• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Extended Range Cannon Artillery

FJAG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
The Extended Range Cannon Artillery project (ERCA) is one of the Army's Big Six priorities under development by the US Army Futures Command.

In the slightly altered words of Crocodile Dundee "That's not a gun. ... That's a gun."

5670576-1024x681.jpg

https://defence-blog.com/army/u-s-army-begins-test-of-newest-component-for-future-artillery-system.html?fbclid=IwAR1PJt5CF-go_C5cqQGe4GUBO2GckmYs2tR6Zr8iNWn3aswSSix9yUjTcx8

:cheers:

Thanks, Wolfe.

Very interesting and I can think of a number of issues that must be addressed across the broad range of ballistics, logistics, and tactics, along with a bunch of other areas. How big is the 84% zone, and how far up does the round go? How many of these should be included in a corps and maybe even a divisional artillery? How effective is the round - guided or unguided?

But, being a bit sarcastic by nature, my first reaction was that now we gunners would not have to leave the gun park, and could wear civvies to work.

Actually Brian my first question was how do we manoeuvre that thing through the streets of your typical European city without taking out a few walls and bending the barrel.

Bit reminiscent of the old M110 8" howitzer as to barrel length.

;D

Or the 175mm SP gun, on the same chassis as the M110. It had a range of 32k back in the sixties, but had some technical issues. It resembled nothing so much as a carpet sweeper, remember them - a small body and a long handle.

Back