• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How has your experience been?

JABAC

Inactive
Reaction score
As I have been reading through many posts and comments, I have gotten the sense that the experience of most people who have served with the Canadian Forces has been positive, more or less.  I am just wondering if this is actually the case or simply what I have chosen to view it as.  So, I am putting out the question, how has your experience been: throughout the training period, while deployed, serving with the military in general.  What has been encouraging, positive, fun and exciting...and what has been frustrating, detrimental, or negative.

I am asking this question simply out of an interest to gain insight into the attitudes of individuals serving with the CF and what their experiences have been like.  As I have seen it is rather common in other threads, I ask that you do not attack or criticize the responses of anyone as it is simply their personal experience and insight.

Rock on...I am interested and excited to see what you all will say!

Do you remember all those nasty mosquitoes from two years ago?  Do you remember all the good times you had two years ago?

I suppose that about says it, as simply as possible.

Heh.... Gagetown on my 6B course soooo many years ago
Cold and wet throughout the whole of the fall of 19XX.  Worn down with little or no chance of sleep, hammered upon with work, work and more work.  Started with 75 candidates and finished with 38.

Wasn't it grand!!!

I figure it depends on ones mindset.

I thrive on challenge. I also love the elements (wind rain snow).

I absolutely loved basic(and other) training (eventhough I thought it too.. wimpy?). The early mornings - the outrageous thrashings of our instructors - and the rigors of learning a new style of being.

I loved the structure and perceived organization of military life. I love the sense of pride I feel knowing I serve the greater good of our country.

But that is just me.

It was great, and it sucked.  It was the greatest decision of my life, and the stupidest thing I ever did.  It was very rewarding, and it was very unappreciated.  The greatest friendships of my life were formed, and the deepest betrayals of trust.... and that was just the first week.

Kat Stevens said:
It was great, and it sucked.  It was the greatest decision of my life, and the stupidest thing I ever did.  It was very rewarding, and it was very unappreciated.  The greatest friendships of my life were formed, and the deepest betrayals of trust.... and that was just the first week.

That sums up my experience as well.

Wow, it really sounds like the expereince of a lifetime!  I am really looking forward to when I can create my own memories and have experiences of my own.

As most would agree, Kat was bang on for me too... I would add "And i'm lovin' every minute of it..."

I've enjoyed my time, but not sure if I will make a career out of it.  :-\ I've been Navy League Cadets, USN Sea Cadets, Canadian Sea Cadets, at 16 I went Naval Reserve, at 17 Artillery, 5 years later Aero Engine Tech to Aviation Tech and served nearly 9 years out of Canada.  The reserve time was just a summer and change, however the other trades afforded much variety. 

As a Gunner I did many jobs in 5 years, from the gun line to the OP, QM and BSM's driver, driving M113, M109, jeep (before the Iltis) 3 quad,5 quad duece and a half, etc. My favorite was the CanAm 250 as a despatch rider where I was fairly free to write my own job description.

Remustering to the Airforce I have worked on many different ac, from 707s to fighters, AWACS and helicopters, travelled to Africa, Europe and S. America, been a Asst WCWO, ran the CF 18 engine test cell, flown from the back seat of the F5 and even went to the arctic with a few members of this board with Tac Hel. I now manage maintenance on the venerable Buffalo which is only 10 years younger than me.  By no means is this even close to a comprehensive list.  Just to point out that I am convinced that the variety of challenges and jobs are incredible.  The best slogan was "There's no life like it". 

Yes, there can be tough times, carrying a comrades casket, or leading a bearer party is both honour and heartbreak, getting chewed out cause you were stupid is just a blip in time. Fess up and move on.  Don't be afraid to stray out of your comfort zone and learn new things outside your trade.  You could be a PAffO for your unit, you can volunteer for Any Trade Required positions or you can get specialty courses. 

Well, that's enough out of me!!

Back