• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Grounds for medical release?

alyalyalycat

Inactive
Reaction score
::) Question:

Can you be released from the military (medical grounds) for something like an inguinal hernia? I believe it can be fixed via surgery and there is no ongoing pharmocological interventions involved. I can't see it making someone undeployable...But I am not sure how medical release works...

Thanks for your input all. :salute:

Unless something really bad has happened in the 4 months since I got out, they'll send you for surgery to get it repaired.  Depending on the degree of the hernia and your job, you'll likely be able to be deployed as long a there is an ability to provide surgical care for you if it becomes strangulated.  I wouldn't be making any release plans in the near future.

MM

I won't say you can't be released for it, as that is beyond my knowledge. I can tell you that I wasn't. I had bi-lateral inguinal hernias, went for the day surgery had some light duties and physio. Back to full duty in about 4 months, full strength about 6 months.

This was my case, and results may vary, but for me, having the repair done was a fairly straight forward process. Whatever you do, don't brush this off and try to suck it up. It will only get worse, and the risks can be pretty freaky. Get it looked at.

Hope this helps.

Agreed with everythign Gumby said.

From my surgical experience, had the hernia fixed in Feb, was deployed in Aug, no problems during work up training or DAGing green at all.

Wook

Had one subordinate go through the same situation (he told me about it; Health Services only tells your chain of command that you're on light duties, and what those limitations are).

He decided, in retrospect, that running a marathon six weeks after the surgery was "a bad idea".

Back