• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMS Terror Found in Terror Bay

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
The Franklin Expedition might have had a shot at success if Sir Franklin had bothered to consult with the Inuit about their route of travel. I suspect that they would have tried to convince Franklin not to try it. In the end he lost his ships,men and his own life. I would call it a failure of leadership and judgement. I hope in the coming seasons more clarity and maybe a decent burial for any remains that are found.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/article117386068.html

Almost two centuries ago, 134 men set sail on two British naval ships to discover the fabled Northwest Passage, a trade route through the Arctic linking Europe to the riches of the East. They never returned. The Inuit, native residents of the North, tell tales of the three-masted ships caught in ice and of men afflicted by scurvy and going hungry, until finally they broke the biggest taboo of humankind: cannibalism.

Despite search efforts, neither ship was found. It was not until 2014 that the first traces of the expedition emerged, when divers located a shipwreck that they identified as HMS Erebus, named after the spiritual limbo between Earth and hell. Last month, the second big piece of the mystery fell into place when an Inuit ranger and a team of explorers announced that they had located HMS Terror - in near-pristine condition, not far from the Erebus - at the bottom of the Northwest Passage.

HMS-TERROR

An illustration of the position of the HMS Terror at sunrise on July 14, 1837. Owen Stanley Library and Archives Canada

Back