• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Helicopters start rescue efforts after landslide traps hundreds on B.C. highway

Locking doors are about as good as locking lug nuts. If thieves want it, they’ll get it.
Absolutely, and of they are good, they can move fast. Unless police step up patrols, there isn't much to deter, or catch

Which means they were pros, with high-flow electric boost pumps rigged on a mini-blivet in a stealthed car…probably a minivan camouflaged like a taxi so late night wouldn’t look suspicious. Probably looked like an F1 pit stop but in reverse…

What happened to locking fuel doors when the car’s locked?
If it is like my jeep, it is not lockable. You just push on it and it opens, doesn't even have a gas cap that you could lock. Now I am lucky as I have a garage that I keep my jeep in so that provides some deterrent, but as said if they really want to they could get at it.

It ain't over till it's over.... and it ain't over:

Highway 3 closed again after mudslide east of Manning Park​

There's no estimated time of reopening.

A new washout has closed Highway 3 between Hope and Princeton.

DriveBC says the critical link is now closed in both directions due to a mudslide seven kilometres east of Manning Park.

Details are limited, but roads contractor Emil Anderson said on social media that crews are responding and traffic is being stopped at both ends.

There is no estimated time of reopening. There is no detour available.

The Hope-Princeton Highway has been the designated route for commercial vehicle traffic between the Lower Mainland and the B.C. Interior since Friday. Usage of the corridor has been limited to essential travel only.

Highway 99, the Duffey Lake Road, remains open and is now the only link between the Lower Mainland and Interior.

It ain't over till it's over.... and it ain't over:

Highway 3 closed again after mudslide east of Manning Park​

There's no estimated time of reopening.

A new washout has closed Highway 3 between Hope and Princeton.

DriveBC says the critical link is now closed in both directions due to a mudslide seven kilometres east of Manning Park.

Details are limited, but roads contractor Emil Anderson said on social media that crews are responding and traffic is being stopped at both ends.

There is no estimated time of reopening. There is no detour available.

The Hope-Princeton Highway has been the designated route for commercial vehicle traffic between the Lower Mainland and the B.C. Interior since Friday. Usage of the corridor has been limited to essential travel only.

Highway 99, the Duffey Lake Road, remains open and is now the only link between the Lower Mainland and Interior.

I wonder if the main body out of Edmonton made it through yet?

I wonder if the main body out of Edmonton made it through yet?

I just watched the news and they've opened up single lane alternating traffic through that slide on Hwy 3, so they should be able to get through.

However, starting Wednesday, we're back into 'belt fed storms' mode with over 100mm of rain forecast over about 4 or 5 days. Not as bad as the biblical event last week, but the ground is already waterlogged so all bets are off....

I just watched the news and they've opened up single lane alternating traffic through that slide on Hwy 3, so they should be able to get through.

However, starting Wednesday, we're back into 'belt fed storms' mode with over 100mm of rain forecast over about 4 or 5 days. Not as bad as the biblical event last week, but the ground is already waterlogged so all bets are off....
Most likely / most dangerous at this point?

Most likely / most dangerous at this point?

Prince Rupert and area are headed for 150mm over a short period of time and, further south, it will be slightly less and spread over a few days. Snow is forecast for the Coq and environs, up to about 30cms, but that will melt pretty fast adding to the water load.

We're looking at a pretty big mess, on top of a mess, I'm guessing.

Incoming 'parade of storms' bad news for flood-soaked B.C.​

A "parade of storms" headed for southwest British Columbia could worsen flooding and mudslide conditions within the week, according to the meteorologist responsible for warning preparedness at Environment and Climate Change Canada.

Armel Castellan said the first storm system, expected to arrive Thursday, won't bring rains as heavy as those that triggered widespread destruction last week.

However, the precipitation will be significant enough to "exacerbate the vulnerabilities on the ground currently," he said.

"With the Thursday system, it is an atmospheric river, tapping into some subtropical moisture and heat. It's going to bring freezing levels [on mountains] up to 2,500 metres, so fairly high — there will be some snow melt with this moisture," he said.

Castellan predicts 40 to 70 millimetres falling in the flood-soaked Fraser Valley, and upwards of 100 millimetres on the North Shore mountains and Howe Sound.

After that system is tapped out, another atmospheric river is expected to follow in short order, hitting Saturday afternoon.

Castellan said with some areas already at 200 per cent the normal seasonal rainfall, the worry is the incoming rain will be falling on terrain that is already saturated. On hillsides, that means a greater likelihood of water running downhill and causing mudslides and valley flooding.

"I would just caution that we are dealing with very active weather for the foreseeable future," he said.

A series of warnings and special weather statements is also in effect for the northern half of the province, primarily for dangerously strong winds and snowfall.

And snowfall warnings have been issued for the Fraser Valley and Fraser Canyon, which have already been pummeled by relentless rain and impacted by highway closures.

We don’t seem to do disaster response well in this country.
No kidding. Politicians are loath to spend money on things that don't have a calculated 'vote benefit'. Spending money on equipment stores (remember PPE stockpiles?) or adequate personnel or systems to adequately surge always fail in the face of the thousand other things that researchers and polls tell them the public wants. Maybe - hopefully - as events become more frequent they will read the tea leaves that the public wants this. Or they will just hope it doesn't happen until the next government is in power.

Which means they were pros, with high-flow electric boost pumps rigged on a mini-blivet in a stealthed car…probably a minivan camouflaged like a taxi so late night wouldn’t look suspicious. Probably looked like an F1 pit stop but in reverse…
Or a guy in an EV...

Everyone on the Coast is looking forward to the next 'storm parade' like an impending trip to the gallows:

Heavy storms headed for southwest B.C., threatening recovery from floods and landslides​

Up to 80 mm of rain forecast for parts of the province's South Coast on Thursday​

Provincial ministers provide update on state of emergency in B.C.​

THE LATEST:

As B.C. moves forward on recovering from severe flooding that forced the evacuation of thousands last week, another series of storms is in the forecast, which could set progress back.

That's not good....

Refinery that supplies estimated one-third of Lower Mainland gas runs out of crude oil​

Three of the main ways gas is supplied to the Lower Mainland and elsewhere in B.C. were disrupted by the flooding.

VANCOUVER — A refinery that supplies an estimated one-third of the gas to the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island said Tuesday it has stopped processing operations because it had run out of crude oil due to the Trans Mountain pipeline shutdown after last week’s catastrophic flooding.

Calgary-based Parkland Corp.’s Burnaby refinery is now in “standby mode,” so that it can resume processing quickly once new shipments of crude arrive via the pipeline or rail.

“Parkland maintains some crude-oil storage on-site, so up until today, it has been able to continue operations,” said Kent Fellows, a professor at the University of Calgary’s School of Public Policy

He said there is storage of crude oil as well as gasoline and diesel in the Lower Mainland that can be relied upon in the short run, but he hasn’t been able to find data on how much storage there is or how full it was before the flooding.

Three of the main ways gas is supplied to the Lower Mainland and elsewhere in B.C. were disrupted by the flooding.

“Trans Mountain would also normally be shipping about 27,000 barrels per day of gasoline and diesel from refineries near Edmonton to the Lower Mainland in B.C.,” said Fellows.

Back