• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How much do you think the forces spend on each NCO/NCM?

scottyg

Inactive
Reaction score
I am new here, and I looked in search before I posted this (received a lot of flak for not doing that before), but I am interested in how much the government spends on each soldier/NCM?

Not just the pay, but the equipment, the ammo everything....just trying to shed a little light on the situation because it seems that not everyone is worthy of this cost!

Also, I am not a part of the forces, maybe sometime soon though, but until then I cannot hazard a guess. Thanks..

scottyg said:
...just trying to shed a little light on the situation because it seems that not everyone is worthy of this cost!

Could you expand on this, who would you deem to be worthy and who would you deem not worthy.

Are you worried they won't spend enough to make you an Infantry Officer?....

scottyg said:
...just trying to shed a little light on the situation because it seems that not everyone is worthy of this cost!

Wow...just, wow.

I'm going to be gentle here, but later I will tell you how it is perceived.

Have you ever passed the performance checks required of a soldier to become qualified?  Have you ever thrown a rucksack on your back and followed some young officer around all hours of the night through miserable conditions without knowing how much longer you had to do it?  Have you ever put your life in danger with a flag on your arm?

The reason I ask these questions is not to put you in your place, but because I want you to learn something.  There is a bit of an unwritten rule in the military that you can't really be critical of someone else unless you've done what they've done.  There are a few exceptions, but it's usually the way it works.

If some RSM came on this board and posted what you just did, he would probably meet with a better response because he has lived a day in those soldiers' boots, so he's more than qualified to give his assessment on who is good and who is junk.

You are completely afforded the right to your opinion, and as you see by that Warning label by my name I by no means claim to speak for this website, the perception that people are going to have is that you haven't lived a day in those soldiers' boots so you aren't "qualified" (for lack of a better word) to give your assessment on them.

scottyg said:
I am new here, and I looked in search before I posted this (received a lot of flak for not doing that before), but I am interested in how much the government spends on each soldier/NCM?

Not just the pay, but the equipment, the ammo everything....just trying to shed a little light on the situation because it seems that not everyone is worthy of this cost!

Also, I am not a part of the forces, maybe sometime soon though, but until then I cannot hazard a guess. Thanks..

Let's just say that the Government makes a very large investment in its CF members.  Compared to a Civilian, expenses would include things like:

CF Member                                                                                                            Civilian

Training                                                                                                      Training
Uniforms                                                                                                      Uniforms (Police, Fire, Paramedics, etc.)
Rations (While in the Field/Deployed)                                                          none
Weapons                                                                                                      Weapons (Police forces, CBSC, Park Rangers)
Ammunition                                                                                                  Ammunition (Police forces, CBSC, Park Rangers)
Vehicles                                                                                                      Vehicles (Various Gov't Agencies and Police Forces)
Quarters (Single members, All in the Field/Deployed)                                  Quarters (Various Gov't Agencies and Police Forces)
Training Areas                                                                                              Training Areas (Various Gov't Agencies and Police Forces)
Wages                                                                                                          Wages

As you can see, the money spent on the military is similar to what is spent on some civilian organiations, but being the largest Government Agency, it of course has the largest budget.  Other than the Coast Guard and the RCMP, few agencies have ships, although the West Edmonton Mall has a larger fleet of submarines.  The CF has the largest number of aircraft of any Gov't Agency.  No other agency has tanks, but some Police Forces have Armour Personnel Carriers. 

To train a soldier, police officer, fireman, paramedic, etc. is expensive, whether they are military or civilian.  To equip them is expensive.  Depending on their occupations, in or out of the military, their equipment could be very specialized and expensive.       

So.  This answer is rather vague, but if you dwell into the Federal Budget, Equipment purchases, Wages paid out, and Budgets for Training and Operations, you may find a more defined answer, one which an economist may be best to ask to explain.

And I see in my time compiling this that people have picked up on other points of your question..........

Back