• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Future Helicopters

OK the crayon eater has another a few questions: how difficult would this thing be to fly? Maintenance would be an issue maybe? How airworthy is something like this?
I think it is probably less technically challenging than a V-22 Osprey.

Slightly off-topic from an outsider, but I saw this on the RCAF f/b page. Apparently the Griffon is off to France for Exercise Volfa.

My question is why it is blue?

RCAF.jpg

OK the crayon eater has another a few questions: how difficult would this thing be to fly? Maintenance would be an issue maybe? How airworthy is something like this?
Modern fly-by-wire flight control systems tame the inherently unruly flight characteristics of rotorcraft like these, allowing the pilots to concentrate on mission accomplishment vs just trying to stay in the same grid square as formation/element colleagues. 😉

I’d have a slight preference to the V-280 Valor over the Defiant, but would gladly fly either. Personally, I think the greatly simplified mechanics of the V-280 compared to the V-22 will go a long way to easing the maintenance difference between tilt-rotor and coaxial compound helos.

Meanwhile in Bahrain...

JFC how embarrassing for the CA and RCAF that Bahrain has AH-1Z's and the CF has a grand sum of zero AH.

Meanwhile in Bahrain...

JFC how embarrassing for the CA and RCAF that Bahrain has AH-1Z's and the CF has a grand sum of zero AH.
The majority of the Canadian electorate don’t really care, or even more so, would question why would even need AH for the peacekeeping that PM Trudeau promised that “Canada’s back” to do…

The majority of the Canadian electorate don’t really care, or even more so, would question why would even need AH for the peacekeeping that PM Trudeau promised that “Canada’s back” to do…
Maybe he missed the memo there is no peace to keep...

Maybe he missed the memo there is no peace to keep...
Don’t let the facts get in the way of a (well, multiple) hollow, unfulfilled election promise(s). “Canada’s back” sound good to the non-critically thinking millennial Neo-liberals who eat up Trudeau’s virtuous, inspirational, buzz-word laced self-backslapping that makes them feel good as they sip $5 Starbucks lattés.

Yeah but just think about how many jobs could be created if we bought a mixed fleet of UH-1Y and AH-1Z's to be built in Mirabel!

And then the Government of Canada wouldn't have to answer embarrassing questions from the media about why foreign allied force's investigations into their member's deaths in our aircraft call the aircraft completely unsuitable for the job, after multiple elected and Commissioned officials claimed otherwise before their deployment...

Yeah but just think about how many jobs could be created if we bought a mixed fleet of UH-1Y and AH-1Z's to be built in Mirabel!

And then the Government of Canada wouldn't have to answer embarrassing questions from the media about why foreign allied force's investigations into their member's deaths in our aircraft call the aircraft completely unsuitable for the job, after multiple elected and Commissioned officials claimed otherwise before their deployment...
I'd like to read that. Is there a link you can point me to.

🍻

I'd like to read that. Is there a link you can point me to.

🍻

Key take away:
Indirect factors included incorrect application of aircraft performance charts and the inter-turbine temperature was exceeded, but the mission was "appropriately tasked and authorised".

I has some personal opinions about "appropriate" - and that word never applies to the Griffon in Afghanistan.

There is a lot more - some US stuff that us FOUO, and I am sure other Allies also held that the Griffon was a bad idea for Afghan -- even the then CDS thought it was the wrong helicopter for the AO

the Griffons turned out better than expected and sure beat have no helicopters. I wonder how the Mi-17's would have performed if given the same missions as the Griffon and equipped with weapons?

the Griffons turned out better than expected and sure beat have no helicopters. I wonder how the Mi-17's would have performed if given the same missions as the Griffon and equipped with weapons?
Certainly. And I’m by no means an expert or even casually knowledgeable, nor do I want to take away from the contributions those helicopters and their crews made over there. But when a parter nation whose Air Force operates the same helicopter arrives at that conclusion it’s pretty damning.

Certainly. And I’m by no means an expert or even casually knowledgeable, nor do I want to take away from the contributions those helicopters and their crews made over there. But when a parter nation whose Air Force operates the same helicopter arrives at that conclusion it’s pretty damning.
Which helicopter are you talking about the Mi-17 or the Griffon?

Don’t let the facts get in the way of a (well, multiple) hollow, unfulfilled election promise(s). “Canada’s back” sound good to the non-critically thinking millennial Neo-liberals who eat up Trudeau’s virtuous, inspirational, buzz-word laced self-backslapping that makes them feel good as they sip $5 Starbucks lattés.

(y):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(y)
About half way through I started reading this in Ron James voice, now I want to go watch his show again?

🍻

I think it is probably less technically challenging than a V-22 Osprey.
I thought the V-22 was much easier to fly the any other helos I had flown before!

If an aircraft is certified by an airworthiness authority, or is given a flight permit, it is airworthy (in a limited fashion when on a flight permit). Airworthy means « safe to fly ».

I thought the V-22 was much easier to fly the any other helos I had flown before!
Probably because the flight controls were designed primarily by fixed-wing folks. A friend who flew 22s for VMX-1 regularly cursed the control quadrant and the forward/down=power increase, which is of course 180° from helicopter’s collective control…and also counter to human factors conventions when in vertical mode with the nacelles rotated up. I’ve only flown the 22 sim down in Hurlbert and was not a fan of the controls.

If an aircraft is certified by an airworthiness authority, or is given a flight permit, it is airworthy (in a limited fashion when on a flight permit). Airworthy means « safe to fly ».
I did not mean “technically difficult to fly”, I meant technically difficult to build and maintain.

Back