• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fear of Heights

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastBreath

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm currently in high school, and thinking about joining the military, however, i was wondering if there is a height training during the basic training section.

[Edit to TITLE to clarify question.]

LastBreath said:
I'm currently in high school, and thinking about joining the military, however, i was wondering if there is a height training during the basic training section.

Hum... perhaps you meant Weight??

Alea

LastBreath said:

Do you mean like rappeling or the obstacle course type stuff?

Lol, I meant height, huh, as in (standing in a tall building) and fall off, I am really anxious if in a tall building and looking down

LastBreath said:
Lol, I meant height, huh, as in (standing in a tall building) and fall off, I am really anxious if in a tall building and looking down

Oups, sorry... I misunderstood.

Alea

LastBreath said:
Depends how high you're thinking. We did rapelling off of a building-like structure, and during the swim test we did an evac dive off a 6 meter diving board.

I would also suggest against some combat arms trades until you can defeat that particular fear.

Nauticus said:
I would also suggest against some combat arms trades until you can defeat that particular fear.

i dont like heights. Did just fine in the combat arms.

Nauticus said:

Meh,  lots of dudes with fear of heights in combat arms units.  I have rarely seen it to the point that it becomes a detriment to them and their career.

MJP said:
Meh,  lots of dudes with fear of heights in combat arms units.  I have rarely seen it to the point that it becomes a detriment to them and their career.
Fair enough, but I think it would also depend on the degree a person's fear. Some fear heights, but do it in the rare chance they may have to, but if the TS is anxious enough that s/he cannot do it effectively at all, then I would stand by my comment.

LastBreath said:

I believe the capacity to overcome fear is one of the defining characteristics of the combat arms.

Nauticus said:
Fair enough, but I think it would also depend on the degree a person's fear. Some fear heights, but do it in the rare chance they may have to, but if the TS is anxious enough that s/he cannot do it effectively at all, then I would stand by my comment.

I'll go out on a limb and say that unless the OP wants to be a paratrooper, anything short of a debilitating fear of heights is fine. Then again, i have known many jumpers who werent too keen on heights.

LastBreath said:

Well you have nothing to fear...No trade in the CF is required to stand on a tall building and fall off.

Shamrock said:
I believe the capacity to overcome fear is one of the defining characteristics of the combat arms.

It's a good thing I never went combat arms then, because it would take a large infanteer with a rifle to make me step off a rappelling tower....  ;)

Towards_the_gap said:
Well you have nothing to fear...No trade in the CF is required to stand on a tall building and fall off.

Dude, you owe me a new screen.  ;D

Quote from: Nauticus on Today at 18:34:55

Quote from: MJP

I first time I worked on a 3' x 30' platform just 12' above the ground, I literally crawled, I was so scared. Within 3 months I was walking along the 2x6 top stringer, bending over to pick up the light fixture arm and standing on my tiptoes to change the light bulbs, most signs 40' + in height.

Getting over the fear of heights is like most fears, you just work through them....

edited to add: Oh, BTW, it does not hurt to fall.                            Just the stopping part.

CDN Aviator said:
I'll go out on a limb and say that unless the OP wants to be a paratrooper, anything short of a debilitating fear of heights is fine. Then again, i have known many jumpers who werent too keen on heights.

Thats so true. I hate heights, before i got into the Army my friend tried to get me to repel off a little mountain with him and i couldn't go through with it. i got sent to the para/mountain company, they put me on the course i did as much as i could to avoid being put on, but i went through with it. It's all about over coming fears, i also had to do a 300ft repel off a mountain with them you really don't get much say in what you can or can't do when you're infantry.

I've Also have a fear of the water since i drowned and got sever hypothermia in the ocean my buddy dragged me out unconscious. Now i've decided to join the Navy where hopefully once again i will overcome this issue. I believe the Military does great things for you in every way.

I dislike heights also. Civy Pilot, and skydiver. I've also worked roofing etc. I can muscle through it. Doesn't mean I have to like it ;D

CDN Aviator said:
i dont like heights. Did just fine in the combat arms.

You don't like heights, and now fly in Auroras,
I don't like  heights and do backflips out of planes from 10 000 ft for fun....

I love it when things make perfect sense.  :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back