• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Algonquin

chadk

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi out there.  I have been posted to the Alqonquin and was hoping there might be someone that could tell me about her. 

chadk said:
Hi out there.  I have been posted to the Alqonquin and was hoping there might be someone that could tell me about her.

She caught fire on my first day at sea...

The crew likes to pick on NCdt's... (some funny stuff though and was kinda expected)

They like to play binder clipper wars...

Anything else?  :D

I only spent a little over a month on her so I'm not the best person if your looking for more detailed info/more recent info.

Try a google search, lots of info there. Their CO is Tim Kerr an excellent guy.

Sounds like an intersting ship....even if you only spent a limited time on her.  I am hoping to find out a bit more about the camaraderie aboard, maybe a bit about her crew.  How easy going the crew is, etc.

Any Stewards from the Algonquin around here?

You can also take a look here, http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/algonquin/0/0-s_eng.asp for more information about the HMCS Algonquin.  It's one of my choices.

chadk said:
Sounds like an intersting ship....even if you only spent a limited time on her.  I am hoping to find out a bit more about the camaraderie aboard, maybe a bit about her crew.  How easy going the crew is, etc.

I'm on the Algonquin.  I'm fairly new onboard.  The first thing I noticed was how tight the crew is.  There's a lot of good people. 
Although I would have preferred to stay on a Frigate, the crew has made the posting enjoyable.

The CO is awesome.  He was my XO on HMCS Winnipeg.

When do you get here?

Jaydub said:
I'm on the Algonquin.  I'm fairly new onboard.  The first thing I noticed was how tight the crew is.  There's a lot of good people. 
Although I would have preferred to stay on a Frigate, the crew has made the posting enjoyable.

The CO is awesome.  He was my XO on HMCS Winnipeg.

When do you get here?

Don't they let you inside?  You must get cold sometimes (and wet)!

The correct terminology folks is that we serve in ships.

"Don't they let you inside?  You must get cold sometimes (and wet)!

The correct terminology folks is that we serve in ships"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bit of a nitpick there, yes we serve in ships but who actually says "hey I'm in the Algonquin now...etc?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bit of a nitpick there, yes we serve in ships but who actually says "hey I'm in the Algonquin now...etc?"
[/quote]

Nobody does.  Because someone who says "the" is likely to say "on".  They either get it right or doubly wrong. 

Yes, I nitpick.  Such is my current lot in life. 

NavalMoose said:
"Don't they let you inside?  You must get cold sometimes (and wet)!

The correct terminology folks is that we serve in ships"

I have always referred to it as serving in ships.  I once had an XO who threatened that anyone who talked about serving on the ship would have to sling a hammock on the upper decks and would not longer be allowed inside.  He got his point across.  To paraphrase the Captain of COMPASS ROSE, it may be a small thing, but you may as well get it right.  Attention to detail is pretty important in the profession of arms.

Pusser said:
You disagree?

The details that mean life or death are important. The details that get someone paid or not are important. "Left" and "right" is important. "Do this" and "dont do this" is important......

"on" ships ot "in" ships......they both say "i sail in the Navy"................"on ships" isnt going to get somebody killed "profession of arms" or not.

Wether i say "i fly on airplanes" or "i fly in airplanes", you get what it is i do.

CDN Aviator said:
Wether i say "i fly on airplanes" or "i fly in airplanes", you get what it is i do.

Waaaaay too wordy! Why not just say "I fly airplanes"? ;)

Besides, didn't flying on airplanes disappear with the end of the "barnstormers at the local fair" era ?

I have been saying I am sailing on the HMCS Bloggins for years and have never been corrected. When I was RCD, I was a crewman on a Cougar or an M113. There were no corrections there either. I am more concerned on whether my sailors can do their job as an Operator as long as they do it correctly and accurately and when required to be a sailor if they can do so safely and correctly.

Pusser said "I once had an XO who threatened that anyone who talked about serving on the ship would have to sling a hammock on the upper decks and would not longer be allowed inside"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow, you must have joined when ships were wood and men were iron  :salute:

That's just going to lead to the inevitable debate "On Board" vs "Aboard".  ;D

Attention to detail is one thing, but holy "pepper vs. fly s**t", Batman....

Edited to add:  Someone better get the CF Info-Machine on that one....
http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/villedequebec/5/5-s_eng.asp
.... In 1989, I served on HMCS Gatineau for a period of 4 months prior to being selected for a posting to PARAMAX Montreal as an instructor for the new type of SONAR on the newly built Frigates ....

http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/cms/3/3-a_eng.asp?category=47&id=142
.... While serving as the ASW Director on HMCS FREDERICTON, one of the first females to serve on that ship, she was deployed on her second NATO tour ....

http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/halifax/2/2-s_eng.asp?category=232&title=1511
.... Before the news conference the Prime Minister met some of the sailors who serve on HALIFAX ....

Back