• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Government Remembrance Day Messages, 2006

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Message from Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General of Canada on the occasion of Remembrance Day
Governor General's web page, 7 Nov 06
Statement

“A symbol of the tremendous dedication and valiant courage of our fallen soldiers, the poppy is worn today as a sign of remembrance of the terrible price paid on the battlefields to ensure our precious freedom.

It is a simple flower worn close to our hearts, for we have not forgotten that thousands of men and women, many of whom had not yet reached the age of 20, left everything behind. They risked everything to give us the chance to live as we do today, in a country where we are free to pursue our most ambitious dreams, limited only by our imaginations.

With an incredible openness of heart and mind, they made the ultimate sacrifice and gave their lives in the effort. Their bravery and commitment deserve not only our admiration, but also our full recognition and deepest gratitude. It is now our turn to ensure that this freedom and peace triumph over the tyranny and madness that gripped the last century.

On Remembrance Day, let us teach our children and future generations to cherish the invaluable legacy they have left to us. Let us take a moment to pause and reflect on this with those around us. And may every poppy keep that memory alive.”

Remembrance Day Statement by the Prime Minister
Prime Minister's web page, 11 Nov 06
Statement

Prime Minister Stephen Harper today issued the following statement to mark the 88th occasion of Remembrance Day:

“On this solemn day, Canadians gather together to honour the soldiers, sailors and airmen and women, who served and continue to serve our country, and we pause to remember the more than 116,000 men and women who have laid down their lives in defence of Canada.

Today, as Canadians have done for the past 88 years, we pay tribute to the sacrifice made by generations of Canadian military personnel for the protection of our fundamental values and thank them for our freedom. 

“November 11 is a time to mourn. It is also a time to celebrate the proud military traditions of our great country.  Canada has always answered the call to stand up for freedom, democracy, human rights and rule of law.  Our commitment to these values is being tested yet again in Afghanistan, and Canadians are rightly proud of the work our brave soldiers are doing to help those less fortunate than us.  Their courage and devotion to duty inspires us all. 

“I know I speak for all Canadians in expressing unequivocal support and heartfelt gratitude to all our troops and their families.  We are holding the torch high.  The Canadian heroes who lie beneath the poppies in Flanders fields can rest in peace.”

Remembrance Day Message from Defence Minister Gordon O’Connor
Canadian Forces web page, undated
Statement

November 11th is Canada's 88th day of remembrance—marking the end of the First World War and commemorating the sacrifices of our fallen soldiers, sailors, airmen and women, and war veterans. We also pay our respects and offer our thanks to our currentserving members deployed around the world, and we appreciate the support of their families, friends and loved ones.

I have had the privilege of meeting many of our Canadian Forces personnel from across our country—their families and friends included. And everyday I am reminded of the tremendous sacrifices made by the brave men and women who proudly wear the uniform of the Canadian Forces.

I would like to pay tribute to the Canadian Forces members who have made the ultimate sacrifice over the course of the past year while serving their country on operations in Canada and around the world. I have supported and stood with their families and close friends. Despite the grief and hardship they have endured and must live with, they recognize the importance of the work of the Canadian Forces.

As Defence Minister, I’ve met twice with our troops in Afghanistan. They are justifiably proud of what they are doing, and they believe in their mission. It’s in our national interest to ensure Afghanistan never again becomes a haven for international terrorists to threaten global security. That’s why, at this moment, courageous men and women in desert camouflage are rooting out terrorism at its source and protecting Canada.

In profound ways, there are common threads that tie their work to that of their predecessors. Like the Canadians who served and fell in the mud and fields of Flanders and France, the soldiers who are fighting amidst the sand and dust of Panjwayi District are dedicated to building a stable, free country where people have the hope of a better future. Like the airmen who flew in the darkened skies of Europe during the Second World War, those who fly into Kandahar Airfield know that their mission is an important one, and one that requires a certain skill and professionalism even under the most demanding of circumstances. Like the sailors who hunted an unseen enemy in the cruel seas, the sailors and aviators now patrolling distant waters are demonstrating the valour and determination that Canadians are known for around the world. And like the soldiers who fought in the bone-chilling mountains and ravines of Korea, the men and women who are rooting out the Taliban from the vineyards of southern Afghanistan, understand that safeguarding our freedom at home sometimes means helping stamp out tyranny abroad.

We must always remember the debt we owe to our veterans. They embody our common values and highest ideals. They have given so much to a grateful nation.

On Remembrance Day, pay tribute to those who have given their lives in the service of Canada. Reflect on the difference Canadian soldiers have made in the past and are making today in places like Afghanistan. Our veterans have left us a proud legacy. May their memory serve as an inspiration to us all.

Lest we forget.

---

Remembrance Day Message from Gen Rick Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff
Canadian Forces web page, undated
Statement

For generations, Canadian men and women in uniform have demonstrated their commitment and their willingness to fight when necessary for our interests and values.

On this day of remembrance and commemoration, the heroic deeds of those who once wore the Canadian uniform can only inspire us as we face today’s challenges. This has been a notable year for the Canadian Forces, just as 1917 was for a previous generation of Canadians.

At Vimy Ridge, four divisions of the Canadian Corps— operating together for the first time—fought with resolve and valour against a determined enemy. Vimy is widely regarded as a part of Canada’s coming of age—a place where our soldiers’ heroism and bravery was hailed both at home and by our allies.

In Afghanistan, in other parts of the world, across this continent and through this country, your work echoes the courage and tenacity of your predecessors of some 90 years ago.You are working to preserve our way of life. You are fighting for the principles we all believe in.You are serving as Canadians.

There is no doubt that this has been a challenging year for each and every one of you. As Chief of the Defence Staff, I can only be proud of the work that you have done for Canada.Your efforts are resonating across this great country. From coast to coast to coast, Canadians are wearing red in support of your work. But this simple tribute—coming at this time of year—also gives the people of Canada cause to reflect on the legacy of your predecessors in uniform.

On November 11th—whether you stand at a local cenotaph in the crisp autumn air or at the Canadian monument at Kandahar Airfield—I know you will be thinking of your comrades and friends who have sacrificed so much to give Canadians the freedom we enjoy today.

I also know that your hearts will be reaching out to the families of Canadian personnel who have recently lost their loved ones. Throughout, they have shown a level of dignity, commitment and grace that is an inspiration to us all.

Like them, we cannot and will not forget that our freedom has come at a steep price. It is a sacrifice that will be remembered for generations and that will forever make us proud.

Just thought that I would upload a copy of the Nov 11th Letter from the Prime Minister that I read at the Remembrance Day Ceremonies in Amherst, Nova Scotia yesterday in case any of you are interested.

Vern

Nov11thLetterpage1e.jpg

Nov11thLetterpage1_0001.jpg

And people wonder why I beam with pride more often?  ;D

It's so nice to have a PM that isn't trying to straddle the fence and appeal to everyone at the same time.  In my short time on this Earth, I have never seen or heard a PM take such a strong and decisive leadership role, and acknowledge our history as Prime Minister Harper has.

Thank you Prime Minister, for making me proud to be Canadian again.

:cdn: :salute:

Well written words, both from the PM and the Padre.  I knew LCol Fletcher many years ago when he was a first year cadet at RMC ca 1980.

Well spoken Mr. Harper.  Thanks for putting the focus back on the military after we have languished in the political wilderness for twenty years.  I am proud of our Prime Minister for his forceful and direct commitment to the military.  :salute:

"It is now our turn to ensure that this freedom and peace triumph over the tyranny and madness that gripped the last century."

This was a very clever and apolitical way of messaging to the the CF "You are doing your duty, I know it, and this is what is at stake."

From what I understand about the GG, she means what she says on this subject - so I would say she is following the general intent of her predecessor.

Good on her.  :salute:

Back