• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Helicopters start rescue efforts after landslide traps hundreds on B.C. highway

1st flight was 3 griffins, still got to get the rest of the kit there too
Makes sense. I have no idea what kind of ‘parts package’ a three ship move of griffins entails, but I imagine it’s a lot.

Okay I had no idea till now that Abbotsford was built on a drained lake, in hind sight that was a pretty poor plan. With more rain on the way this is going to get uglier

So if they’re flooding soldiers in to fix the dike, is that a levee en masse?

Modernfamily GIF by ABC Network

During a prolonged emergency affecting grid (delivery), EVs would gradually become more useless. ICEs in absence of fuel delivery would also be limited, but gas is easier to swap between vehicles.
EV's burn electricity just sitting there, particularly when it's cold, so an area without power for a substantial amount of time is going to see a lot of dead EV's. If I lived in the interior, i might buy a Hybrid, but not an EV.

EV's burn electricity just sitting there, particularly when it's cold, so an area without power for a substantial amount of time is going to see a lot of dead EV's. If I lived in the interior, i might buy a Hybrid, but not an EV.
Fact check: my battery heater comes on if the battery itself (which has a lot of thermal mass) gets below -25. I had it in Winnipeg for 2 years and it never came on at all the entire time. Phantom drain we’re talking like 1% a day, so if it lasts like a month it will start to become an issue. If you run all the cameras on a Tesla it can be a problem but you can turn those off.

Fact check: my battery heater comes on if the battery itself (which has a lot of thermal mass) gets below -25. I had it in Winnipeg for 2 years and it never came on at all the entire time. Phantom drain we’re talking like 1% a day, so if it lasts like a month it will start to become an issue. If you run all the cameras on a Tesla it can be a problem but you can turn those off.
If you got caught in a snowstorm, blocked between landslides, or something like that, how long could you simply sit there and keep the heater running in -20 so you don't freeze?

If you got caught in a snowstorm, blocked between landslides, or something like that, how long could you simply sit there and keep the heater running in -20 so you don't freeze?
Where is there landslides at -20? They almost all have heat pumps now, so pick a more reasonable temperature like freezing level and it will last days. Long after everyone is out of gasoline.

Where is there landslides at -20? They almost all have heat pumps now, so pick a more reasonable temperature like freezing level and it will last days. Long after everyone is out of gasoline.
Sorry, I'm out in Ontario and was more thinking 'caught in a blizzard' scenario. I'm wondering how long a modern EV with a battery in good shape will last compared to a car or SUV with a full tank of gas, if the task is to prevent you becoming an icicle.

This isn't a challenge. Genuine curiosity borne of ignorance of EVs.

Sorry, I'm out in Ontario and was more thinking 'caught in a blizzard' scenario. I'm wondering how long a modern EV with a battery in good shape will last compared to a car or SUV with a full tank of gas, if the task is to prevent you becoming an icicle.

This isn't a challenge. Genuine curiosity borne of ignorance of EVs.
OK, that makes more sense. If you have an older one, like an early Leaf, they have a pretty small battery (24 kWh) and the heater at full blast runs 3 kW, so if you were to crank it you could drain it in 8 hours, I’ve never tried it. The short range model 3 has a 53.6 kWh battery, I know it has a heat pump that’s supposed to be fairly efficient but I have no idea how much power it’s using. The difference from your gas car is that it’s not creating heat as a by-product so it’s instant and the higher temp you select the more power it’s going to use.

Edit: if you can find a regular 120v outlet that runs at 1.3 kw, painful to add enough to drive anywhere but it will run a heater reasonably well.

Last edited:
I just know from my reading is that a Tesla over a cold winter, outside on 110v will not be able to charge enough to stay ahead of parasite drain.

I just know from my reading is that a Tesla over a cold winter, outside on 110v will not be able to charge enough to stay ahead of parasite drain.
Sentry mode apparently uses a lot of juice, I don’t have one but from what I understand it’s watching for and recording vandals and it can be turned on and off. Presumably you wouldn’t need that in a snowstorm or other emergency.
I left my Leaf unplugged in the garage in Winnipeg in Jan for 8 days, it would have been right around the freezing level, I think I lost 1 or 2 percent, I remember it was a lot less than I expected. I had a trickle charger on the 12v so that would have stopped the car from topping that up but it would not have charged the main battery.
Edit: Bjorn (does a ton of Tesla reviews/testing) lost 10% in 22 days, doesn’t give a temp but it was snowing. He lives in Norway. Bjorn Article

Last edited:
Follow on forces have begun deploying, the rest of LdSH(RC) loaded up this morning to head to BC, anyone hear if BC reservists have been called on yet?

It's started...

‘They drained us’: Burnaby man says gas thieves siphoned street amid restrictions​

John went to his car on a South Burnaby street Saturday morning and saw something weird.

The flap on his gas tank was open.

“I thought that I must’ve left it open when I filled up on Friday night,” he said. “I was wrong.”

Instead, John saw that the plastic cover on the gas tank was also open. That’s when he realized something was really wrong.

“When I fired up my car, my gauge said my gas tank was on empty,” said John, who doesn’t want to identify the street in case other thieves get any bright ideas. “Someone had siphoned out all of the gas. I got out and took a look around and saw the flaps open on most of the cars on our street. They drained us.”

John admits he raced to the gas station Friday night after the provincial government announced restricted access to gas for 10-11 days in some parts of B.C.

Mike Farnworth, B.C.’s minister of public safety and solicitor general, said access to gas will be prioritized for emergency and essential vehicles, granting them unrestricted access to gas using commercial card-lock stations. Non-essential vehicles used by average British Columbian will be restricted to 30 litres of gas per visit in southwestern B.C. (from Metro Vancouver east to Hope), Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast.

“I guess I shouldn’t be surprised,” John said. “Gas just became that much more valuable and so you get people stealing it. It’s a pretty sad situation. Of course, I didn’t follow the 30-litre thing so I maybe this is karma.”

It's started...

‘They drained us’: Burnaby man says gas thieves siphoned street amid restrictions​

John went to his car on a South Burnaby street Saturday morning and saw something weird.

The flap on his gas tank was open.

“I thought that I must’ve left it open when I filled up on Friday night,” he said. “I was wrong.”

Instead, John saw that the plastic cover on the gas tank was also open. That’s when he realized something was really wrong.

“When I fired up my car, my gauge said my gas tank was on empty,” said John, who doesn’t want to identify the street in case other thieves get any bright ideas. “Someone had siphoned out all of the gas. I got out and took a look around and saw the flaps open on most of the cars on our street. They drained us.”

John admits he raced to the gas station Friday night after the provincial government announced restricted access to gas for 10-11 days in some parts of B.C.

Mike Farnworth, B.C.’s minister of public safety and solicitor general, said access to gas will be prioritized for emergency and essential vehicles, granting them unrestricted access to gas using commercial card-lock stations. Non-essential vehicles used by average British Columbian will be restricted to 30 litres of gas per visit in southwestern B.C. (from Metro Vancouver east to Hope), Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast.

“I guess I shouldn’t be surprised,” John said. “Gas just became that much more valuable and so you get people stealing it. It’s a pretty sad situation. Of course, I didn’t follow the 30-litre thing so I maybe this is karma.”

The logistics of that is… they had to have had a slip tank, presumably they’re going to sell it but how do you even do that?

What happened to locking fuel doors when the car’s locked?

Back