• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Great videos to increase your strenght and health

metilhed

Inactive
Reaction score
I though I would just throw it out there that there are some workout videos called P90X floating out there that are insane! I know, your thinking workout videos forget that, but in all honesty if you follow these vids you will greatly increase .... well everything. Follow the routines and tie it with proper nutrition and in 3 months youll be ripped.

One of the things i like about this series is it involves little equipment, so you can litterally to it anywhere, whenever you have time. Check them out, i found some available for download on some torrent site.

-Metilhed-

P90X isn't new, pretty sure we've all seen the ads on TV, etc.  Its not bad I guess if you want to supplement other work outs but I would never just use P90X as the only work out you do, atleast if you are training for or are already in the Army.

I don't think anyone will disagree that P90X will get you looking good for the beach.  I'd even go so far as to say that for most people can make big gains in overall fitness on the P90X system.

But is it the most effective way for soldiers to train?  From my limited exposure to P90X, I'd say there are better systems out there.  For one thing, soldiers need to ruck (an area not even addressed by Crossfit).  Also, I believe that soldiers can make tremendous gains in "military fitness" through the proper application of barbell and other weight training exercises - something that just doesn't fit into P90X's "do-it-at-home" marketing niche.

Just to chime in, I've tried many fitness routines, looking for one that works the best for me.

However, a personal trainer made me a fairly simple routine that he would suggest would work best for anybody.

2 days a week of something like CrossFit (aerobic exercises), and 3 days a week of weight lifting. Add some jogging to that, and I think it's perfect.

The fact is, you can't get the same benefits out of an aerobic exercise as you would simply lifting weights, so if you combine the two, you get a very well rounded routine.

2 days a week of something like CrossFit (aerobic exercises), and 3 days a week of weight lifting. Add some jogging to that, and I think it's perfect.

The fact is, you can't get the same benefits out of an aerobic exercise as you would simply lifting weights, so if you combine the two, you get a very well rounded routine.

A common misconception.

Only about a third of Crossfit is aerobic exercise. The other two thirds are strength and work capacity based.  The general popularity of Crossfit is in it's anti-specialization philosophy. Take a look at the past week's workouts from Crossfit.com:

http://www.crossfit.com/
9 Oct 09: aerobic
8 Oct 09: work capacity and aerobic
7 Oct 09: strength
6 Oct 09: rest
5 Oct 09: strength and work capacity
4 Oct 09: Work capacity
3 Oct 09: aerobic
2 Oct 09: rest

For the record, my own opinions of Crossfit have mellowed somewhat since I last spoke about the program on Army.ca.  These days I'm thinking that some degree of specialization is necessary for soldiers. Crossfit, after all, doesn't incorporate ruck marching.

My point is just that alot of people think that Circuit Training = Crossfit, which is just not the case.  Crossfit is designed to create an athlete that is equal parts Olympic Weightlifter, Gymnast, and 800m Sprinter.

ya i agree with you all.

I weight train some days, and then on off days i do the p90x stuff.  Finding the right balance that suits your needs is key i guess.

Wonderbread said:
A common misconception.

Only about a third of Crossfit is aerobic exercise. The other two thirds are strength and work capacity based.  The general popularity of Crossfit is in it's anti-specialization philosophy. Take a look at the past week's workouts from Crossfit.com:

http://www.crossfit.com/
9 Oct 09: aerobic
8 Oct 09: work capacity and aerobic
7 Oct 09: strength
6 Oct 09: rest
5 Oct 09: strength and work capacity
4 Oct 09: Work capacity
3 Oct 09: aerobic
2 Oct 09: rest

For the record, my own opinions of Crossfit have mellowed somewhat since I last spoke about the program on Army.ca.  These days I'm thinking that some degree of specialization is necessary for soldiers. Crossfit, after all, doesn't incorporate ruck marching.

My point is just that alot of people think that Circuit Training = Crossfit, which is just not the case.  Crossfit is designed to create an athlete that is equal parts Olympic Weightlifter, Gymnast, and 800m Sprinter.
That's fair. But why would Crossfit incorporate ruck marching? That particular attribute isn't really useful to anybody except for members of the military. Does any other civilian workout programs incorporate it?

From what I've been told, Crossfit is structured around a military workout, and adapted for civilian athletic use. I'm definitely not a fitness trainer so I don't know, but would it be realistic that we would be able to adapt it back to military use? I.E. incorporate ruck marching?

Crossfit is a civilian invention.  It's founder, Greg Glassman, was a gymnast before anything else.

The stated goal of Crossfit is increase your General Physical Preparedness (GPP).  The term GPP is just Crossfit jargon for "competent in all areas of fitness" or simply just "In good all around shape".  They break it down into 10 areas of fitness, but really, for the layman, that's all it is.

Being a marathon runner does a firefighter no good if he can't carry someone out of a burning building.  The cop with the biggest muscles is useless if he can't run down a criminal over two city blocks.  In the military, we prepare for the unknown, and our what we consider to be "fit" needs to reflect that. The "anti-specialization" philosophy is what makes Crossfit attractive to soldiers and emergency services.

But consider some of the offshoots of Crossfit: www.crossfitendurance.com and www.crossfitfootball.com.  These sites were started by people who liked the Crossfit method, but see the need for some specialization in order to compete at specific sports.  Marathon runners want a brand of Crossfit that emphasizes the endurance aspect and football players want a brand of Crossfit that would build more mass.  Crossfit might be ideal for someone who just wants to be in good general shape, but those with sport specific goals require sport specific training.  Even some of the most famous Crossfitters like Josh Everett supplement Crossfit with training specific to their chosen sport.  In his case, it's Olympic lifting.

Enter Rob Shaul and his website www.militaryathlete.com.  I was first turned on to militaryathlete by biosci in the "Crossfit and the CF" thread here on army.ca.  Looking into it I think it's superior to Crossfit for our uses.  Why? Because it's Crossfit tailored to army guys.  Ruck marching is built right into the program.  There is a heavy emphasis on durability training.  The more technical Crossfit exercises like double-unders and handstand pushups fall to the side and more emphasis is put on strength building barbell exercises.  It's like sport specific training, only the sport is deployment.

I've seen Crossfit used as PT at the unit level for extended periods (months) with ruck marching worked in based on a common sense approach.  In my opinion, it worked well, but I still think militaryathlete wins based on the physiotherapy exercises regularly used in the program.  As well, If you read the Q&A emails Rob Shaul posts on the website, you really see that he's a man on a mission.  Unlike the personalities found in mainstream Crossfit, Mr Shaul comes off as a really humble guy who's just looking to support the troops in the best way he knows how.  He's open minded in his training theories, and he's quick to point out that not everything works for everyone.

I highly recommend militaryathlete.com

Military Athelete is a good program

Another similar one is brassringfitness.com

Back