally fairly quick to get the job done. Didn't want to lump the few bad ones in with most of the good ones.

Back