• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Help with changing marital status

Duredain

Inactive
Reaction score
Background: We moved in together in Dec 2010, I swore in and started basic last October. As she is in school, I am currently paying the majority of our bills (wasn't a problem when I was making more money, it is now as bills are > the income for a single private paying rations and not getting sep pay) and I asked my recruitment center if I would be able to change my marital status in December; they said it would not be a problem. In St. Jean, I tried to change my marital status and was told just to do it at my next unit as that would not be a problem and I would receive back-pay dating to December for my rations and possibly sep pay. I have been on PAT at my next unit for a month now and I was told the other day that I will not be able to change my marital status until my next unit and we co-habitate for another two months. I also recall (although I am not 100% on this one) being told that even getting married wouldn't really help until I get to my next unit; I am going to be here for over a year.

This poses a huge problem for me. I was told by both the recruitment center and St. Jean that it would not be a problem for me to change my marital status when the time came and I budgeted appropriately. I will be out of money in a couple months (at most) if I am not granted a status change and no longer have to pay rations.

After being denied a status change I immediately put in a memo appealing to the OC but if this fails I am basically screwed. I will have no choice but to either VR or have her quit school and work full-time, neither of which I see as an option.

My question is this: If my memo does not obtain approval for a status change and free rations, what is my best course of action? Is there anything that I can do besides a memo that would help me out? I have barely been in for 6 months and I am not going to pretend to know any/all of the tricks. The only reason I am asking right now instead of waiting for my memo to be processed is because I leave for SQ right away and I will not hear anything for over a month so I would like to be as prepared as possible in the event of a failure. Thank you for any and all help.

In order to declare Common-Law you must be living together as husband and wife for 12 months.  Proof will be required such as phone bills, lease, etc that are in both your names.  So in your case your one year mark was in Dec 2011.  Had you got married or declared common law prior to joining it wouldn't be an issue, but because this is happening after you joined there will be little or no benefits available to you until after your first posting. 

Are you renting an apartment for your gf or do you own a house?

I have all the proof required; the issue is that I was told going to basic before 12 months passed would not be an issue by multiple people in different units. If I would have been told when I asked the clerks at the RC, I would have held off joining until I had my common-law.

We are renting and paying less than market value. The chances of finding a cheaper place are fairly slim.

Back