• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Help with WW1 Medal Card

MMSS

Reaction score
I recently received my great-grandfather's service record from WW1 and have been working my way through it. I was wondering if someone could help me with deciphering his medal card (see attached)

I am fairly certain that the handwritten "BV" with the check through it stands for the British War Medal and Victory Medal which were awarded to most soldiers. I also suspect that the red inscription at the top left reads "MiD" as he was mentioned in despatches (by Sir Douglas Haig) which is documented by another card. Other papers are also stamped in several places that he received the War Service Badge Class A.

What I am not sure of is the "A. M. M." at top left. The only abbreviation that I can find that might explain this is "awarded Military Medal" however I am not at all certain of this. My mother does remember hearing stories of various actions and her grandfather was involved with that may have qualified him for additional medals however I cannot readily check - his medals and other memorabilia were either passed to one of his sons or else thrown out by my great-grandmother, although I believe that there is a picture of him in uniform that I am trying to get a copy of.

If anyone can help me with this card or else is interested in seeing more of the service record please let me know.

From Ted Wigney's Mention in Despatches of the CEF:

• 488208 2/Cpl M.S. Binet, #1 Tram Coy, attached CC HQ, was awarded an MiD.  It was published in the London Gazette #31448 dated 8 Jul 1919.

The crossed off "BV" does indicate his British War Medal and Victory Medal were issued. 

Searches of the London Gazette do not appear to indicate the award of a Military Medal.  I have searched for both his surname and his service number.

I have checked the medal cards for a number of soldiers in my files, including some MM recipients, each card has initials in that corner, they appear to be the initials of a clerk or someone who has reviewed the card and not connected with the soldier's medals and awards. You can try asking on the CEF Study Group forum to see if any researchers there have seem the "a.m.m." notation before. 

My pages here may also be of use in your developing research: Researching Canadian Soldiers of the First World War

Michael O'Leary said:
From Ted Wigney's Mention in Despatches of the CEF:

• 488208 2/Cpl M.S. Binet, #1 Tram Coy, attached CC HQ, was awarded an MiD.  It was published in the London Gazette #31448 dated 8 Jul 1919.

As mentioned there is another card attached in the file indicating this. I couldn't find the Gazette issue however so thanks immensely for that.

Michael O'Leary said:
The crossed off "BV" does indicate his British War Medal and Victory Medal were issued. 

I thought so based on your page however good to get the confirmation. I know he was at the front so it makes sense.

Michael O'Leary said:
Searches of the London Gazette do not appear to indicate the award of a Military Medal.  I have searched for both his surname and his service number.

I also searched using both name and number however they mention that the OCR is not always perfect so thought it was worth looking.

Michael O'Leary said:
I have checked the medal cards for a number of soldiers in my files, including some MM recipients, each card has initials in that corner, they appear to be the initials of a clerk or someone who has reviewed the card and not connected with the soldier's medals and awards. You can try asking on the CEF Study Group forum to see if any researchers there have seem the "a.m.m." notation before. 

This is exactly the information I was looking for - I wasn't able to otherwise identify "AMM" with any award so that makes sense that it is a clerk or other administration mark.

Michael O'Leary said:
My pages here may also be of use in your developing research: Researching Canadian Soldiers of the First World War

I did in fact find your page which helped me in identifying much of the record. My great-grandfather died several months before I was born so I was never able to meet him (though I do share his middle name.) After receiving the record I printed a copy for my parents and my mother was thrilled. Thanks for the help. :)

Back