• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to iron your pants (FYI)

TN2IC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I came across this link on youtube. Amazing what the computer can teach you these days. I thought this is really helpful. Even for the guys with a few years under their belts.

How to Iron your Pants

Best of Luck with your 1A's,
Regards,
Sgt Schultz

Definitely not on the reserve courses, not sure about the Reg force ones.

Heh...
Reserve recruits don't get DEUs to start with....

LOL I know that geo.... which reminds me got to make sure that the new sappers in my section know how to polish the boots and ensure that they have all items in the right spot on the tunics.

EDITED TO ADD

but Geo from this thread Ordering Uniforms Thread so in theory we should be showing them how to wear them (at least if there are officers on the course or maybe after completion of course.)

PRes Land DEU:

Officers:  Entitled immediately.

Other ranks:  Not entitled to issue until they have successfully completed 1 year of service OR upon successful completion of QL3 training, whichever comes first.

Nfld Sapper said:
Definitely not on the reserve courses, not sure about the Reg force ones.

When I did my basic, I wasn't taught. And that was a reserve one. I was taught it during my former cadets years. I learn how to iron and polish my boots, pretty good by the end. Too bad I had to return my boots. Oh well, my current ones are up to par now.

I have been thinking of going to the darkside and getting some Parade Gloss. Anyone has two cents on that issue? PMs?

Then there are some people that I sailed with that would get creases sewn into their NCD pants!

airmich said:
Then there are some people that I sailed with that would get creases sewn into their NCD pants!

Actually, I did that with my kendo (Japanese fencing) uniform. Ironing the seven pleats of a hakama (5 in the front, 2 in the back) is much harder than ironing pants.

Night Black said:
Just a thought, I believe that the Militia waits a year after basic or until QL3 is complete before receiving DEUS, where as the Naval and Air Reserves get them from the get go on their basics.

That is because NavRes and AirRes does the RegF BMQ/BOTC.

You expect me to watch a 12 minute video on ironing pants?  I could iron the pants faster than that!!
That's what dry cleaners are for!!
;)

how the heck do you sew a crease into a pair of pants?

niceasdrhuxtable said:
You starty by ironing a razor crease in your pants. This can be done by running a bar of soap down the inside of the existing crease first. The soap will add stiffness and definition to the crease when it is ironed. Then you have to use a fine, short stitch, of strong lightweight thread (same colour BTW). The stitch has to be almost on the very edge of the crease to make it work. Otherwise, you end up with a noticeable fold & stitch. When it's done properly, you can't tell. Start out with new pants for the best results

We did lots of workdress pants, on nights, in the drag chute shop, while I was Safety Systems. ;)

heh... yeah, while we were still trying to make something military outa the texaco suit.

Lousy lagoon shirts, jackets & silly baseball caps that came with them.

The only thing that accidentaly looked good were the workdress pants for women (with patch pockets)

niceasdrhuxtable said:

The Canex tailor at CFB Esquimalt does a booming business doing them.  Much easier then recceguy's direction for those that are interested.  However, I don't recommend it.  When the coxn catches you, you're on your own!

airmich said:
That was an old trick that MPs used to use with their WD.

recceguy said:
Then you have to use a fine, short stitch, of strong lightweight thread (same colour BTW). The stitch has to be almost on the very edge of the crease to make it work.

Now are you stitching all the way up and down? Or just ramdom areas, up and down the leg?

Regards,
Schultz

Sgt  Schultz said:
Now are you stitching all the way up and down? Or just ramdom areas, up and down the leg?

Regards,
Schultz

Front to back, preferably with your leg int he pants.

This allowed for a realistic view, and you were able to gauge the crease better.

dileas

tess

Sgt  Schultz said:

Regards,
Schultz

Let's try and think a bit. Random areas would kind of defeat the purpose wouldn't it? One continuous stitch, from the hem to where the crease would normally stop. Wanna be a geek, and run it to the waist? Fill your boots.

recceguy said:
Let's try and think a bit. Random areas would kind of defeat the purpose wouldn't it?
Yeah, I really didn't think it out. Good point.

One continuous stitch, from the hem to where the crease would normally stop. Wanna be a geek, and run it to the waist? Fill your boots.

Hmm, good idea.  ;D *Geek Alert*

MCpl Mconnel (2 Section Commander, Course I0079E): "Here, listen close Hart, i'm going to tell you a little secret iron when it comes to ironing, and I want you to let the whole section know."

NCdt Hart: "Yes MCpl..."

MCpl Mconnel: " You turn the iron on.... AND PRESS DOWN!!!"

Thats all I ever needed to know.

Back