• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fanshawe College Anti-military Demonstration

Sgt_McWatt

Inactive
Reaction score
I attend Fanshawe college but fortunately missed this because I am not sure how I would have reacted. I agree that they have the right to do it but its all the whining that is coming after words that is more of an annoyance to me. There is a link to the college newspaper about the actual event and an A Channel report including some video about the protesters threatening legal action.

http://www.fsu.on.ca/story.asp?ibangYear=0708&storyID=826&sectionID=1&issueID=23

http://www.achannel.ca/london/news_53709.aspx

Well, they have a right to protest, but where that right ends, is when it impedes another's right to access the information recruiters present. I wonder if they have pondered the question of censorship, and how their prevent others from gaining access to information fits in with their claims of freedom of speech being violated.

Teeps74 said:
Well, they have a right to protest, but where that right ends, is when it impedes another's right to access the information recruiters present. I wonder if they have pondered the question of censorship, and how their prevent others from gaining access to information fits in with their claims of freedom of speech being violated.

Well what most of these protesters fail to realize, is that colleges and universities aren't exactly public property.  True they are funded in part by the public, they operate as private property and enjoy all the rights and priveledges that entails, including deciding what is allowed to take place on said property.  Now for the most part Colleges/Universities have policies in place that allow for demonstrations of various sorts, usually prior approval must be obtained, and the demonstrators must follow certain guidelines.  Should approval not be sought or guidelines ignored well, the College/University has every right to have security/police break up the demonstrators and charge them accordingly.

Hey Ranger,

I go to Western, and am pretty upset to hear of this happening in London. I especially resent this:

The protesters littered the floor surrounding the bodies with white crosses with the names of the 78 soldiers who have been killed to-date during Canada’s involvement with Operation Athena in Afghanistan

Using the names of our fallen comrades as if they would agree with the protest. Protesting the mission is not wrong in principle, although I don't think the protesters should invoke the names of casualties.

Does anyone else feel like many students protest against the Forces because it's "cool" or "revolutionary" without actually having much of an understanding of the situation? Quite a few people I talk to on campus who disagree with the mission have relevant, intelligent things to say, but many are in some sort of liberal black hole of reason and say things like "War is bad" without detailed, or ANY analysis of the situation. It's frustrating that educated people can be so stubborn and target the Forces merely because it is a convenient target that allows them to impress their friends with their political fervor without having to use their brains.

"The protesters littered the floor surrounding the bodies with white crosses with the names of the 78 soldiers who have been killed to-date during Canada’s involvement with Operation Athena in Afghanistan."

"According to one of the Forces recruiters who witnessed the protest, it was only the use of the soldier’s names that bothered them as those who had died had voluntarily applied for deployment and would resent being used as martyrs of any sort."

Right to protest - fine.  Right to use my husband's name and the names of the other fallen soldiers - I don't think so!!! I know that my husband would NOT appreciate his name being used to further their cause. That's an insult to who he was as a person and a soldier. He believed in our military and the mission to A'stan.

Ranger Rick said:
I attend Fanshawe college but fortunately missed this because I am not sure how I would have reacted.

I know how I would have reacted if I had seen my husband's name on the floor and it wouldn't have been pretty.

Hatchet Man said:
Well what most of these protesters fail to realize, is that colleges and universities aren't exactly public property.  True they are funded in part by the public, they operate as private property and enjoy all the rights and priveledges that entails, including deciding what is allowed to take place on said property.  Now for the most part Colleges/Universities have policies in place that allow for demonstrations of various sorts, usually prior approval must be obtained, and the demonstrators must follow certain guidelines.  Should approval not be sought or guidelines ignored well, the College/University has every right to have security/police break up the demonstrators and charge them accordingly.

Exactly as posted in the article:

“We were not trying to prevent the students from expressing themselves, but we had an agreed upon manner in which they were to do it, and they refused to do it that way.”

The college continued by saying that had the protest been in accord with the schools’ Respectful College Community Policy and Safe College Campus Policy, which include fire and safety regulations, Fanshawe would have made a decision whether or not to accommodate the group.

“We do, in our protocol, have a criterion that allows the college to make a determination at any special event to keep two opposing groups apart,” Marcoccia continued. “But we would not put them side-by-side because it would not be respectful to either guest. We would provide them areas with the same access and ability to convey their message.

benny88 said:
  Does anyone else feel like many students protest against the Forces because it's "cool" or "revolutionary" without actually having much of an understanding of the situation? Quite a few people I talk to on campus who disagree with the mission have relevant, intelligent things to say, but many are in some sort of liberal black hole of reason and say things like "War is bad" without detailed, or ANY analysis of the situation. It's frustrating that educated people can be so stubborn and target the Forces merely because it is a convenient target that allows them to impress their friends with their political fervor without having to use their brains.

I work campus police at a large, urban university. I've seen a lot of protests, felt the effects of racial tension, and observed the politics of youth in action. At the risk of generalizing, I do feel that many of those who oppose "the military" don't have much of an in-depth understanding of it...not to mention any experience. Military = war, and war = bad, and trying to argue any particulars or details with some people will just lead to that mantra. I can't say that I don't admire their intentions (I was in their shoes back in the day), but I don't appreciate an opinion based on ignorance. At least do some research before you form such a strong opinion.

So, yeah. I do think that often it appears "cool" to rail against "the man", and against "the war". It probably makes them feel as though they're a part of another social revolution, a la Vietnam protesters.

Would they have the balls to contact the families of all of our fallen comrades and ask for permission to use their names? The answer is a resounding NO! If they took the name of a friend or relative in vain I would certainly make their spectacle look like a tea room social.
It is disrespectful and they have annihilated any credibility that they had (which was hovering around none) with this sickening and immature display. I've argued on facebook with the morons that put on this "protest" and they are indeed as hollow and mindless as any other counter-recruiting group in this country. They represent a microscopic speck of the general population yet they believe this is their only way to prove that they are indeed the majority. Why do "peaceniks" always behave like full blooded FASCISTS?

the_midge said:
I work campus police at a large, urban university. I've seen a lot of protests, felt the effects of racial tension, and observed the politics of youth in action. At the risk of generalizing, I do feel that many of those who oppose "the military" don't have much of an in-depth understanding of it...not to mention any experience. Military = war, and war = bad, and trying to argue any particulars or details with some people will just lead to that mantra. I can't say that I don't admire their intentions (I was in their shoes back in the day), but I don't appreciate an opinion based on ignorance. At least do some research before you form such a strong opinion.

So, yeah. I do think that often it appears "cool" to rail against "the man", and against "the war". It probably makes them feel as though they're a part of another social revolution, a la Vietnam protesters.

I didn't mean to generalize, so sorry about that. Good insight the_midge, thanks for your thoughts.

No, not accusing you of generalizing. Just providing a disclaimer for my own comments.  :)

Not all campus can do what Fanshawe did....

Student Union property - aka student centres are property of the Student Union/Council purchased and built with student fees.

That's how some protests were able to take on "school property" as they have taken place in the student controlled centres
as opposed to university controlled property. 

I would think most universities and colleges would do exactly what Fanshawe did if it happened on University controlled
property vice student controlled property.

Either way, it appears, from the article, that several of the persons arrested/removed were not students of that campus.  They were tresspassing in the first place.

I was shocked and appalled when I heard about this. Today on the cover of the school paper is a picture of on of my professors (A S/Sgt with the London Police Service) talking to one of them. I just think that it is incredibly ironic because firstly as stated before they where saying their free speech was being trampled when they where not allowing people access to the military recruiting stand. Also I know this may sound terribly cliché HOWEVER they are protesting against the very people who provide them with that guaranteed freedom.

Also I must agree with other things. After talking to people who are quite strongly "Anti War" They mix up details about the war in Afghanistan and the war in Iraq, I find it sad. I believe that having people who are anti military and pro liberal and democrats are a necessary part of our political system; I just find it sad when they don’t know what they are arguing about.

Just to clarify another issue they where in a gymnasium belonging to the school. There are other buildings at Fansahwe belonging to the student union as pointed out. 

George Wallace said:
Either way, it appears, from the article, that several of the persons arrested/removed were not students of that campus.  They were tresspassing in the first place.

Trespassing - makes it nice and easy for us to deal with same.

Thank you for the Trespass to Property Act!

Plus the pile of bodies were in front of a fire exit, thus endangering everyones life in the room  ;D I didn't make the connection between names on the crosses as being "on side" with the protesters, but now I'm even more ashamed it happened in my community. I also feel that if a student has done some research and has credible reason not to support the war I respect their opinion but I don't agree with it. But I'm so sick of the "war = bad because people die" crap. Heck, I get a kick that if it wasn't for our military, those students wouldn't have the right to protest. They would be beaten down and imprisoned for their actions. Sadly their rose coloured glasses don't pick that up.

Apparently there is videos of this on Youtube. I have seen part of one where the police officers tell them to leave the area. These people are just idiots...  :cdn:

Here is the video.... http://www.youtube.com/user/londonredfootage    .... stupid hippies!

So, these idiots  haven't heard this before:

It is the soldier, not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer,
who has given us the freedom to demonstrate

It is the soldier, not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the soldier,
who salutes the flag,
who serves under the flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Without the soldier, that peaceful protest wouldn't have been able to take place. They wouldn't have the FREEDOM to do what they did...put them in Afghanistan, Iraq, Sudan, and the protest would turn into a death sentence. They don't understand one iota what a soldier is, does who is he/she is, what he/she beliefs are, etc.
Watching their smug faces while being arrested, I was disgusted...even if they did say they were students of Fanshawe.
Did any of them know what kind of person Rick, Frank, Shane, Will, Darcy, Vaugh, Jeff, Boomer, any of those who gave their life, did they know what kind of person they were??

As a former student of Fanshawe, I'm at a loss of words

Back