• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to properly 'tab' march

elecgitarguy

Inactive
Reaction score
From the book Fighting Fit by Adrian Weale it's written:

"Tabbing is a fast marching technique that Paras have developed as as efficient (though knackering) method of getting themselves and their kit into battle. On a tab you must try to average a mile every 10 minutes without running; the technique requires you to push forward strongly with your hips and thighs and swing your arms in an exaggerated manner in order to build a strong forward momentum"

I've read in another SAS book about Bravo Two Zero, they "tabbed" all the way to the Syrian border. It sounds like a faster paced march...but does anyone have any idea how exactly its done? The author gave a pretty good description, but theres still room for some interpretation.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

There are lots of threads on advice for ruck marching, I will summarize them here: adjust your pack properly and keep moving your feet.  As to SAS super-marching tabbing thingy.  10k an hour, hour after hour, in full battle gear, cross country...I'm not buying it.  I will add I've never been in the special forces and am not an elite athlete, if someone has direct experience of such things, I'll shut my gob.

There is a big difference between rucking and tabbing.

Tabbing is harder to get used to but has different mechanics than rucking.

Rucking is walking or walking briskly with weight. You tend to still strike with your heel, roll or drop to the ball of your foot, and then push with you calf. A normal step but with a shorter pace than walking with no weight.

Tabbing is pretty hard to explain. The nearest I can come is picture cross country skiing or skating. Your knees stay bent and your glide forward. It's a much smother motion and puts the load onto your quads and hips and off your arches and knees. Your feet strike flatter, and don't travel as far in front of you on each step.

Like I said, it's hard to describe. Anyone else who can do a better job please chime in!

Find someone who can teach you properly in person and you'll get it in a few clicks.

A buddy of mine who was 2 Commando taught it to me . It REALLY helps on hills.

In the SAS show that viewed on the History Channel, wasn't TAB an acronym for Tactical Advance to Battle?

Edited for typo's

Wow
10km in a hour with full kit is very impressive indeed.
I know at my unit I came in 3rd on the BFT at 1hr 41 min,the lowest being 1 hr 30 minutes.
Man I would love to be in the shape these guys are!

Follow this through all the parts - there are ample demonstrations of what tabbing is (from a show called "P-Company") http://youtube.com/watch?v=UoLvCnFs6q4&feature=related.  Like mentioned earlier, it's easier to see than to explain.

MM

The youtube video that medicineman linked to is a good resource.

It's really not all that impressive once you've got it down.  It's just a technique - and yes, like others have said, it's easier to see than to explain.

10K an hour, in full kit, hour after hour, over broken terrain is possible - for a guy in REALLY great shape.  I never averaged more than 8K an hour, in full kit, hour after hour, over broken terrain.  And I was a little slug - I'm bigger now - but not as hard.

on episode 2 pt 2.

Poor cunnigham...lol.

excellent series,first time I've seen it.

Back